get HD channels in better

Sounds like to me that his signal is going through cable instead of his HDMI. There might be a HDMI cable hooked up but when you say it looks the same most time its due to its going through the regular cable. Sounds like the installer just hooked it up and did not check everything out to make sure things were setup right or something.

Sounds like to me that his signal is going through cable instead of his HDMI. There might be a HDMI cable hooked up but when you say it looks the same most time its due to its going through the regular cable. Sounds like the installer just hooked it up and did not check everything out to make sure things were setup right or something.
Even if that were the case, the OP said he had his input on the TV set to HDMI. If that is so, it would work off of the HDMI cable instead of anything else.

Set your guide to all channels and go to channel 214 The Weather Channel HD (has the HD logo in the guide. Now at about 5 feet away on your 42 inch set, look at the faces on the weather people closely. Then channel down one channel to SD 214 Weather Channel and look at the faces of the people. There faces should be blurry. Then channel back up to the HD 214 and look at the faces. You should be able to see every detail. On a close up you can see the hair on their faces. If you can't, you may need a better tv or try component cables. You definitely have a problem. Make Dish come out and fix it.

You may want to do a HDMI check on your set top box and see if everything is all right, and the handshake between the stb and the tv may not be right via the HDMI cable, in which case you may want too power everthing off and then turn the E* box on and then the tv and see what happens

I am an eye doctor and you would not believe the number of people I have seen who have purchased HDTV's because "their old TV was going bad and getting blurry." Then the HDTV was blurry because it was hooked to an SD system, so they upgrade to HD. Then that is blurry too. Eventually, they come in, find out they need glasses, and everything amazingly looks great!!!! Even had one guy come back and tell me he hooked his old "blurry" TV back up and it looked very clear as well!

This is so true. Declining eyesight and even worsening cateracts have thier impact but people still think their eyesight is fine or they just use some glasses sold at the drug store. The same is true for gradual hearing loss. People think that their hearing is fine, for years (of course, they think they have to say "huh," and turn-up the TV because everyone else doesn't speak up or the TV has weak speakers) until they get a hearin exam, and WOW, are they shocked when they are told theri heraring is so bad that they need amplification, immediatlely.