Galaxy S III

Do you wipe out all of your text messages or do you restore them ? I have it "learn" from there (I text just like I type - all proper grammar and spelling, etc, etc !).

Anybody know how to disable the side slide zoom for the email client that comes on the s3?
Frustrates me when I'm trying to scroll down the page and if my finger gets too close to the right side edge, the text grows or shrinks depending on the which direction of your finger.

Proof that my phone is buttery smooth lol 1362553966618.jpg

Posted Using The New SatelliteGuys Reader App!

Bostitch Stapler - 1 Galaxy S3 - 0

My 3 month old Galaxy S3 took a stapler drop on my desk this afternoon from about 18 inches and shattered the screen. Ordering a new glass, to try and replace it myself. No one around here will touch it for less than $300. They all want to replace the glass and digitizer together.

I will have to decide on a replacement, if my surgical skills are not up to par.

Mike was wondering how you made out with your screen replacement? My wife dropped her SIII last week and cracked the screen. Phone is 30 months old and BB protection plan expired at 24. Verizon won't upgrade the phone without returning a working phone so we need to replace the screen. Our techie son is willing to try the repair for us. Wondering what the pitfalls are. He is a good hands on fixit kind of kid and has experience fixing computers and game consoles. Any advice?

Mike was wondering how you made out with your screen replacement? My wife dropped her SIII last week and cracked the screen. Phone is 30 months old and BB protection plan expired at 24. Verizon won't upgrade the phone without returning a working phone so we need to replace the screen. Our techie son is willing to try the repair for us. Wondering what the pitfalls are. He is a good hands on fixit kind of kid and has experience fixing computers and game consoles. Any advice?

I didn't.
I bought a Note 2 instead which I later had knocked out of my hands and shattered several months later. At that time, I found a local store that replaced the screen on both of them. They did a good job on the S3 but kind of screwed up the Note 2. My mom is still using the S3. The Note 2 is my backup phone and mini tablet I use in the field for notes. I have a MotoX 2nd Gen now.

I took the Note 2 apart to fix some stuff the store messed up, which was easier as the store had already heated up the digitizer and removed the glue residue and broken glass. So you need to be really careful and use very low heat to soften the glue to remove the glass. Get it too hot and you will damage the digitizer. Then make sure and get a good seal with the double sided tape when replacing with the new glass to prevent any dust getting under the glass. The S3 is smaller than the Note 2, so it doesn't have the spacer layer to keep the glass from sagging onto the digitizer. That was the first problem with my Note 2 repair, then they cut one of the touch buttons wires, so be careful detaching the buttons from the glass or you will be replacing the button assembly too.

Thanks for that. We just need to get it so we can trade it for a Galaxy 6. When she got the phone we got the 2 year plan and they told us plans only go two years because after that you are off plan and can just get a new phone. Now 30 months later they say Verizon requires a working phone to be returned. It's the edge program. He said she's not eligible for a regular upgrade until December. We upgraded one of our kids phones back at Christmas and for some reason it used his and her upgrade.

Thanks for that. We just need to get it so we can trade it for a Galaxy 6. When she got the phone we got the 2 year plan and they told us plans only go two years because after that you are off plan and can just get a new phone. Now 30 months later they say Verizon requires a working phone to be returned. It's the edge program. He said she's not eligible for a regular upgrade until December. We upgraded one of our kids phones back at Christmas and for some reason it used his and her upgrade.

I was told Verizon edge requires the full balance to be paid off before you can upgrade. If that's true, there's no point in doing it. It used to be 50% of the device , then I heard 75%.

We decided to try to fix my wife's Galaxy. My 19 YO techie son did the repair with an assist to me. He ordered the new glass screen for $18. I borrowed a heat gun from a coworker. The most difficult part was heat gunning the old shattered screen off without damaging the phone. Also little shards of glass got everywhere so if you try this take precautions. After the shattered screen was off there was a thick layer of glue to get off. We used denatured alcohol and the screen kit came with wonderful tweezers to pick the glue off a bit at a time. We used an eye dropper to drop alcohol onto the glue a little at a time and then eventually got it all off. Amazingly the touch screen under the glue was pristine and not a scratch. Hard to believe because the glass screen was shattered pretty good. After cleaning the screen up with screen cleaner, the kit came with 2 sided tape to put around the edges and then the new screen popped right on. The phone looks like brand new again except for the scuff on the plastic corner where the phone hit the pavement. The only difference between the old and new screen is the new screen does not have the Samsung logo on it like the old one. Took a little over an hour for the complete repair. Another coworker told me he took his phone to the mall kiosk and had his shattered screen replaced and it was $100. So to us it was worth an hour of labor to fix it and the $18 screen kit. It was also good experience for my son who would like to get into that kind of work.

Reactions: osu1991
Some are fairly easy to do while others are not. My daughter has an iPhone 4s that she broke the screen on. I looked at replacing it myself but it literally involved a total disassembly of the phone. My wife shattered the screen on her S4 but it still worked (meaning the digitizer was fine). I read some guides and without having a) a heat gun and b) an infrared lamp to activate the glue, also decided to pass on it. My wife thought she could do it though. She broke something in the process as the digitizer didn't work when she did get it reassembled. She tried to claim it must have broke when she dropped it (forgetting the fact that it all worked just fine until she worked on it - an argument I chose not to bother with !!). A replacement digitizer was $75 and higher and we weren't going that route. She should have left well enough alone as she was due for an upgrade in ~3 months. Ended up buying an LG G3 (very slightly used) off Craigslist.

Replacing the battery on the 4s, on the other hand, takes 10 minutes. After I did it, I told her, "tell your friends I can replace their batteries for cheap!". They would take them to little stores, kiosks in the mall, etc and I'll bet they pay $50+ to get it done.

Hey, sorry to resurrect this ancient thread, but I'm trying to help out a friend. His Samsung Galaxy SIII is on its last legs (microUSB port is flakey, battery is weak, screen is cracked and losing brightness) but he is not willing to pay much money on a new Galaxy phone. A coworker recently upgraded to the Galaxy S8+ (it's wery nice) and his Galaxy S4 is available for $20. However, it's a Verizon i545 model and my friend has AT&T bundled with his home Internet, phone, and DirecTV. I've read enough to see that there is almost zero chance of getting a compatible LTE connection where he lives, so it would be 3G speeds at the most. The shame is the S4 lived its life inside an Otterbox and looks pristine.

I think he needs to bite the bullet and part with his money. I saw AT&T has $299 refurbished Galaxy S7 phones, but I believe that price is contingent on a 24-month commitment with AT&T Wireless. Looking at some of the used phone traders, it's possible he could get a Galaxy S5 for just under $200. But at that point, I'd rather see him get a new Moto G5 for the same price.

if hes on a budget
go to swappa.com
find an att phone
they are cheap, and no commitment

you can even get new/old stock at times

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts