Genie question- lost features vs DISH DVR

Status
Please reply by conversation.

robertjp

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Oct 22, 2004
Upstate NY
I am seriously considering switching to direct tv from DISH. I was in Sams Club yesterday and they had some good promos (Free NFL package, $300 gift card, $65 locked in for 2 yrs if an ATT subscriber) but was wondering what I will lose with the DVR they will supply. I know I will lose the hopper feature like on DISH where it automatically buzzes the commercials. Will I also lose my Primetime anytime feature where it automatically records all primetime shows so they are there on demand???? My wife likes that feature where all the network primetime shows are recorded without having to do anything. Anybody here switch already from DISH to DTV that can answer that?
Also are there any features on the Genie that the DISH DVR doesnt have? Thank you.

I am seriously considering switching to direct tv from DISH. I was in Sams Club yesterday and they had some good promos (Free NFL package, $300 gift card, $65 locked in for 2 yrs if an ATT subscriber) but was wondering what I will lose with the DVR they will supply. I know I will lose the hopper feature like on DISH where it automatically buzzes the commercials. Will I also lose my Primetime anytime feature where it automatically records all primetime shows so they are there on demand???? My wife likes that feature where all the network primetime shows are recorded without having to do anything. Anybody here switch already from DISH to DTV that can answer that?
Also are there any features on the Genie that the DISH DVR doesnt have? Thank you.

Yes, there is no PrimeTime anytime.

The Sling functionality is not present. The Mobile DVR functionality is there, but not nearly as mature as Dish's.

I just got DirecTV, and I have not had Dish for a couple of years, so I cannot say much more than that.

FWIW: I chose DirecTV over Dish because of a bundle deal with AT&T. If that was not a factor, I would have gone with Dish.

I've had DTV in the past and recently switched from Dish again due to contract disputes. I much prefer the DTV service. The equipment is not as feature-rich but it's very functional and speedy IMO. The HD picture is also sharper as many here have noted.

I never found a reason to tie up that much hard drive space on stuff most don't watch ... talking about the Prime time thing.
When I watch my shows that are on Network, it's definitely Not All the shows .... There's a few on NBC, the majority of My Recording Network wise is on CBS, so why would I want to tie up recording ALL the networks for the duration of prime time every day ?

Very easy to set up the shows I Do watch with the Genie.

I never found a reason to tie up that much hard drive space on stuff most don't watch ... talking about the Prime time thing.
When I watch my shows that are on Network, it's definitely Not All the shows .... There's a few on NBC, the majority of My Recording Network wise is on CBS, so why would I want to tie up recording ALL the networks for the duration of prime time every day ?

Very easy to set up the shows I Do watch with the Genie.

To each his own, but, PTAT only ties up 1 tuner, so what is the difference? I occasionally decided to try watching something after it had aired, and it was very nice to be able to go back a week to watch something I would have otherwise missed. As for the space, with PTAT you get ~1TB of space for other recordings, just like my Genie, so I would actually come out ahead if I had a Hopper instead.

I've had DTV in the past and recently switched from Dish again due to contract disputes. I much prefer the DTV service. The equipment is not as feature-rich but it's very functional and speedy IMO. The HD picture is also sharper as many here have noted.

I agree with both of these statements. My new Genie is quite snappy, and the PQ is pretty good. Not as good at OTA, but better than TWC or Dish.

I always thought that the big advantage of PTAT is never having to actually figure out which of the new shows you might want to record. Just turn on PTAT and it gets them all. That gives me a chance to watch one or two episodes of a new show and if I really like it, then schedule it to 'save series' so the 8 day window isn't an issue.

Lloyd from the Pixel

, so why would I want to tie up recording ALL the networks for the duration of prime time every day ?
Primetime Anytime can be shut off.
You don't need to turn it on if you don't want to use it.

Also it's fully customizable, whether you want only 1 channel or 3, and all 7 days or just an individual day.

And if your using the Hopper 3, sure it ties up a Tuner for 3-4 hours when it's on, But who gives a crap you still have 15 tuners left.
And 2 TBs of hardrive space.

Samsung Galaxy S6 Active

Reactions: lparsons21
The "lost features" because a moot point when comparing picture quality. The PQ of Directv is far superior to that of dish. And their disputes. I also would be mad if my list was full of shows I don't want. Any other advantage on a Dish receiver (like auto tune on a DVR, Pac12 Network, etc) is washed away by the PQ, which isn't full 1080i.

Reactions: dalyew
if ptat is that big of a deal, just set the genie to record prime time
it has 5 tuners so you will still have 2 left, just like a hopper if its using 1 for ptat

i found the info provided for the show much better than what dish had
hit info, view upcoming, find shows that certain people are in, ect ect

if ptat is that big of a deal, just set the genie to record prime time
it has 5 tuners so you will still have 2 left, just like a hopper if its using 1 for ptat

i found the info provided for the show much better than what dish had
hit info, view upcoming, find shows that certain people are in, ect ect
Your math is off. :) ABC, NBC, CBS and Fox adds up to 4, leaving one tuner on a Genie.

And the info provided on shows now is much better than in the past though I would still give D* a very slight edge in that.

Dish now provides the cast and shows they are in that are showing on Dish. And some background info on the cast. Very much improved.

For my viewing choices, D* and E* channels are a wash with both having all the ones I will actually watch. The only plus with D* for me is the very slight HDPQ difference. For equipment, UI and subscription options, E* wins. Of course I'm not a big sports fan so I can see all the major sports I want with either service.

Lloyd from the Pixel

i always forget about fox, being a major network now, sorry about that :)

also, dont forget you can change a mini to an hr unit to add tuners if wanted

the hopper 3 though is still ahead with 16 tuners

i would honestly wait a few months. directv really needs a new stb that outputs 4k directly, and has more tuners

I agree! At the moment for me, D* is a non-starter because of their hardware/gui. Dish really set a new bar with the Hopper 3, and it is a very high one IMO.

Lloyd from the Pixel

I agree! At the moment for me, D* is a non-starter because of their hardware/gui. Dish really set a new bar with the Hopper 3, and it is a very high one IMO.

Lloyd from the Pixel

only problem is every time i think i am ready to switch, there is a dishpute that prevents me

Reactions: Troch77

Lloyd from the Pixel

So you prefer a slightly better guide over actual HD? That's kinda odd...

only problem is every time i think i am ready to switch, there is a dishpute that prevents me

This has never really been a problem for me, but then again my parents are currently experiencing the loss of most of their locals on D*, so it can happen on any service.

With the Hopper 3 and my 4K TV the video is superb. I've had D* and E* at the same time and did a side by side and the differences between the two were slight, with that slight edge going to D*. Slight enough that it isn't even part of the consideration when choosing a provider. Hell, if it was all about HDPQ I'd be on cable as it is better around here than either D* or E*.

And I gain much more than a 'slightly better guide'. I gain the ability to keep recordings as long as I want and know that if the unit craps out I can still see those videos that I moved to an external HD. I can backup and restore my timers and series links to the remote and then put them on a replacement unit. I get a VOD that actually works quite well. I get Dish/Netflix integrated search. I get 16 tuners. I get PTAT.

So for very slightly less HDPQ, I get a slew of things that add up to being more... :)

Lloyd from the Pixel

I think this is overstating things. Is D* HDPQ better? Yes. Whether this matters to individuals will vary. My wife certainly doesn't seem to care. I think she would be one of those people watching stretched SD if not for me.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)