Getting 922 battery worries

Status
Please reply by conversation.

cbandjerk

SatelliteGuys Family
Jan 12, 2009
frozen north
I will be getting a dsr922 in a few days. Says Motorola on the front.

Should I be worried about it's dooms day battery?:(

When did the first 922 come out with motorola on the front:confused::confused:

I think I heard the last 920 came out '03

I see a lot of instructions to change the 920.

I don't see any for the 922, is it the same???

I've worked with electronics all my life. This procedure gives me the willies:eek:

thanks

Thanks Greg
I was just on that site. Guess I didn't see his link for the 922.
That one looks a little more difficult. Doesn't look like there are pads
for a direct parallel.
Like I said above I've worked with electronics most of my life. I'm mulling
over the Idea of letting ats do it :eek:

7th digit in the serial number will tell you the year it was made, 8 years or more from that year it would be good to have it changed.

I was a bit nervous about it too. Just don't drink a lot of coffee before you start to do it. A nice soldering pencil with a nice pointy point. Some tiny solder It's not as bad you are making yourself think. Those fingers on the edge of the board are tinned so tacking the negative lead on there is not hard. I just took the positive lead and held it on top of that spare hole and heated the lead. It shoved itself through. Then I flipped the board over and put a little solder on the protruding lead and let it suck through. Make sure to mark those connectors with a felt pen
Just take your time.

I guess I'm just not used to working on boards with explosives on them:eek:

So you did have to remove the main board?
Do you think you could have done it without removing it?
How long can you wait before cutting the old battery out? seconds? or minutes?

I knew the 920 quit production in '03 but not sure if the 922 started then or before.

I guess I'm just not used to working on boards with explosives on them:eek:

So you did have to remove the main board?
Do you think you could have done it without removing it?
How long can you wait before cutting the old battery out? seconds? or minutes?

I knew the 920 quit production in '03 but not sure if the 922 started then or before.

Yah the battery is in a very awkward place while it is in the chassis
I would not have tried to change it without taking the board out
I didn't wait more than a minute. It took that long to find the cutters (I didn't desolder it, just cut it off)

I borrowed a cupcake pan from the wife and put the screws in there. The chassis screws in one cupcake holder and the back plate screws in the next etc

7th digit in the serial number will tell you the year it was made, 8 years or more from that year it would be good to have it changed.

I know others have posted that the 920 stopped in 03, but does anybody know when the 922 stopped?
Serial number = receiver id in the system status? if so, then mine is 2007. I guess it's possible, but don't know when they stopped making them.. if that's the case, I guess I don't need to worry about my battery for a while
otherwise I had better order a battery because the s/n on the back is 0.. so 2000.. GULP.. what was that product ID at digi-key again

GULP! I guess I'd better get a battery ordered! mine's 9 years old then essentially. works fine, but I sure don't wanna take a chance. and the $100 for ATS (with shipping) seems a little steep for a $6 battery

If it is true that to replace the 922 battery the board needs to be removed, then there would be no way to do it with the power on method.

Is that true?

What if you have the receiver on a ups and your afraid if you pull the plug disaster will result?

The 7th digit on my 922 serial is "4" I guess that means mine is 5 years old. Do I need to worry yet?

Last edited:
Will a UPS actually help retain the unit ID??

Or will the unit ID still be lost when the battery fails even though powered up?

Is the battery voltage reading accurate when the unit is powered on?
Or should the measurement be made with power off?

NO ... a UPS will not retain the unit ID... only the battery, the receiver will keep it's ID as long as the battery is good or so long as the receiver is powered on, but if you unplug or lose power and battery is dead then the ID is gone.
Just replace the battery and then get yourself a UPS, that way your covered.
It's still just cheaper to replace the battery every 5-6 years. Even a good UPS will run down in a long power outage unless you have a backup generator.

Last edited:
Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)