Genie + 2 DVRs

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

n4uaj

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Oct 21, 2006
This ain't a real big deal to me but last week when I ordered the Genie, the CRS seemed to think I would be able to record 9 things at once. When it was installed on Sunday, the installer had me make choice of which DVR would only have one tuner as the limit was 8. 5 on the genie 2 on hr24 and 1 on hr21. I'm inclined to believe the installer but out of curiosity has anyone else on here had to give up a tuner on a DVR to make this work?

You should call Directv and tell them the installer only used a 8 tuner SWM setup and you have 9 tuners. The proper install would have been using a SWM16 switch.
They should come back out and do it properly so that all DVRs can use all their tuners.

If you had a service call or upgrade install, etc, this switch should have been installed at no additional cost.

If you ordered the Genie through DIRECTV, and they installed it, then they should have upgraded you to a SWiM16 switch which would allow you to record 9 things at once as part of the Genie installation.

Yes, a call to customer service is definitely in order.

I would think setting it up as a single tuner would do it, but that's purely supposition on my part.

Yea during the install he asked which bedroom dvd was used the most as he would set it up with two tuners. After setting up the HR24 with 2 then went to the 21 and it specifically said on the menu only one swm tuner available. So if I go out and look at the switch that the dish goes into and all others come out it should indicate which switch is used?

A swm8 says 8 channel swm on the top, the swm16 says 16 channel swm.

Well it is definitely an 8. I called the installer back and lo and behold he does not do work for Directv any longer. So I called DTV this morning and someone is coming out tomorrow to fix it. Funny thing though is this installer had sent some sort of serial # that indicated a swm 16 had been used. I guess we need to beware of installers in mini trucks with ladder racks instead of a real Directv van.

could be worse
could turn an old unit over to the tech, then get a bill for a bunch of pay per views that were ordered after you turned said unit over..............

A real directv tech here now. What I thought was an 8 switch turns out to be a splitter. He also put in the wrong power inserter. I was watching the morning news when the guy pulled up this morning and the genie started freezing up on live tv so there is an outside chance he may swap the 34 for a 44. Fingers crossed:)

A real directv tech here now. What I thought was an 8 switch turns out to be a splitter. He also put in the wrong power inserter. I was watching the morning news when the guy pulled up this morning and the genie started freezing up on live tv so there is an outside chance he may swap the 34 for a 44. Fingers crossed:)

yeah, you'll need a bigger power inserter for the SWM-16. not really that it is the wrong one, just that the 8-way swm splitter has a different power inserter.

A 21 volt power inserter will work fine with a splitter and swm lnb only, but you must use a 29 volt model for a swm8 or swm16.

Well not only did the real directv dude fix this last install, he went back to the dish and fixed stuff that the original HD dish installer had wrong. Dish wasn't grounded and the pole it was on was not in concrete. All that is right now and he even installed all the stuff needed for me to have supported whole home dvr. When it first came out, I ran my own ethernet and had it activated as unsupported. I didn't get the 34 replaced with a 44 but he told me that if it started random freezing again in the next 30 days to give him a call and he would come out with a 44 to replace it. So far all is working as advertised even though I may never record nine things at once, I do have that option now and the HR21 is back to two tuners:D

You need to swim 16 because you have 9 channels any thank over 8 channels you need a 16

Posted Via The FREE SatelliteGuys Reader App!

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts