Genie VS Tivo

Status
Please reply by conversation.

mijd

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Sep 17, 2012
Sarasota fl
I'm at the end of my 2 year contract and I'm down to the Genie (HR34) and no clients. I've been comparative shopping Fios vs Xfinity vs Directv the latter thinking of downgrading to a Tivo box from the Genie. Anyone know the costs involved? Is a Tivo subscription also required? I know that Directv charges $199 for the box and I'm sure you are leasing but I don't know the monthly fees. Tivo with Xfinity replaces the HD receiver and you are issued a Cablecard. Fios sends me monthly bundle deals as my house is wired for Fios. I've heard and read on the Verizon Forums that the Quantum TV boxes have bugs that are trying to be addressed. I do like the ability to record programs but don't need all the tuners that Genie comes with... without clients it seems a waste of $. At this time I'm paying Xfinity $75 per month for Blast internet (I stream movies) and DirectV $75. Fios double play bundles start at $75 however I've been told you add $10 per TV and $22 a month for the enhanced Quantum TV DVR. Any suggestions? I'm not very experienced as I've been a DirectV customer from '96 to 2010 and then again in 2012. Xfinity has only been used for internet and basic cable. Thanks in advance for all replies and suggestions.

The Directv Tivo is running older software and doesn't have some of the newer features like whole home DVR etc, but since you are only needing one DVR that may not be an issue. I have only actually seen one THR22 in action but it worked really well.

Can't really comment on the other services.

The Directv Tivo is running older software and doesn't have some of the newer features like whole home DVR etc, but since you are only needing one DVR that may not be an issue. I have only actually seen one in action but it worked really well.

Can't really comment on the other services.
Thanks Satgirl any info is appreciated.

Sadly, going back to a TIVO would be like going back to a standard def 27" tv.

Way outdated and old technology.

If your talking about Directv Tivo.

Sadly, going back to a TIVO would be like going back to a standard def 27" tv.

Way outdated and old technology.

If your talking about Directv Tivo.
That last sentence should have prefaced your post. TiVo Roamio has a lot of features and orders of magnitude more polish that the Genie lacks (other than the fact that it won't work with DIRECTV).

The roamio is what the premiere should of been but TiVo still has tons of issues and quirks.

Audio drops on guide and menu
Can't properly utilize one tuner for back to back shows
Issues with kuid if used a lot
Jarring SD menus
Many options buried under redundant clicks
Cable card issues depending on provider
Many more

Don't get me wrong, I enjoy my romio but I also see why the company has had major issues and will ultimately go the way of the dodo if they aren't careful.

TiVo has been hemorrhaging sub's for years now and for good reason.

The roamio is what the premiere should of been but TiVo still has tons of issues and quirks.

Audio drops on guide and menu
Can't properly utilize one tuner for back to back shows
Issues with kuid if used a lot
Jarring SD menus
Many options buried under redundant clicks
Cable card issues depending on provider

TiVo has been hemorrhaging sub's for years now and for good reason.
The back to back show issue always screwed up my football recordings, can't believe they still haven't fixed that

I'm at the end of my 2 year contract and I'm down to the Genie (HR34) and no clients. I've been comparative shopping Fios vs Xfinity vs Directv the latter thinking of downgrading to a Tivo box from the Genie. Anyone know the costs involved? Is a Tivo subscription also required?

An additional TiVo Monthly Service fee of $5 per month applies, and this is in addition to the DVR service ($10) and HD Access ($10) fees.

Since you have the Genie (and you stated you re-subscribed in 2012) you are probably paying the bundled charge of $25 for ARS which includes WH, DVR and HD fees combined together. You probably would end up paying more with the TiVo ($25 ARS+$5 TiVo vs $25 ARS) and I don't know for sure if the WH fee could even be removed (even though it would not be needed with only a THR22)...

An additional TiVo Monthly Service fee of $5 per month applies, and this is in addition to the DVR service ($10) and HD Access ($10) fees.

Since you have the Genie (and you stated you re-subscribed in 2012) you are probably paying the bundled charge of $25 for ARS which includes WH, DVR and HD fees combined together. You probably would end up paying more with the TiVo and I don't know for sure if the WH fee could even be removed (even though it would not be needed with only a THR22)...
Ya could remove WH DVR as Tivo won't even work with it, but add $5 Tivo charge so -$3 and +$5 would be a $2 increase for Tivo over genie. Also even though the THR22 uses old tivo software it works well, and op has already stated he doesn't need MRV or many of the new features the tivo may be missing as opposed to the genie or newer tivo model. If just wanting a single dvr to record your shows in one room reliably it works perfectly fine for that.

I don't think the OP is talking about the THR22 Directv Tivo's(I could be wrong), but Tivo's for cable systems
regular Tivo's like Roamio's run for $14.99 monthly fee with 1 year commitment or $499.99 for Lifetime service with no contract
I don't have a Tivo but it's definitely have more features than Genie, but if you meant Directv Tivo's than is a extra $5 a month on top of $10 DVR fee and $10 HD and which you already paying besides the extra $6 lease fee, but it won't do Whole Home with other DVR's/HD receivers if you need more than one. Not sure how it works on Fios unless it's the same with cable service, with Cable cards as well.

[OTE="harshness, post: 3541478, member: 73437"]That last sentence should have prefaced your post. TiVo Roamio has a lot of features and orders of magnitude more polish that the Genie lacks (other than the fact that it won't work with DIRECTV).[/QUOTE]
I agree.

Thanks everyone, all good replies. With all the options, bundles and promotions, I want to make sure I'm getting the best bang for my buck. Under my contract that's ending with DTV, I have autopay and have free HD. I read other posts in this forum that stated DTV will most likely continue with the free HD if you stay with autopay after your sub end. I was hoping the free HD would continued if I replaced my Genie with a THR22. Thanks again.

I would also consider staying with the Genie if I could sub with a HR44, however I've read in this forum that DTV doesn't guarantee this model as a sub. At the start of my last subscription contract I had a client installed in my family room that had a separate outlet for my Xfinity internet. As I no longer have that client, my Genie HR34 is no longer connected to my wireless router via Ethernet, I haven't been able to access On Demand for well over a year.

Thanks everyone, all good replies. With all the options, bundles and promotions, I want to make sure I'm getting the best bang for my buck. Under my contract that's ending with DTV, I have autopay and have free HD. I read other posts in this forum that stated DTV will most likely continue with the free HD if you stay with autopay after your sub end. I was hoping the free HD would continued if I replaced my Genie with a THR22. Thanks again.

Unless you have hd free for life, it will go away at the end of the two year deal.

Status
Please reply by conversation.