General Instrument 2750R

Status
Please reply by conversation.

linuxman

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jul 16, 2006
North West of St. Louis, MO
Also on another subject while I am waiting on the welder.

As I talked about in the Spun aluminum solid thread, when I get the next dish up, I am going to use one of my old analog units to run the 7.5' Perfect 10 dish and hook the computer tuner to it.

I have three different analog receivers that I could use.

1. GI 2750R have no manual or history other than it works
2. Toshiba TRX-1820 with manual and not used more than 3 years.
3. US Electronics Legacy (Drake ESR-1524) bought NIB last fall and only used a couple of months. (Have manual and everything else)

Edit: I also have a HT System VIII +, but I think the satellite formats in it are too old for todays birds. I do have the manual and remote for it too and know the history on it. I might consider using it or if someone needs it we might work something out.

I have 3 - VC2 modules now not being used so I am covered there.

I have gotten these units out and hooked them up just to go through the setup screens and try and decide which I like best for todays world and setting up new more modern type satellites.

If you have used any of the above analog receivers, would you post what you like about it and why I should use it?

Secondly, I am leaning towards the GI 2750R, so if you have a manual for the GI 2750R, can you scan it in and post it to the manual section in the FTA general area? Or, copy it and mail or fax it to me? I'll be glad to pay the postage.

Thanks,

Fred

Last edited:
Think I'd start with the Toshiba first, just because I have a 1520 and I like the way it sets up. Has good video, and does that 'autopeak' thing which is cool.
Put it on a satellite, find a signal someplace and then it steps the motor back and forth in tiny increments to get the best signal, then does the same with the polarity setting. I think it will have some of the positions stored already, you may have to give them current names (if it lets you rename, I forget).
I almost had a drake but thats the only thing I ever got ripped on from ebay, the guy sent me a piece of junk that looked like the battery in vc module had exploded. All the liquids run out inside the rec, remote was broke. Rec would turn on but was mostly useless.

Hey Turbosat,

The Toshiba is a nice receiver for sure. I'll have to read up on the manual and see what satellite formats it will let you put in for non-programmed satellites and how it will let you name them.

Fred

well not that it matters the 1520 is probably newer than the 2750
the 1520 is the bottom of the pile on models from toshiba as 1520 , 1820 & 2220
the 2750 should be the top of the line from GI befor switching to the GI 350i, 450i, 550i, & 650i

so the 2750 would rank up there with the 650i although i know the 650i is menu driven ( although it might be basic) it also has vcr timers which are not needed now (but can be set to automatically move the dish)

the GI2410 was the basic (low end) receiver in this line and the manual is in the manual section so it might help with basic stuff.

i'm not sure on the Legacy but as moving the dish and receiving analog they all should be equally matched.

here is a thought if you are hooking up a non corotor , the older units might not be able to switch V & H via the coax. i know the newer models (920, 650i 450i ect) give you that option ( in the menu)

Hey George,

I have been reading the manuals that I have and doing some research on the 2750 with what little there is on line for that receiver. :eek:

The GI 2750 will only store up to 32 satellites.
The Tosh 1820 will store 48.
The Legacy will store 50.

You are correct, the older receivers won't run a voltage controlled LNBF.

I have also been reading the GI 450i manual you submitted to the manual section. It will store up to 60 satellites. Maybe I should look around to find one of those or the 650i. It would be a newer format and do the voltage controlled thing.

Maybe someone here has one to sell or trade for one of the above. I know the HTS has a special function with audio that the others don't have.

Maybe some more people will chime in here. :D

Fred

there is a 650 listed in the classifieds they pop up on the auction site often

will the legacy or the toshiba control voltage . is there a reason you need more than 32 or 48 satellites (for moving). since i swapped to vbox i like it best for moving the dish.

there is a 650 listed in the classifieds they pop up on the auction site often
The only one I saw in the classified section was almost a year old. I found it by doing a search, and they probably don't have it any longer.

will the legacy or the toshiba control voltage?
The Legacy will not. The Toshiba looks like it will from the manual and the back. It also looks like the 2750i from the back might, but without a manual it is hard to tell.

is there a reason you need more than 32 or 48 satellites (for moving). since i swapped to vbox i like it best for moving the dish.
As I said, this analog is going to be used for two reasons. Looking for analog feeds, and more importantly positioning for the computer tuner. I may have to buy a third (I already have two) VBox if the Passion comes out and it performs like it is advertised to do.

The numbers of satellites stored include C and Ku each counted individually so in reality 32 satellites are not very many positions.

Besides, you all know me by now. :D Bigger is usually better.

Fred

well also read about the toshiba 2220 it was their top of the line

someone listed buying a toshiba 120 ( it might be newer i don't know) i know there are some nib on ebay

i have a nextwave 500 its a basic receiver with hard to work menu system ( i need to try it more ) so for now mark it off your list.

Hey George,

I mis-read the Toshiba TRX-1820 number of satellites. You can have 24 C-Band and 24 Ku Band satellites programmed in. That would give you a possibility of 48 positions which isn't as bad as I had previously thought.

Still researching.

Fred

GI 2750R manual

Anyone still looking for the manual for the General Instruments 2750R manual? When I bought my house it had one of those giant satellite dishes in the back yard and a GI 2750R receiver. I am looking to get rid of all of it this summer (not sure how except scrap it). I do have the manual, remote, cables etc if anyone is interested.

daniel

When I bought my house it had one of those giant satellite dishes in the back yard and a GI 2750R receiver. I am looking to get rid of all of it this summer
Post some pictures of the dish and your approximate location, and someone might come and take the dish off your hands if we can't convince you to re-furb it and use it for Legal Free TV, otherwise known as FTA TV. :)

If you can scan the manual in and post it in the manual section, I would like to have a copy.

Sure I can scan the manual in when I get home. I'll take some pics of the dish as well. FTA TV sounds interesting, however I already cut the cable that was coming into the house and sealed up the hole. It was a giant cable with what seemed like 4-5 coax lines in a flat ribbon style. So if I'm even going to think about getting into the FTA TV stuff, I already know I would have to address that issue.

So if I'm even going to think about getting into the FTA TV stuff, I already know I would have to address that issue.
That wouldn't be a big problem to fix. Just put a grounding block in for the coax, and a terminal strip in for the other wires, and you have an automatic junction box. Just have to re-drill the hole and put new cable into the house.

I see your location in the upper right. I wish more guys would do that. Saves guessing.

Looking forward to your pictures. :)

Nobody at work seems to have a digital camera on them today and work's camera's battery is dead. The pics might have to wait till tomorrow.

We will Wait! I have not yet been to WI., I'm from the other W -- WA.! (WV is 2 words) but that sounds like a fun project. I wish I could be there to "watch" you set it up... (with 2 hands, 2 or 3 tool boxes - yeah "watch"!)
Looking for pictures and progress reportson your getting it working.

And WELCOME.
POP

I use the Toshiba TRX-1420 and love it
The 1420 has IR remote and no TI filter...the 1520 is UHF and has a TI filter :)

damn...he's somewhat close to me. Looks like you're just south of Eau Claire (I'm in Minneapolis)

Yep south of Eau Claire. Not sure I'm going to try and get it working just yet, I don't really know what this FTA TV is or what you can get with it. I'll have to do some research first.

Check ouot thelist which is at the top of the page.

The C-Band stuff is pretty neat. KU is nothing to sneeze at but on C-band there are a bunch of network feeds and other channels :)

I have an orb-7500 analog that has that autopeak option.
It has a really strong UHF remote that will work from down the street!!

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)