Gamefly

jgags6

Pub Member / Supporter
Original poster
Lifetime Supporter
Jan 31, 2006
Rockford,IL
Just wondering if anyone uses Gamefly. I was thinkning about doing it but I think that 15.99 is a little pricey for just 1 game at a time. Is there any other good sites out there for video games. Thanks.

i did and liked it except it took a week for them to ship the game from CA. Too much time with no game. Not sure if this has changed. Overall good service except for transit time for me in WI.

i did and liked it except it took a week for them to ship the game from CA. Too much time with no game. Not sure if this has changed. Overall good service except for transit time for me in WI.

actually they now have 4 shipping centers.

Los Angeles, CA, Pittsburgh, PA, Tampa, FL and Austin, TX

I have the 2 game at a time plan and I love it. You can rent brand new games and buy the one you are renting for up to 50% off retail price.

Hi -

I'm new around here and asking questions... I figured I'd try to answer one and make myself useful.

I've dabbled with a few online game rental services and Gamefly is really the only one worth the time and money. In an economy like this it's really the only option going if you want to get your hands on good titles without going broke. When you do the math they're actually pretty economical. More so than most of the others. The way I see it, the first time you put a lousy game back in the mail the service has pretty much paid for itself a few times over.

I know they have a contest going this month for new sign ups via this page (gamefly.votigo.com) where they're giving away $1000/week in October. Kinda late in the game but this would be the last week to get in on it if you were planning to sign up. An extra grand for the effort isn't a bad incentive.

I recommend gamefly. It's not as fast as Netflix for me (I live in CT and the closest distributor is PA) but it is a very nice alternative to buying games then selling them when you're done and losing money on the deal, or having to deal with short game rentals.

I recommend gamefly. It's not as fast as Netflix for me (I live in CT and the closest distributor is PA) but it is a very nice alternative to buying games then selling them when you're done and losing money on the deal, or having to deal with short game rentals.

True... and if you do have games you want to trade in Gamefly offers a trade-in option where the credits on your trade go directly toward the cost of your subscription which is a cool option if you're into getting rid of the clutter and not replacing it with more.

Avoid Gottaplay.com at all costs. I wish I had first read some online reviews I found later before I signed up. They have a notoriously slow turn around time for games, we're talking weeks for a game that's "Available."

When I cancelled after 6 weeks of service (1 month paid, two weeks free), I had in my possession only one game for one week (from the bottom of my list at that). The second "Available" game finally arrived after 3 weeks, which I immiadetely sent backs via certified mail after cancelling, having read of problems from online reviews. Nonetheless, they still said they never got the game back and charged my credit card $50. I had to get a postal inspector involved to settle the matter.

Another thing about GF is that I've found that if I have a free spot in my queue and a game is coming out, I've often had it shipped out the day it came out. I got Bioshock and Madden 09 and Ninja Gaiden 2 when they came out, and I ended up with it in my mailbox about 2 days later. Thing is you need to make sure you send your stuff in early so the slot will be open. I missed out on GH:WT because I sent my game in a day late, but I plan on getting LBP when it ships out this week.

Avoid Gottaplay.com at all costs. I wish I had first read some online reviews I found later before I signed up. They have a notoriously slow turn around time for games, we're talking weeks for a game that's "Available."

When I cancelled after 6 weeks of service (1 month paid, two weeks free), I had in my possession only one game for one week (from the bottom of my list at that). The second "Available" game finally arrived after 3 weeks, which I immiadetely sent backs via certified mail after cancelling, having read of problems from online reviews. Nonetheless, they still said they never got the game back and charged my credit card $50. I had to get a postal inspector involved to settle the matter.

Holy... that's awful. I've heard some less than stellar things about them but that's over the top. Sounds like a total scam. What a waste...

Only 1 negative experience with Gamefly. If/when you go to cancel and want to keep the game you have.... CLICK KEEP BEFORE CANCELING. I kept Devil May Cry 4. They charged me almost $50 for it when it was $21 in their used store for even non-members of the service! They cited it was a 'replacement fee' instead of the normal 'keep it' pricing.

I sent it back and received a refund... and given the belt tightening in my household I'll likely resub despite the bad experience due to the dearth of good games being released. It helps that I have a $9.95/mo for the first month 'come back to us' offer sitting in my gmail account.