GENIE RECORDING QUESTIONS

Status
Please reply by conversation.

inazsully

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Feb 15, 2010
Sun City West, AZ
A few questions regarding recording with the Genie. 1. Can you retrieve cancelled shows. 2. Can I place shows into a folder, like concerts etc. 3. Can I set the Genie to record only new showings. 4. Can I cancel a specific episode without the Genie cancelling thee entire series. These are all functions thst I could do with the Hopper but I can't see how to do them with the Genie

A few questions regarding recording with the Genie. 1. Can you retrieve cancelled shows. 2. Can I place shows into a folder, like concerts etc. 3. Can I set the Genie to record only new showings. 4. Can I cancel a specific episode without the Genie cancelling thee entire series. These are all functions thst I could do with the Hopper but I can't see how to do them with the Genie
You can cancel a show, meaning one thats already been recorded and still watch it (on your hopper ), is that what your saying ? I can't answer that, Ive never needed to bring back one I've cancelled.

Shows go in thier own folder, for example, you record NCIS, the next episodes will also be in the NCIS folder.
Yes you can set the Genie to record only new shows, set it for 1st run.
Can you cancel an episode, but not the series, yes. Record it, then delete that episode in the folder.

Sorry, just trying to figure the Genie out. I can only ask by referring to the Hopper since that's what I'm used to. With the Hopper, if you scroll down to the end of your recordings list there is a icon for retrieval of shows cancelled that day ( only that day) like if your wife wanted to watch it and you stupidly deleted it. Trust me that scenario happens. You click it and it brings up all of the shows that you deleted and allows you to put them back in your original list of recordings. By placing shows into a folder I am used to creating a folder for say Concerts, or sports or Christmas movies, so they don't clog up my recording list but can be accessed by going to that specific folder. By cancelling only one specific show in a series set to record the series I mean like cancelling next weeks episode of NCIS but only that episode allowing the record series command to continue. Thanks, I just found the First Run option.

Sorry, just trying to figure the Genie out. I can only ask by referring to the Hopper since that's what I'm used to. With the Hopper, if you scroll down to the end of your recordings list there is a icon for retrieval of shows cancelled that day ( only that day) like if your wife wanted to watch it and you stupidly deleted it. Trust me that scenario happens. You click it and it brings up all of the shows that you deleted and allows you to put them back in your original list of recordings. By placing shows into a folder I am used to creating a folder for say Concerts, or sports or Christmas movies, so they don't clog up my recording list but can be accessed by going to that specific folder. By cancelling only one specific show in a series set to record the series I mean like cancelling next weeks episode of NCIS but only that episode allowing the record series command to continue. Thanks, I just found the First Run option.
I've never needed to cancel a show before its happened, don't know.
I guess I would just let it record and delete it then.
Also, I generally don't delete my shows till much later, I'll usually record the whole season of a show and delete once I know I've seen them all.
I tend to keep the last few episodes before the season finale so I can go back and refresh myself about what happened before the new season or 2nd half of the season starts.

You can cancel single episodes or events before they record from the to-do list in the manage recordings screen.

I've never needed to cancel a show before its happened, don't know.
I guess I would just let it record and delete it then.
Also, I generally don't delete my shows till much later, I'll usually record the whole season of a show and delete once I know I've seen them all.
I tend to keep the last few episodes before the season finale so I can go back and refresh myself about what happened before the new season or 2nd half of the season starts.
I just tried deleting something and see if I could watch it again, I was unable to bring it back from the dead ...
As you would think it should be .... Delete, means DELETE.
Not, in case I forget I might want to watch it again ... :eeek

Reactions: ejb1980
You can cancel single episodes or events before they record from the to-do list in the manage recordings screen.
Can you remove an episode from a Season list in the To Do list ?
Before its been recorded ?

Ok, for example, I have Scorpion as a regular Season Record, I go into my To Do list and find next weeks, I can go into the Episode Options and do the Cancel Episode (I've never done this as I find it odd that you'd actually want to cancel a show before its scheduled to record) ... seeing it says Cancel Episode, I'm gonna guess that the Series Record feature keeps working. ?
Maybe if I do hit the Cancel Episode, it will have another option to continue the Season ?

