GETTING BACK INTO FTA after almost 10 years

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

Meter Repair

Original poster
Jan 18, 2017
Florida
Hi everyone,

great to see this forum exists. ill give you some background on me...
in summer of 2007 i picked up a Viewsat VS2000 Ultra box, and a 36" dish with Sadoun motor.

i had some success with manually pointing the dish at various satellites but i couldnt get the rotor to work well, probably a setup issue on my end, i plan on revisiting this soon.

some of the most interesting things i found were
several video only feeds of cameras at traffic intersections, where the intersections were? i dunno.
found several backhaul feeds, guy picks nose off camera kind of stuff.
found numerous audio feeds, one seemed to be music for mall stores, found some other elevator/doctors office music type stations

im most interested in the unusual stuff, im into ham radio and finding unknown signals is my main interest in FTA

so, i read some posts, they indicate my Viewsat is very old technology and theres more modern signals now requiring newer boxes.

im also interested in recording the unusual signals i find, and would like to ask the community, what is a good recording device? also, i would like to save the videos as a common Mpg4 or similar standard video format for storage on my PC for later review.

thanks for your time

John

You should be looking for something along the line of a linkbox or a used microHD. If you want to go on the cheap side a X2 will work pretty well also.

Reactions: hank123
You should be looking for something along the line of a linkbox or a used microHD. If you want to go on the cheap side a X2 will work pretty well also.

thank you for your reply,
i just looked up the linkbox 9000i local and it states in the specs...USB PVR "ready" (FAT16/FAT32/NTFS,Format function ,Recording,Playback,EPG Time record)

sometimes "Ready" means its not a current available feature but with the addition of something else, board/software upgrade it will work.
can you confirm that ready means it will work out of the box, with a USB external drive? and it doesnt specify the type of video file, does it use a MPG4 or other standard video file?

thanks,
john

Nope, not in this case. Almost any box insert a usb flash drive and hit record and it works. Some boxes have trouble with timer recordings but to record on the fly they all work.

They usually record in a TS format. You would need to covert to a mpeg4 file if you want, but a TS file can be played back on a computer or the receiver.

Sent from my SM-N900W8 using the SatelliteGuys app!
Exactly how my 9000i Local works. It seems like the most recent update fixed the clock issue on mine too.

I haven't tried a flash drive, but the external hard drive worked easily. Just plug it in and the screen reads "USB a connected".

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)