Generics

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Candid

SatelliteGuys Guru
Original poster
Dec 10, 2010
Valley of the Shadow
The below is a c&p from a document "4DTV Generics" that I am reading for the first time and I would like some clarification on a few things at present.

I can follow the CE chart that shows the channel range of 320-339 for an I.F of 1210 but where on Lyngsat would you go or read to find out where the generics are as highlighted below?

Will the generics work on the Dsr 922 after January 04, 2011 or those have nothing to do with what ever Motorola is doing?

You read Lyngsat one day to discover that Cini Latino is on IA 13, 3940, V, 29270.
Highlighting the 3940 on the Lyngsat chart reveals an I.F. of 1210. Using the Chart, find
a generic and channel that matches closest to the known parameters.
The CE chart shows the right frequency/ SR as being CE channels 320 - 339. Using the
steps in situation A and with DSR-905, program in CE. Then tune channels 320 - 339 until you see Cini Latino (it's 322)

Thanks,​

Candid​

Hi Candid,

Take a look at this document from tvropro's site.. It lists the generics. http://www.themusicworkshopchicago.com/4dtv/generic.pdf

I'm sorry that I don't have time to explain more right now, but I thought I'd point out tvropro's page that lists the generics - it might more sense after you've seen this doc.

It was Tvropro website that I first saw the document and although I understand how to use the chart, I am not sure where to go on Lyngsat to find where the generics are as indicated in the c&p from the document from the website. "You read Lyngsat one day to discover that Cini Latino is on IA 13, 3940, V, 29270. Highlighting the 3940 on the Lyngsat chart reveals an I.F. of 1210".

The document points to somewhere on Lyngsat where you can read where the gererics are located as highlighted above. I also understand you can go on the satellite and try any or all of the gererics until you find something, so I was wondering if Lyngsat had some place that would eliminate some of the hit or miss to locate these generics.

Thanks,

Candid

That transponder doesnt exist anymore...I dont see that channel anywhere

I think that I am not explaining myself properly. I am not looking for that channel. My query is where on Lyngsat would you go to find where generics are on any satellite?

Thanks,

Candid

well lets see if I can explain it....I havent used generics in a while. I have a Digitrans-7150 that I can just manually type in the transponder info.

When looking at Lyngsat the transponders that say "Digicipher II" are the ones the 4DTV can usually pick up. Now lets look at 91W (Galxy 17 AKA GB)
If you see transponder 4115 there are some free channels. Now if the 4DTV is mapped for it, there will be a channel number in red (like it says MavTV is 400). Now there are a couple free channels like NWCN but no channel number. Therefore it isnt mapped and generics come into play.

Here is how to know what generic to use
1. Take the frequency (4115) and subtract from 5150 (which is the C-Band LNB Frequency)...you get 1035. That is the IF frequency
2. The polarity and symbol rate have to match the generic. In this case 19510 symbol rate H polarity
3. Now look at the generic lists. The link davage posted has them. So I look through the list for 1035 H 19510. The closest thing we find is on "CG" TP21. If its off by 5 that should still lock a signal. So in your 4DTV select CG as the satellite.
4. The list shows channels 500-509 so just channel up down through 500-509. NWCN should show a pic on one of those channels

Attachments

• Untitled.jpg
    Untitled.jpg
    135 KB · Views: 147
well lets see if I can explain it....I havent used generics in a while. I have a Digitrans-7150 that I can just manually type in the transponder info.

When looking at Lyngsat the transponders that say "Digicipher II" are the ones the 4DTV can usually pick up. Now lets look at 91W (Galxy 17 AKA GB)
If you see transponder 4115 there are some free channels. Now if the 4DTV is mapped for it, there will be a channel number in red (like it says MavTV is 400). Now there are a couple free channels like NWCN but no channel number. Therefore it isnt mapped and generics come into play.

Here is how to know what generic to use
1. Take the frequency (4115) and subtract from 5150 (which is the C-Band LNB Frequency)...you get 1035. That is the IF frequency
2. The polarity and symbol rate have to match the generic. In this case 19510 symbol rate H polarity
3. Now look at the generic lists. The link davage posted has them. So I look through the list for 1035 H 19510. The closest thing we find is on "CG" TP21. If its off by 5 that should still lock a signal. So in your 4DTV select CG as the satellite.
4. The list shows channels 500-509 so just channel up down through 500-509. NWCN should show a pic on one of those channels

Thank You. Sorry for not explaining myself properly in the other post.

I now understand what the document was referring to by the term saying "reading Lyngsat" from your post above.

Regards,

Candid

It was Tvropro website that I first saw the document and although I understand how to use the chart, I am not sure where to go on Lyngsat to find where the generics are as indicated in the c&p from the document from the website. "You read Lyngsat one day to discover that Cini Latino is on IA 13, 3940, V, 29270. Highlighting the 3940 on the Lyngsat chart reveals an I.F. of 1210".

The document points to somewhere on Lyngsat where you can read where the gererics are located as highlighted above. I also understand you can go on the satellite and try any or all of the gererics until you find something, so I was wondering if Lyngsat had some place that would eliminate some of the hit or miss to locate these generics.

Thanks,

Candid
Just a note to explain what the document might be referring to.

If I recall correctly, Lyngsat used to calculate the I.F. for you when you hovered over ("highlighted" ?) the TP frequency. It effectively did what Iceberg described in step 1 of his post. I don't think it does that now and you will have to caculate it.

C-Band IF=LO-Frequency
Ku IF=Frequency-LO.

where:
IF=Intermediate Frequency
LO=Local Oscillator frequency (C-Band LO=5150, Ku LO=10750)
Frequency=Frequency of Downlink Transponder

This and other info allows you to pick the appropriate generic (if one exists) as Iceberg also described.

DRCars

Yeah it use to do that in IE...if you hovered it listed the IF frequency. Otherwise the rest is a good explanation :)

Status
Please reply by conversation.