Genie installation?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

pinkcookies26

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Nov 11, 2006
What is all involved in a new Genie installation? Is it something I could do myself once the equipment arrives? I already have the whole home network set up in the house. I am trying to avoid having to have an installer come out if all possible, I have had bad luck with the ones who have come out. Any info is appreciated. Thanks

is it just a main genie?
whats it replacing?

any 4k? any wireless?

the more info you give about what you have the more accurate an answer you will get

I doubt that DirecTV would let you set the system up yourself.

Speaking of our conversion to the Genie system over two years ago:

- Your satellite dish's LNB has to be capable of receiving HD (if not already) and/or whatever other programming you may be subscribed to
- You must have a SWiM device installed for any Genie-involved system (the SWiM device is the main multiplexer for the system; no longer is there a separate coaxial line per receiver; it's all done logically over "channels," essentially)
- If you have any other receivers in your topology, they would have to be SWiM-compliant else they will not be able to communicate on the same SWiM network, nor be able to take advantage of Whole-Home DVR (which SWiM enables)
- If you're getting a wireless Genie mini (or more), there'll be a Wireless Video Bridge that directly connects to the SWiM topology via a coaxial cable at some point in the wire run. Wireless Genie minis do not use wifi; signaling is performed over its own network

We had to pay $99 (I think it was) because DirecTV wanted the video bridge to be professionally installed; that wasn't an option for us, in spite of the fact that the WVB is reasonably easy to install.

For me, the biggest concern was inserting power for the SWiM device correctly. If it's inserted incorrectly, it will fry the system.

As far as 4K is concerned, you would have to provide a 4K-capable TV, then you'd have to be provisioned for DirecTV's most expensive plan, and you'd have to get (I forget the exact model number) a mini receiver for the 4K TV. Essentially, you're going to be out of pocket bare minimum $35 *on top of* whatever non-4K setup you have (these and other reasons -- such as, no broadcasters are actually using 4K at this time anyway -- are why we won't do 4K now).

As another poster mentioned, unless we knew more about what you're going to get (and planning is always key nowadays with these systems), we cannot be more helpful.

Reactions: Tecnicoloco
Thanks for the info. The Genie would be replacing an HR-20 and HR-24 and no 4K. After reading the last post sounds like I need to have an installer come out and just hope nothing goofy happens to my walls and jacks.

why replace both units? if you have multiple tvs, heep the hr's on them, dont get the minis

monthly price is the same, just an fyi

I guess a Genie and a Genie and a Genie Mini are coming. What is the difference between a Genie Mini and the HR? What would be the advantage of not replacing one of the HR's with the Mini?

you will only get 1 genie, it will have 5 tuners
a mini is a slave unit that uses a tuner from the main genie

mini - no tuners
dvr - 2 tuners

if the main genie dies, the minis are basically paper weights or door stops until you get a new genie

Gotcha. So if the kids want to record something they would have to go to the Genie cause they couldn't record on the Mini, but could on the DVR still?

Ok, so after telling the Genie to record something could they watch something other than what they are recording through the MIni? Sorry for all the questions I used to be up on all this but now it's out of control. LOL.

yep, the recording would use 1 tuner, and the live watching another
leaving 3 tuners free

And practically speaking, there's no difference between the wired or wireless Genie minis; they both function the same.

I can say without reservation, however, that the wireless Genie mini is fantastic and has been working like a charm, through walls, etc. for over two years.

Other than that, other folks are similarly correct. It's good to have another receiver available on the same network because if the Genie goes down, so do any/all minis.

Regarding tuners (and how many shows can record at once), each Genie DVR is considered to have 5 tuners. If you have another HD DVR in your household, it is likely 2 tuners, so you could record or watch up to 7 programs at once in that type of setup.

I guess a Genie and a Genie and a Genie Mini are coming. What is the difference between a Genie Mini and the HR? What would be the advantage of not replacing one of the HR's with the Mini?
The mini is a tuner-less, HDD-less dumb terminal. Without a working Genie, it is useful as a brick.

KEEP the HR24!

The mini is a tuner-less, HDD-less dumb terminal. Without a working Genie, it is useful as a brick.

KEEP the HR24!
I'd say less useful than a brick. Can you make a sidewalk out of a mini Genie? How about building a wall out of them? ;)

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)