Genie and two C31 or keep 2 HR21-100?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

robertk328

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
May 13, 2008
I have two HR21-100 and got a genie upgrade as part of the movers program with two C31 (assuming its an HR34 as I don't think the dc area is getting the 44 yet). We tend to use one of the HR21 and the other not much. We never run into recording issues with using just the one as far as space. Would there be any reason to use the HR21 as receivers instead of the C31 in this case? They are 5 years old so that's a definite consideration with how long they may last anyway. And the size of the C31 is intriguing, especially if they respond faster than these HR21.

The C31 respond pretty slow, but may get better with software improvements. HR21 is a slow box too, likely about the same.

I think the big win is with the C31 you can control your recording schedule and playlist as if you were in front of the Genie box.

Win with the HR21 is you have recordings now you can keep, more space and less conflicts, though if you think 5 tuners is enough that negates this.

I love the H24 with my genie, and if the genie hard drive ever dies it does not effect you watching t.v. on the H24, but the c31's are down when the genie is down. I really like the H24.
Now if you want more dvr's which I did not, then you would get the HR24.

Thanks all - not too worried about existing programming. We've watched all of it, the only stuff that's really taking up space are the shows we record for our 3 year old and those populate really fast throughout the day. Would it be worth it to request new DVR (for at least one of the rooms, a client would be sufficient for the other)? If so which model is best? Our 11 year old, now getting a TV in her room (which is why we're adding the 3rd TV) may load it up ;-)

Am I right in thinking if we have an HR34, 1 client (should it be the C box or an H box)?, and 1 DVR they pretty much all act like they're one thing, though the post above has me wondering:

"I think the big win is with the C31 you can control your recording schedule and playlist as if you were in front of the Genie box."

I'm wondering if they would swap one of the clients with a DVR? As long as we can access that DVR (and/or set parental controls!) from the rest of the system I think it could work quite well.

Thanks again :)

You already have two DVRs so you can keep both or keep 1 DVR and replace the other with a client and add the Genie to the others.

You already have two DVRs so you can keep both or keep 1 DVR and replace the other with a client and add the Genie to the others.

My concern with this is they are already 5 years old so I would like to get new ones now rather than have to fight that fight when/if they fail. I am already locking in another 2 years, which is fine, so if I can replace them now I would prefer to do so.

My concern with this is they are already 5 years old so I would like to get new ones now rather than have to fight that fight when/if they fail. I am already locking in another 2 years, which is fine, so if I can replace them now I would prefer to do so.

If they die in the future due to age directv will replace them at that time without a new commitment.

Sent from my PG06100 using Tapatalk 2

If they die in the future due to age directv will replace them at that time without a new commitment.

Then what's the purpose of the protection plan? Dish realignment? I'm thinking they should if they are only leased. Though I still think it may be worth updating them if I can but your suggestion is worth considering :)

They'll replace leased receivers either way, protection plan or not. No protection plan is $19.95 for shipping, with is free shipping.

They'll replace leased receivers either way, protection plan or not. No protection plan is $19.95 for shipping, with is free shipping.

Hmm.... I have a few days, they come Saturday so better think quickly ;-)

I had a customer owned r22 replaced one time, had to fight with them about not returning it, but yea mainly pp pays shipping no pp does not, they also claim something about house wiring.

So if I keep the HR21 for at least one of the locations can they still all see each other and only the HR21 can't set the HR34 recordings while a client can?

I have two HDDVRs, when I called about my signal they offered a genie for $99 it also will cost $49 to install. I turned them down, not sure that another $150 is worth the upgrade since I have the ability to record 4 programs now.

If I added the genie, could I use the 3 dvrs to watch each others programs regardless of where they were stored?

You would need mrv added to your account, and decas installed on all your existing receivers along with a cck or network connection to the genie location via ethernet if you dont have this set up now. But yes what your asking is possible. However if this is all your looking to accomplish, purchasing a cck, and decas for your existing hr boxes off ebay or from a vender then paying the 3$ mrv fee to directv would be easier.

So if I keep the HR21 for at least one of the locations can they still all see each other and only the HR21 can't set the HR34 recordings while a client can?

Not to confuse you further,but with the Genie having 5 tuners & both of your HR21's together having 4 tuners,if you choose to keep them,that'll be 9 tuners. What that means is that if you have a 1 cable SWM LNB,they'll have to change it out for a 4 cable LNB instead & add a SWM 16 multi-switch along with it. If you go with the Genie with clients,that's all they have to install for you.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts