Getting back into c-band?!

Status
Please reply by conversation.

sikma

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
May 7, 2005
Dish Farm Up North
I had my first c-band in 1985 and loved it. Over the years I got out of the hobby, but thanks to this site I jumped into the ku hobby a year ago. Now, I'm thinking of playing around again with c-band. I've got a bunch of P* dishes for now and am ordering a 13-degree lnbf. I've read PSB's posts and it helped alot. Just a couple of questions...would I be able to get the nets from G4, i.e. Casper and the V.I. Also any chance of pulling in the Anchorage nets on AMC 7???? P.S. I have a feeling once I get my new lnbf I'll want a larger dish for it:D

The Alaska mux is far fetched, but you should manage the G4R nets. Iceboy and myself get them no trouble here in MN (With a 6' mesh dish). After the "Experts" telling us it would not work!

I would say go for it! There is a lot more up there than published on Lyngsat and C-Band certainly adds to the enjoyment of the hobby. I am SO sorry I waited so long before getting C-Band (In this country, had a 1.7m dish in the UK for C-Band)

Besides what PSB has said, the Alaska mux is scrambled. There is one channel left from that mux. It was showing occassional sports, but now is showing EWTN programming. I guess the Eskimos need some religion, I reckon we all do.

Al

The reason I'm asking about the Alaska nets. Lynsat still shows the 'big 6' networks tp. 3880... and it appears it was updated two weeks ago.

They're scrambled

If they were ITC, I would have put my C-BAnd in the front of the house to get them :)

(the owner of Lyngsat is in Europe so he can't see our sats)

Last edited:
I just went over to AMC7 to take a look to see if they're still scrambled and I can't get anything. They seem to have vanished, nothing on NASA either. Something must be blocking me, I won't believe they both just vanished. I hope the sat hasn't failed.

Al

sikma said:
I had my first c-band in 1985 and loved it. Over the years I got out of the hobby, but thanks to this site I jumped into the ku hobby a year ago. Now, I'm thinking of playing around again with c-band. I've got a bunch of P* dishes for now and am ordering a 13-degree lnbf. I've read PSB's posts and it helped alot. Just a couple of questions...would I be able to get the nets from G4, i.e. Casper and the V.I. Also any chance of pulling in the Anchorage nets on AMC 7???? P.S. I have a feeling once I get my new lnbf I'll want a larger dish for it:D

I wouldn't expect too much out of a Primestar dish, especially from the domestic satellites (72 W to 139 W). They are simply too close together for reliable reception (your dish will "see" more than one satellite, causing interference), although you might be able to get a few services.

I don't know if you are using the elliptical PS dishes or the oval (circle, big) ones. With the latter you MIGHT be able to pull in something from one of the Atlantic satellites (37.5 W, 55.5 W, 58 W), which aren't spaced so closely together. There was an article in Tele-Satellite International about a guy in Toronto doing that.

sikma said:
When you 'played' with you 40" setup, were you able to pull in the nets. on G4?

I also played with a 40" P* dish and couldn't get much of anything from G4. Just the preacher channel if I remember correctly. What I did get was digital stuff on Anik F1 and a few snowy analogs from various sats.

On a meter dish, IA 6 analog was the best for me especially the vertical channels. G417 was watchable as well. That was about it. I couldn't get any digital feeds with a meter dish

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)