Genie and Mini installation

Status
Please reply by conversation.

bryfree

Original poster
Aug 22, 2013
United States
I am switching (trying to anyway) to DirectTV, after being a Dish Network customer for the past 15 years. I am finally fed up with paying $175/month and missing 40+ Braves games this season. And, the NFL Sunday Ticket also appeals to me.

The installer came out today, but refused to install. First, he didn't like that the current dish was too far from the house (about 90-100 ft). It would be possible to install the directv dish about 20 ft closer, I think. There is no other suitable area for a line of sight, aside from a roof install which I am not interested in.

Then, I mentioned that I plan to install the Genie and two mini clients in the same location in my basement, and distribute them via HDMI to the TVs in other rooms. His immediate response was, "It won't work!". When I asked why not, he started asking about how I plan to change the channels, etc..

From what I've been able to gather, the Genie and mini work with RF remotes. I specifically requested RF remotes when I ordered by phone and they made a note of it for the installation. The installer has told me repeatedly that RF remotes won't work in this configuration because changing the channel on one of the units would change the channel on all of them. I don't understand how an installation with RF remotes would work any differently if the units were in other rooms as opposed to the same location.

So, could someone please enlighten me...

1) Can you install a Genie and two minis in a single location, distribute the a/v to the TVs throughout the house via HDMI, and control them with RF remotes independently?

2) Can you control the Genie and two minis via a smartphone remote app via wifi?

3) What is the maximum acceptable cable distance from Genie receiver to sat dish?

If you were to get the HR44 (Genie) and C41's (minis) Then the new RF remotes would work. If your installer had the HR34 then the new RC71 RF remotes would not work.

I am not aware of an app that allows you to control the Genie and Mini's. Not saying there is not one, but I dont know of one.

Max distance from the Genie to the satellite is 150'. I have had them work beyond that, and I have also had them give me fits. It just depends on the voltage loss in the cable between the two. This is the reason that Directv does not want more than 150'.

Now you are going to get all kinds of people tell you that it can go more than 150', from an installer who does probably 20 installs a week, and I also see the service calls for signal problems, that going more than 150' on a Genie system is asking for trouble. 200' is max I will go if it is all brand new solid copper cable from the dish to the receiver. Beyond that and I don't put it in, it will just cause problems.

On the directv app there is a remote control device that you can use but I don't know that it is any different than the other remotes and/or if will only change the channel on one box or all of them. Not sure if that is what the OP was referring to but thought I would make mention.

The installer ... isn't quite right.

As LiquidForce88 says, the RF technology used in the HR34 is different from that used in the HR44 and C41. But either way, RF remotes are paired with a specific receiver. If you are using RF, it will only change the channel on the receiver you want.

In your case I would hold out for an HR44, and I'll tell you why. The HR44 and C41 will receive signals from both IR and RF at the same time, meaning that you could put the RF remote in another room and leave an IR remote in the same room as the receiver and it would work.

The HR34, HR44, and C41 all come with RF-capable remotes. In fact all the RC71 remotes are RF-capable when used with the HR44 and C41.

As stated, you can use the DIRECTV app which is free and which will control all the DVRs and clients in the home.

As for cable runs, I agree that when running from the SWM to the Genie, 150' is really the maximum. I've done numerous tests and beyond that it becomes an increasinlgly unsatisfying experience for the user.

There are three possible problems that might muck with your proposed install:

1. LOS, as the person who visited your home and surveyed the situation suggests, may not be available given your imposed condition(s).
2. RF may or may not reach depending on which boxes you get (significantly different frequencies). DISH uses a lower frequency than the HR34. Extending the remote antenna is not possible.
3. You MUST already have your AV cabling system up and running at the location you've chosen.

I suggest an HDMI over CAT6 solution that relays IR if RF doesn't work out. Much cheaper than most other relay solutions.

?Thanks for the replies! They were very helpful.

I had another installer come out on Wednesday, and it turns out that everything CAN be installed in one location, and the RF remotes worked out just fine.

I believe two issues were at play:

1) the original installer didn't want to dig the trench to bury the cable (about 50 ft), so he came up with some reasons why it wouldn't work.

2) a general lack of technical knowledge by the installer (and supervisor). The supervisor told me later that the reason you couldn't control them via smartphone app is because the smartphone uses infrared to control the receiver!

I have had success controlling the receivers with the tablet app. Didn't see a way to control it from the phone app, but I haven't had time to explore it fully. Maybe I just missed it.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)