I'm not gonna go any farther because I don't want to have to go back in and find it again to undo what I did.

1. No. Like Jimbo said, delete is delete. 2. No, why clutter up the screen with more folders? 3. Yes, if the show has S/E info. Not all shows do (many less than Dish and other providers, even those that also use Tribune) so a regular show, we'll keep Scorpion as an example, will allow the first-run episodes. But, many sports shows and other random shows will have this info missing so it will record all that air because it doesn't know what has already recorded. 4. Why would you want to do that?!?!?

Inazsully, a little more info that may help you in the future.

When you set up a Recording, it will show up in the To Do list, regardless .... now when the show is scheduled for say next week, next to that show will be a 1 (if its a weekly show), the guide goes out 12-14 days, really 14, but it takes some time. Anyways, say you like Scorpion, you set it to Record, now when the Season is Over, if you leave Scorpion IN YOUR TO DO list ... it will start recording the shows next year/ or the second half of the season which ever the situation is, on its own.
I set all my shows to Record 1st Run Only ...
The To Do list will show 0 episodes until its back in the guide, it should also pick it up if its changed days (and channel ?).

Inazsully, a little more info that may help you in the future.

When you set up a Recording, it will show up in the To Do list, regardless .... now when the show is scheduled for say next week, next to that show will be a 1 (if its a weekly show), the guide goes out 12-14 days, really 14, but it takes some time. Anyways, say you like Scorpion, you set it to Record, now when the Season is Over, if you leave Scorpion IN YOUR TO DO list ... it will start recording the shows next year/ or the second half of the season which ever the situation is, on its own.
I set all my shows to Record 1st Run Only ...
The To Do list will show 0 episodes until its back in the guide, it should also pick it up if its changed days (and channel ?).

It will only pick up a channel change if you do the season record. If you go in the guide and press record twice on Scorpion, it doesn't find it on other channels. If Scorpion was moved by your local NBC to a sister station, it will not find it. I have Around the Horn and Pardon the Interruption recorded with the season's pass because they sometimes move it to ESPN2 instead of ESPN. When I recorded it by selecting the show on ESPN, it doesn't find it when they move it to ESPN2. Searching for the program and recording it that way allows you to select all channels.

Another example, when Under the Dome was on, I had it set up by pressing "R" twice on CBS. But when they bumped it to their sister station, My38, it wasn't scheduled to record. I redid my timer for the show using the search, and within 10 minutes the episode that was on My38 was scheduled to record. I have 2 CBS affiliates and often both channels would schedule to record but only 1 of them actually would record.

I also have 1st run set for everything. But it doesn't always work, like with Around the Horn, because they don't label the 5:00pm airing as "new" like other providers so it records every re-air of the show. I just have it keep 1 episode because watching old shows of that show is pointless.

Last edited:
It will only pick up a channel change if you do the season record. If you go in the guide and press record twice on Scorpion, it doesn't find it on other channels. If Scorpion was moved by your local NBC to a sister station, it will not find it. I have Around the Horn and Pardon the Interruption recorded with the season's pass because they sometimes move it to ESPN2 instead of ESPN. When I recorded it by selecting the show on ESPN, it doesn't find it when they move it to ESPN2. Searching for the program and recording it that way allows you to select all channels.

Another example, when Under the Dome was on, I had it set up by pressing "R" twice on CBS. But when they bumped it to their sister station, My38, it wasn't scheduled to record. I redid my timer for the show using the search, and within 10 minutes the episode that was on My38 was scheduled to record. I have 2 CBS affiliates and often both channels would schedule to record but only 1 of them actually would record.

I also have 1st run set for everything. But it doesn't always work, like with Around the Horn, because they don't label the 5:00pm airing as "new" like other providers so it records every re-air of the show. I just have it keep 1 episode because watching old shows of that show is pointless.
Yes, in the instant e you pointed out, they Have to have accurate Air Dates in order for it to work.

I notice that there is a USB port in the back of the 61K. There is a Esata port in the back of the HR54. Can I hook up a EHD via the USB port on the 61K?

No, it has to be on the Hr54 because the 61K does not have a drive so no interface. And in any case it has to be esata...

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts