Galaxy 25 Drift?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

cgearhar

Well-Known SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Mar 23, 2006
I've recently had to change Galaxy 25's position from 97.0 to 97.6 in order to get a respectable signal. At first I thought that perhaps the wind knocked my dish out of alignment however all the other satellites that I'm hitting did not require an adjustment. Does anyone have an explanation as to why I had to make an adjustment to just one satellite? Did Galaxy 25 "drift" out of position?

I've recently had to change Galaxy 25's position from 97.0 to 97.6 in order to get a respectable signal. At first I thought that perhaps the wind knocked my dish out of alignment however all the other satellites that I'm hitting did not require an adjustment. Does anyone have an explanation as to why I had to make an adjustment to just one satellite? Did Galaxy 25 "drift" out of position?

I assume that you're talking about Galaxy 19, since Galaxy 25 is at 93, not 97.

It definately wouldn't be that far off. According to Space-Trak, it is between 97.03 to 97.11 , based on keps that are less than 3 days old.
Usually, when people experience problems like this, it's because there is interferrence from a signal on some nearby sat, and moving the aim off the correct aim affects the interferrence more than the signal you're looking for.

Also a possibility is that sometimes the motors seem to forget where they are, and you need to send it to zero to remember. Also, sometimes motors go to different places if you're going there from different directions, due to free play in the gears.

All the above are possibilities, but it seems like sometimes the darn motors just do what you describe for no logical reason. I've seen that happen on several occasions, just on one sat, for a few days. Never did figure out why. But I'm confident that it isn't the sat moving.

Last edited:
All the above are possibilities, but it seems like sometimes the darn motors just do what you describe for no logical reason. I've seen that happen on several occasions, just on one sat, for a few days. Never did figure out why. But I'm confident that it isn't the sat moving.

so true BJ

I've had my motor be off on a couple satellites numerous times...so I just reset the diseqc 1.2 (since I dont use USALS) and all is well :)

Yeah it looks like Galaxy 25 is now Galaxy 19. Sorry about that. I tried going to zero and then back to 97 degree but same deal. Maybe a tooth broke off of the gear right over G19. I'm a chronic satellite surfer so maybe I'm just wearing the darn thing out! ;)

I notice a strong diference in signal between CBS transponders and TCT-HD channel. CBS drifts west, TCT and others are right about 97

i4tas,

It appears you are correct. Some transponders on G19 are strongest on 97.0 while others are strongest on 97.6 (at least on my system). That's very odd given the fact that they're all riding on the same satellite.

It does seem odd, but this was also noticed on 123W when PBS went live on 125W. There were some transponders on G18 that had similar frequencies to the PBS transponders, so you had to point your motor to ~122.5W, and for PBS you had to point your dish to ~125.5W.
There is a thread around here somewhere about that.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

C-band on 90cm dish, is it worth it? (Story with Pics)

Urgent, Do I need LNB switch/splitter if I am using single LNB?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts