Galaxy12 moving to 129.

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.
Space News claims Intelsat lost control/contact of Galaxy 15 on April 5th. The transponders are continuing to function. Hopefully they will regain control.

They have put out a press release announcing intended transfer of sevices to Galaxy 12 and made a filing yesterday stating Galaxy 15 will drift approximately 0.8 degrees by May 10.

If Intelsat can't command the G15 spacecraft, it will interfere with AMC-11, which operates on the same frequencies. It's more than a simple "hot swap" of customers.

If you can't command the spacecraft, you can't turn off transponders after bifurcating with G12. You can't get it to a "graveyard" orbit either. Eventually, it will begin to drift out of its box and interfere with adjacent spacecraft.

I got it here: We Have A Problem | Really Rocket Science

SES-1 is based on the same hardware? That's just wonderful... I'm glad they didn't launch it yet.

Guess they could blow it up maybe....we surely have plenty of rockets sitting around don't we? Sorry just the mad scientist in me wanting to come out....Blind

I'm not so sure. It was my understanding there is normally a separate, independent payload that can move the bird to a graveyard orbit in failure scenarios such as this.

Typical FCC requirement is to hold about 7 -15 kg of fuel in reserve to lift the satellite 300 km at end of life. No special systems.

They apparantly had some type of failure in the station keeping system. Could be fuel, could be computer, could be anything and only appears to affect station keeping.

5 years old and probable in place cost of something like 300 million dollars

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts