Get D* from local retailor or thru D* 800#

Status
Please reply by conversation.

fredtx

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Aug 17, 2005
I just moved to San Angelo, TX. House I bought had Cox cable. Want to get NFL Sunday for watching NFL games and Distant Network Service (DNS) so my wife can time shift plus watch her network programs in HD . That has led me to trying to figure out if I should get D* via their 800# or thru a local d* retail guy.

Normally, I would do business with the local guy without hesitation but wonder if I can still get the receivers deal that D* has offered along with free installation from the local guy. I see no reason to pay for something that I can get for free. However, when something sounds to good to be true, you guessed it! By the way the local guy was very honest about getting waivers, he said about 20% and knows that there is no deal without it.

My problem is complicated because I want HD DNS and I convinced a D* CSR that I would not subscribe until I knew whether I'd get DNS. My argument was I want the HDTV package and am buying a large screen HDTV set but until I know if I will get DNS I would not know what D* receiver to order. They then agreed to give me a temporary account and send requests to the local networks for a waiver for HD since none of them have digital transmissions much less HD. D* does not offer local networks in this area.

So I am worried that if I go with the local retailer, will that jeopardize my getting DNS? Also, can he provide the free equipment and install that D* is advertising?

By the way, in a test case, Cox is not able to provide CBS cause the owner of the station, Nexstar, wants to be paid by Cox for providing their programs to their subscibers. It is also rumored that Cox will lose the NBC signal this Dec. when their contract expires with Nexstar. So West Texas Network TV is not very customer friendly.

Would appreciate any and all your collective thoughts on the D* vs local retail outlet as well as suggestions on DNS for HD.

Signed Hot and very Frustrated Fredtx

Dear FredTX,

From what I've read, ValueElectronics is a pretty good dealer to handle Directv installation and/or equipment. I got my Directv system from an internet dealer; even though I did a self-install, I later learned that most any local dealer can match Directv and the internet people. I'd recommend calling a few local dealers and seeing what's the best deal.

You mentioned Nexstar...I recently moved from Joplin, Missouri, and Nexstar yanked the local NBC and ABC affiliates off the cable system. Both stations were pitching Dish Network, as Directv doesn't carry Joplin locals. I look for Nexstar to do this for all their other stations as carriage rights contracts expire.

Good luck getting your service set up. j c

Dealing with the local dealer, you uses get better service, calling a 800 number, sometime you have to wait week if not month to get your system set up. And this installer may from hundred of miles to do your installation, once your system has trouble, it may week before someone show up to check your system. LOcal guy uses does better job, because they hate come back for any installation problem unless that are the equipment problem and is out of their control. Local guy can be show up at the same day or next if you need service. THis is a BIG difference on service system.

Most the dealer really do match what others offer, beside, they are selling the samething as the internet or 800.

I say use a dealer. Directv has had a history of just sending what ever they want. Back when everyone was switching from 40 GB to 80 GB Tivo units, callers calling into Directv got what was in stock and didn't get to choose.

fyi mad professor D* now officially only sends out 80gb or above models. 40 are obsolete from stock

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts