Status
Please reply by conversation.

dishfan82

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Lifetime Supporter
Feb 18, 2012
clinton Township
I'm thinking of making the switch to direct from Dish and wanting to know what are some of the great features that the Genie has over the Hopper. Next question is I do have a directv dish already in place that was installed 2 years ago, would they install a new dish or are they using the same dish?

Posted Via The FREE SatelliteGuys Reader App!

The most I like about Genie is the speed with which it fast forwarding or rewinding. Hopper is quite slow as compare to Genie. Genie is paired with DirectTV that gives me more HD channels with better quality.

But in some aspect Hopper excel over Genie. The most I liked is easy skipping of ads.

So, it is bit tough choice to make.

I'm with mdram. Regardless of any other features the Hoppers lack of the 2 extra tuners to the Genie makes it an also ran.

John

As far as speed, I think the HR44 and HWS are both comparable, the HR34 and Hopper2000 are slower IMO. The 5 tuners is a great thing, and I like setting up season passes better with Directv software. Also like Native output.

It is quite common for me to use 4 tuners recording. I also like the control the Directv client added. I had two Hoppers and they did not share series links, where my one client mirrors the Genie.

The Genie will only work with a SWM (Single Wire Multiswitch) installation. If you have a Slimline Dish with a SWM LNBF it has a single wire from the Dish to the home. You can use SWM Splitters (these look and function just a like a standard Coax Splitter, but are specific and must be used to split a SWM Cable feed) to feed multiple rooms but you can only support a total of 8 Total TUNERS, so with a Genie you could only have 3 additional single Tuner Receivers, or a single Tuner receiver and another DVR. If you get a Genie and use Client Boxes they do NOT use any SWM Channels they each use one of the tuners in the Genie.

The only way to support more than 8 tuners would be to swap the SWM LNBF to a NON SWM LNBF then you have to run 4 cables from the LNBF to a SWM 16 or 32 Switch.

John

The Genie will only work with a SWM (Single Wire Multiswitch) installation. If you have a Slimline Dish with a SWM LNBF it has a single wire from the Dish to the home. You can use SWM Splitters (these look and function just a like a standard Coax Splitter, but are specific and must be used to split a SWM Cable feed) to feed multiple rooms but you can only support a total of 8 Total TUNERS, so with a Genie you could only have 3 additional single Tuner Receivers, or a single Tuner receiver and another DVR. If you get a Genie and use Client Boxes they do NOT use any SWM Channels they each use one of the tuners in the Genie.

The only way to support more than 8 tuners would be to swap the SWM LNBF to a NON SWM LNBF then you have to run 4 cables from the LNBF to a SWM 16 or 32 Switch.

John

At the end of your post you pointed out that it IS possible to have more than 8 tuners on a Swm set up, that is good because the first half sounded like it wasnt possible.

To Ply, you can have up to 32 tuners so far, thats a lot of tuners available and a large expense to hsve that many boxes, but it could be done.

As pointed out, with the SWM set up up to 8 tuners requires 1 line from the dish to the inside.
Over that, it gets more back to the way it use to be with 4 lines.
That said, 5 recvrs (dvrs) doesnt require 10 lines coming in.

The most I liked is easy skipping of ads.

So, it is bit tough choice to make.

With the :30 skip feature, skipping commercials is no biggie, just hit the button a few times & you are back to program content in just a few seconds. Prolly the most heavily used button on all the remotes in my house :)

Not sure if you understood my question. I have 4 HD-DVR's so I have 4 cables run from the Sat. to my Living room,,, so you are saying I need 6 lines from the switch. And two to each of my Master Bedrooms which I want to keep.

Last edited:
In a swm system you only need one cable to each dvr. There are two ways to have a swm system. If you have a swm lnb, then there is one cable from the dish. If you have a swm switch, because you have more than eight tuners, then you need four cables from the dish to the swm switch.

In a swm system you only need one cable to each dvr. There are two ways to have a swm system. If you have a swm lnb, then there is one cable from the dish. If you have a swm switch, because you have more than eight tuners, then you need four cables from the dish to the swm switch.
And only one cable from the switch to each DVR, regular or Genie

So I need a SWM Switch that will handle 9 feeds?

You need a swm16 switch. If you get the Genie, Directv will supply the switch at no charge.

almost forgot, another great feature of the genie, is the ability to work with other swm dvr's
your not limited to just genie and clients.

Having had both same time. HR44 and Hopper with sling.
I still say the better HD picture is direct. Slightly but better.

My experience is the hoppers fast forwarding
Is much faster.
Auto skip great feature.
Also love blu tooth.

That said HR44 is their best unit to date.
Scrolling very fast.
Love being able to check scores.
Direc was my go to unit

I've found the 44 faster even on fast forwarding. Of course I used skip, and not slip.

Sent from my HTC6525LVW using Tapatalk

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)