Genie DVR Question

Status
Please reply by conversation.

nmoline

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Oct 20, 2010
Indianapolis
When I tell my Genie to record a series, either by searching and telling it to record this season and future seasons, or by hitting the orange R button twice on the guide, it is recording all episodes.

I have it set for first runs only;however, it's recording older episodes too.

How do I force it to only record new episodes?

I've noticed the program guide is wrong quite often. It will not mark a 'first run' as such, or will indicate that some episodes are 'first run' when they are obviously repeats. I think the problem lies with DIRECTV and how they code the guide information.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

When you set up a series link, it will always record the first episode even if it is a repeat, it uses it as a "marker" to set up the others. You can delete it. After that it will record just first runs IF the program's metadata (guide data plus more) tells the DVR it's first run. But as glen4cindy says, the guide will often not say whether a program is first run, or will not have a "first shown" date, or will be incorrectly marked. DirecTV does not produce this data, it comes from the program provider. Another issue is that sometimes programs from another country will have the first run date set to when it was shown in that country, and sometimes the DVR won't record those programs.
Syndicated series such as those on "minor" channels are the worst offenders. This problem has been around for years and the providers won't do anything about it.

When you set up a series link, it will always record the first episode even if it is a repeat, it uses it as a "marker" to set up the others. You can delete it. After that it will record just first runs IF the program's metadata (guide data plus more) tells the DVR it's first run. But as glen4cindy says, the guide will often not say whether a program is first run, or will not have a "first shown" date, or will be incorrectly marked. DirecTV does not produce this data, it comes from the program provider. Another issue is that sometimes programs from another country will have the first run date set to when it was shown in that country, and sometimes the DVR won't record those programs.
Syndicated series such as those on "minor" channels are the worst offenders. This problem has been around for years and the providers won't do anything about it.

I'm mainly looking at Network Broadcasts. I just switched from Dish and never had this issue with Network recordings.

For example, I want to record Modern Family or Shark Tank. I go to search, search by show, find Modern Family, go to the most recent season and tell it to record this season with First Runs Only. It asks if I want future seasons, I say yes. The next episode doesn't air until later this week.

Today I go to my recordings and there is a folder with several episodes of Modern Family already recorded...

season pass is flaky
i always go to the channel its going to air on as a new show and select it from there

Reactions: Jimbo
You should never use the season pass unless you want to record all the episodes from on demand also (which will include lots of episodes which were first run when they were shown). You can either look for future episodes and ask to record those, or do what mdram does (and I always do) which is to use the guide to select the next episode and ask to record using a "double R". Then you will only get the episodes on that particular channel, no on demand.

You should never use the season pass unless you want to record all the episodes from on demand also (which will include lots of episodes which were first run when they were shown). You can either look for future episodes and ask to record those, or do what mdram does (and I always do) which is to use the guide to select the next episode and ask to record using a "double R". Then you will only get the episodes on that particular channel, no on demand.
Thank you, I'll try to fix this. I appreciate your assistance.

Thank you, I'll try to fix this. I appreciate your assistance.
Also, to expand just a little ... I too use the guide to set up my recordings .... once you have hit the record button twice, you'll see it multiple times on the screen, go back into the recorded spot on the guide and go to Season Options .... That is where you want to make sure it is set for First Run also you can tell it how many you want to keep in case you don't want the whole season.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)