Getting 2 wireless Genies

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

DjTilT

Original poster
Jul 19, 2014
I have the Genie DVR, i need to get two wireless Genie's(Kitchen & Bathroom). When I called they offered me buy one for $99, get one free. There is also a $19.99 set up fee. Then she added another $99 set up fee? So it was $220+ tax in all. She said there was no option to just ship them to me, an installer had to come out and bring them. Any advice on a better way for me to handle this? My contract is up in January, but i need these before football season.

As I understand it, the installer will have to set up a wireless bridge for your DTV system for your wireless minis to communicate with your Genie receiver. This wireless network bridge is only for your DTV system and doesn't use your WiFi or internet.
I have an upgrade install scheduled for Wednesday with a Genie and 2 wired minis. I asked about the wireless minis today when I called about an unrelated matter and the nice lady told me they cost $99 a piece to get a wireless mini. I decided that was pricey and am sticking with the wired minis.

Reactions: DjTilT
Standard pricing is:
Wireless bridge (one required per system) $99
Wireless clients $99 each
So DjTilt you were offered one bridge and two clients, with a $99 discount.
DirecTV install required, at least at the moment.

Reactions: DjTilT
Standard pricing is:
Wireless bridge (one required per system) $99
Wireless clients $99 each
So DjTilt you were offered one bridge and two clients, with a $99 discount.
DirecTV install required, at least at the moment.
So at this point in time even if you ordered a wireless client & bridge through a third party like Solid Signal,Directv will still have to send out a technician to set it up for you?

So at this point in time even if you ordered a wireless client & bridge through a third party like Solid Signal,Directv will still have to send out a technician to set it up for you?
No because you will have them in your possession already but when they don't work correctly you'll need to pay for the upgrade to install customer owned equipment. Might as well let us do it.

In any case, you should only be paying one $99 install fee for the wireless bridge.

Personally, I love the Genie and the wireless mini; no flaws after about 2 months of service.

My only complaint is that DirecTV requires an installer to come out to physically hook up the wireless bridge. It's otherwise a pretty painless install, but I guess they want total control over it for the time being.

In any case, you should only be paying one $99 install fee for the wireless bridge.

Personally, I love the Genie and the wireless mini; no flaws after about 2 months of service.

My only complaint is that DirecTV requires an installer to come out to physically hook up the wireless bridge. It's otherwise a pretty painless install, but I guess they want total control over it for the time being.
As an installer I can say this is anything but painless....

Not the one that installed it for me, coax was already in place for the wireless bridge device, All he did was added the client from the HR44 with PIN number,

then followed the steps on the wireless client, then setup the RC71 remote, In and out in 10 minutes

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk

Got one installed last week - it was the first time this installer has done one and frankly I had to show him how based upon info on the DirecTV site. The wireless part seems to work great although I think there are issues with the Mini connected (some of the menu items are in Spanish but most aren't). The most difficult part of the setup was the requirement that the bridge be 8" away from Genie DVR and 8 feet away from wireless router etc. Had to find a spot with the right cabling and power connection - now is behind a wired Mini in bedroom but the lights front and back give a nice glow at night.
Do you need an installer - ?? in my case I needed a "splitter" for the signal and some cables so I'm glad someone else did it but if your setup doesn't need anything extra you could do it yourself.

The most difficult part of the setup was the requirement that the bridge be 8" away from Genie DVR and 8 feet away from wireless router etc.

FYi, your installer was incorrect about 8", the minimum is 4 feet from other wireless devices. If your HR44 is using wireless to for the internet connection vs. the ethernet connection or an external DECA-BB then the WVB could be placed right next to the HR44.

Wonder what they were looking at then since before I responded I double checked the training material from DIRECTV and it said 4 feet from any other wireless device. I have two WVB's one that's 1 foot away from a HR44 that's working just fine.

Last edited:
I ordered both the Wireless Bridge and C41-W from Amazon (actually shipped by WeaKnees) and installed them myself.

I had to ask a few questions on DBStalk.com before I got everything working correctly, but it wasn't complicated.

The chief problem I had was that the instructions shipped with the Wireless Bridge were incorrect. They stated that you should connect the coax to the bridge and then plug in it's power before you tried to get the C41-W to pair with it.

I found that unless I didn't connect the coax first, the C41-W didn't recognize that any wireless signal was being sent by the bridge.

As an installer I can say this is anything but painless....
I apologize. I should have said that after all the coax is situated, then the wireless bridge can be relatively easily set up.

Then again, we were able to get wireless connections and subsequent software/firmware updates without issue. I didn't think about what would happen if these things were placed between floors.

Got one installed last week - it was the first time this installer has done one and frankly I had to show him how based upon info on the DirecTV site. The wireless part seems to work great although I think there are issues with the Mini connected (some of the menu items are in Spanish but most aren't). The most difficult part of the setup was the requirement that the bridge be 8" away from Genie DVR and 8 feet away from wireless router etc. Had to find a spot with the right cabling and power connection - now is behind a wired Mini in bedroom but the lights front and back give a nice glow at night.
Do you need an installer - ?? in my case I needed a "splitter" for the signal and some cables so I'm glad someone else did it but if your setup doesn't need anything extra you could do it yourself.
To fix the Spanish bug... press and hold the red reset button until the blue screen shows up. Keep the button pressed in until you see "Hello" the let go. When it starts up generate a new pin and repair it.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)