GEOSATpro GeoSatPro hdvr 1200 Signal Strength

Crumbs

Original poster
May 4, 2014
Montana
I am trying to setup a new FTA system using the GeoSatPro Hdvr 1200, using a 6' Prime Focus dish and the BSC-621 C/KU band LNBF. I can get signal strength but it keep fluctuating on and off, in other words, it shows a signal strength then 3 seconds later shows 00, then back to the signal strength. Is this normal or should the signal strength be steady. I also have not been able to get any signal quality readings, although when I attach a signal meter between the LNBF and receiver it appears that it is detecting a signal.

Any help would be greatly appreciated

Welcome to SatelliteGuys!

If it is bouncing around like that something is wrong somewhere. In my experience with the 1200 it will show around 07% signal with nothing even attached. Once it has a good connection with a working LNB(f) it goes to 50-80%. So really all that the strength is good for is to make sure you have a proper LNB(f) attached and good coaxial connection. It should be steady though. Once a proper transponder is detected then your quality will show a number.

What kind of signal meter are you using? If you are using one of those low priced around $20 small meter with a needle that relies on power from the receiver, those will show a signal as long as it is pointing at a satellite. They can also read false positives if the dish is pointed near a faulty power line transformer or a wifi signal or a WISP.

Make sure that you have the receiver programmed with a known good transponder for the satellite that you are trying to hit. Put it on that freq. in the setup menu and slowly move your dish till you hit it. Also make sure that you have the LNBF skewed properly. www.dishpointer.com can help you set the proper angles on your dish and skew for the lnbf. Then you can go to "The List" at the top of this page or www.sathint.com and look up the satellite you are going for and a transponder list.

We know you have a 1200 what kind of dish and lnbf do you have? What satellite and programming are you aiming for?
Check those coax connections! ;)

Thank you for your quick reply, we did find a bad coax connection at the LNBF, which seem to solve the on/off signal strength issue, but we still can't find the 97W - Galaxy 19 satellite signal. We are using a motorized 6' Prime Focus dish with a BSC-621 C/KU band LNBF.

motorized 6' Prime Focus dish with a BSC-621 C/KU band LNBF.
Is 97W your most southerly satellite? Can't be being your location is Montana. Suggest you do this on C band first. Ku adjustments are a lot smaller than on C band. Get it On the arc first.

Find your most southerly satellite first. And set the elevation (polar angle) then work your way to the end of the arc adjusting azimuth. In lieu of a lot of retyping: http://theho.web.fc2.com/BUD/9525/
Then or before completion of 'tracking the arc' you may need to fine tune the LNBF position.

Focal length may not be exactly it's 'supposed' to be. Also, the dual band LNBF's are a compromise in performance to accommodate both bands. You may find the focal length is different for Ku. You may loose some C band performance when tuned up for Ku.

:welcome to satelliteguys

Maybe move thread to the C Band area ??

My HDVR 1200 exhibits the same behavior. Choose the installation menu>satellite meter. Signal strength for G19 in Northern Arkansas is about 80%. Mine is on for about 8 seconds and then off for 2. Is this normal? I don't know but my picture is clear in both SD and HD. Signal quality is about 60%. The signal quality bar does not flash on and off. I install new systems using first a meter, then a small TV to confirm that the dish is correctly positioned (displays video) and then to fine tune the signal. Rain just left the area and the signal strength bar is solid now. Try dishpointer.com

Last edited:
Welcome to SatelliteGuys 10commandments!!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts