Gas Price Info With National Gas Temperature Map

I'd rather pay more for gasolines that help reduce carbon buildup in the engine. I know that the gas comes from the same refinery but it's the additives that make the difference. So, I don't use gasbuddy.
How often have you heard about problems with carbon build-up (other than in petroleum company advertising)?

I'd rather pay more for gasolines that help reduce carbon buildup in the engine. I know that the gas comes from the same refinery but it's the additives that make the difference. So, I don't use gasbuddy.
It not only comes from the same refinery, it flows through the same pipeline to the fuel depots. Any additive would have to be added at the local depot storage tank. I buy the cheapest gas I can find. I keep my vehicles for a long time, and I never had a problem with "carbon buildup".

Reactions: Bobby
It not only comes from the same refinery, it flows through the same pipeline to the fuel depots. Any additive would have to be added at the local depot storage tank. I buy the cheapest gas I can find. I keep my vehicles for a long time, and I never had a problem with "carbon buildup".
The only equipment that I go out of my way to fuel is my outdoor power equipment. There I use "boat gas" (non-ethanol) exclusively. Brand is never a question and certainly little assurance of consistency given that most stations are franchises trading mostly on the name.

Reactions: Tom Speer
The only equipment that I go out of my way to fuel is my outdoor power equipment. There I use "boat gas" (non-ethanol) exclusively. Brand is never a question and certainly little assurance of consistency given that most stations are franchises trading mostly on the name.
i agree. But the cheapest gas station near me sells 2 grades, regular and premium no-lead.

I try to use gas from ‘Top Tier’ stations since that’s what Lexus recommends, but within that I try to use Gas Buddy to find those stations with the cheapest price. The wife’s car requires premium and some stations charge .90 cents more than regular, a spread that’s out of line IMHO.

The wife’s car requires premium and some stations charge .90 cents more than regular, a spread that’s out of line IMHO.
I wonder if that premium that comes at a premium isn't boat gas rather than 92 octane with ethanol as Tom witnesses.

At least two of my nearest stations only offer regular with ethanol and premium without ethanol. The price difference is substantial between the two grades where it would otherwise be 30 cents/gallon or so.

I wonder if that premium that comes at a premium isn't boat gas rather than 92 octane with ethanol as Tom witnesses.

At least two of my nearest stations only offer regular with ethanol and premium without ethanol. The price difference is substantial between the two grades where it would otherwise be 30 cents/gallon or so.
No, not boat gas. IMHO they hike the price in premium so they can reduce the price of regular.

No, not boat gas. IMHO they hike the price in premium so they can reduce the price of regular.
Given that most cars run on regular, I doubt any amount of raising the premium price is going to effectively subsidize dropping the regular price.

If I'm not wrong, the price of any grade is supposed to be priced according to futures and not some other metric.

Given that most cars run on regular, I doubt any amount of raising the premium price is going to effectively subsidize dropping the regular price.

If I'm not wrong, the price of any grade is supposed to be priced according to futures and not some other metric.
The point is they can lower their regular fuel price to help compete with the non-major brands by making up the lost revenue by increasing the premium prices.

The point is they can lower their regular fuel price to help compete with the non-major brands by making up the lost revenue by increasing the premium prices.
I don't believe that they have that kind of freedom but it may depend on the jurisdiction. Oregon has laws about how gas prices can be established.

There are very few winners in gas price wars as the customers who are drawn in by them aren't very likely to hang around if there's a better deal to be had anywhere else. Gasbuddy was built on this premise.

Cutting your profits by 20 cents on thousands of gallons of regular isn't likely to be made up for by jacking your premium prices by $1.00 with its relatively piddly proportion of gallons pumped.

As for me, I'd be happy to be able to get a reasonable deal on non-corn gasoline.

I just filled up at $3.04 here at the Speedway near me in New Bern NC. The Mobil across the street was the same price. The usually cheaper stations at Walmart, BP and GoGas are all at $3.09.