Genie Upgrade Question

Status
Please reply by conversation.

glen4cindy

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Sep 14, 2004
St. Louis MO, area
I just called DTV to inquire about upgrading to the Genie. I was offered a $49.95 upgrade that includes the Genie, 1 client, 1 Cinema Connection Kit, Conversion of my existing non-compliant receivers that are not DVR's and the install itself.

I specified that I want to KEEP my HR24-100, and replace my HR23-700 with the Genie, and place my free Client where my R15-300 is currently located, and compatible standard receivers where my SIR-S4080R Tivo-DVR and my SIR-S60W are located.

I specifically asked if I would have access to the Genie recordings to and from the HR24-100 and if I would be able to "see" the recordings on my HR24-100 from my Client and other receivers that are being installed.

I currently have Whole-Home-DVR service in place using my Home Network, and I assume from what I have read that I will have to be upgraded to the SWiM system.

My primary concern, is this. Is what I was told by the CSR correct? Will I be able to KEEP my HR24-100 and continue to record 2 shows on it, and 5 on the Genie? Or, is the tech going to tell me that I have to give up my HR24-100 and replace it with a client? I would imagine that I'm not the ONLY person who has wanted something like this, but, *wanting* and **getting** something. :)

Thanks in advance.

yes you can keep it.
When the installer comes out just tell him what you want. The only thing is you'll be up to 9 tuners (5 from Genie, 2 from HR24, 2 from SD receivers....clients dont use a tuner in the SWM setup) so the setup will be a smidge different but still easily doable.

When I went from 2 R22's (specialized HD DVR's) and a H23 to a HR34 (Genie) I was the one who called and removed the extra receivers on the account. The installer installed the HR34 (Genie) where one of my R22's were and that was it. I called after he left and cancelled the other receivers so they could send out a box.

I specifically asked if I would have access to the Genie recordings to and from the HR24-100 and if I would be able to "see" the recordings on my HR24-100 from my Client and other receivers that are being installed.
yup you will be able to. The SD recievers wont though ;)

I currently have Whole-Home-DVR service in place using my Home Network, and I assume from what I have read that I will have to be upgraded to the SWiM system.
yup

My primary concern, is this. Is what I was told by the CSR correct? Will I be able to KEEP my HR24-100 and continue to record 2 shows on it, and 5 on the Genie? Or, is the tech going to tell me that I have to give up my HR24-100 and replace it with a client?
yup you will. Lots of folks kept existing equipment and upgraded to Genie

ice covered it all
the advantage of the genie over the hopper is the ability to integrate into existing equipment

but why not keep the hr23 and lose one of the other units?
it should work with the system too and add tuners

as mentioned your already going to be getting a swm 16, so why not keep the hr23 instead of one of the standards.

as mentioned your already going to be getting a swm 16, so why not keep the hr23 instead of one of the standards.

Well, now, that's an idea.

I never thought of that. I have a flat screen that I was going to get a client on. I could have them put the Genie on that TV instead, I do suppose that would be the best option. If I did that, I could kill the Tivo, and replace it with a client, and that would leave me with only 1 SD, and for that one, I don't care if it can access the rest of the recordings.....

You guys have given me a perfect idea. Hopefully, the installer will have the proper equipment. Unless I need to call DTV and change my order.

That would give me 2 recordings on the HR24, 2 on the HR23 and 5 on the Genie, right?

You guys have given me a perfect idea. Hopefully, the installer will have the proper equipment. Unless I need to call DTV and change my order.
because you will be above 8 tuners regardless of configuration you'll get a SWM16. When the installer shows up tell him what you want to do and it shouldnt be that hard to move receivers around. SWM is one cable per receiver so if they put a D12 (SD) or a HR23 there it only needs one cable

That would give me 2 recordings on the HR24, 2 on the HR23 and 5 on the Genie, right?
yes

I read it as 5 spots for TV when done
HR34 on one TV
HR24 on another
HR23 on another
client on one TV
SD on the last

I read it as 5 spots for TV when done
HR34 on one TV
HR24 on another
HR23 on another
client on one TV
SD on the last

Pardon me if I am mis-reading this. Are you saying only 5 *total*, or do I keep my 2 recording slots on my HR24, AND my 2 recording slots on my HR23 and **GAIN** 5 on the Genie?

Gaining the 5 additional, or my original of KEEPING my 2 and GAINING 5 more was what I THOUGHT I was getting in the first place......

Thanks.....I guess I'm slow sometimes........

Pardon me if I am mis-reading this. Are you saying only 5 *total*, or do I keep my 2 recording slots on my HR24, AND my 2 recording slots on my HR23 and **GAIN** 5 on the Genie?

Gaining the 5 additional, or my original of KEEPING my 2 and GAINING 5 more was what I THOUGHT I was getting in the first place......

You would gain 5 additional, for a total of 9 recording slots. 5 tuners on the Genie and 2 on each of the HR24 and HR23.

my post was more of a confirmation that you are working with 5 locations that will have SOME type of receiver

so if you keep both DVR's and add Genie you'll have 9 tuners to record from + the 1 for the SD receiver

I have another question regarding the operation. This will dictate the placement. How is the recording selection going to work? Since I am going to have more tuners available, when I try to record something, say in the living room where the HR24 is right now, if I DON'T put the Genie there, if I am already recording two things in the living room, will the system know I have more tuners available, or would it be better to move the HR24 and put the Genie in the living room so 5 tuners are there, where we watch TV 90% of the time?

How is the recording selection going to work? Since I am going to have more tuners available, when I try to record something, say in the living room where the HR24 is right now, if I DON'T put the Genie there, if I am already recording two things in the living room, will the system know I have more tuners available,
nope. Its not that smart sadly

or would it be better to move the HR24 and put the Genie in the living room so 5 tuners are there, where we watch TV 90% of the time?
put the Genie in the room where you watch and record the most TV

How did you manage to get the upgrade for $49.99? I just called and they quoted me $299.99 for the upgrade. I currently have a HR24-200 and HR24-700. Of course I told them what to do with their $300 upgrade fee. What a crock of &(^%^&!

How did you manage to get the upgrade for $49.99? I just called and they quoted me $299.99 for the upgrade. I currently have a HR24-200 and HR24-700. Of course I told them what to do with their $300 upgrade fee. What a crock of &(^%^&!

What package do you have? When was your last upgrade? Have you recently had a movers connect? Many variables when dealing with directv. If you're not happy with your first CSR hang up and call back, they all do different things

I have the Choice Xtra and have never upgraded! Been with them since Dec 2011. Just purchased the MLB Extra Innings package 2013 early bird for $199.95.

I have the Choice Xtra and have never upgraded! Been with them since Dec 2011. Just purchased the MLB Extra Innings package 2013 early bird for $199.95.

Like Ice said, retention is gonna be your best bet. You're only about 14 months into a 24 month agreement. It's not as easy for you to walk away since you're still in contract, OP wasn't. That's why he was given a better deal but that's not to say you can't get one similar. Retention will be your beat bet, they have the power to make moves unlike normal CSR's

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)