GAME ON! Echostar XI successfully reaches Geo-synchronous Transfer orbit!

Should be about right. E11 departed 135.5 about 8/6. Today, 8 days later, it is passing 122.7 this morning, the halfway point to 110. 7 more days or so should do it.

Curious, anyone know why testing took longer than anticipated? Hope nothing went wrong.

when it arrives at 110, it will take a couple of days to park it so one might expect something around 22-23. They have to snuggle up to E8/E10 which is delicate work. - Final location continually moves around a box about 0.05 degrees on a side and they don't want them bouncing off each other

Hello I'm new to this satellite stuff so please be easy on me. I hope this is the right place to ask this question? I'm at the edge of the 119 footprint, signal not always strong, on the Tech Forum show they said we might notice an increase in signal strength with the EchoStar 11. Will this new satellites presence affect my signal strength or alter the footprint for the 119 signal or does it just affect 110 signals? If so when does the Echo 11 start transmitting?
Thanks for any input.

Last edited:
All in all, a very nice process from start to finish. Means all the more after the last 2 satellite failures.

when it arrives at 110, it will take a couple of days to park it so one might expect something around 22-23. They have to snuggle up to E8/E10 which is delicate work. - Final location continually moves around a box about 0.05 degrees on a side and they don't want them bouncing off each other

It's too bad we don't have a camera up there - I'd love to watch that "ballet".

It's too bad we don't have a camera up there - I'd love to watch that "ballet".

It would be quite boring to watch. There are several factors, including the fact that space is incredibly vast, and these satellites will likely be parked so far apart that they couldn't be seen by the naked eye.

I could be off on the math, but Geosynch orbit is at ~22,000 miles. Given the circumference, parking them as "close" together as 1 mile -- that would be well within the margin of error of the satellite's pointing.

Even 100 miles apart, the distance between these two satellites would be seen as a single point from the ground with a dish the size that we're using.

Cheers,

Geo orbit

It would be quite boring to watch. There are several factors, including the fact that space is incredibly vast, and these satellites will likely be parked so far apart that they couldn't be seen by the naked eye.

I could be off on the math, but Geosynch orbit is at ~22,000 miles. Given the circumference, parking them as "close" together as 1 mile -- that would be well within the margin of error of the satellite's pointing.

Even 100 miles apart, the distance between these two satellites would be seen as a single point from the ground with a dish the size that we're using.

Cheers,

The "magic" altitude of 22,300 miles and the box that a sat fly within is about 75 miles.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts