getting hi-def ?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

johnml

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jun 3, 2006
fort lauderdale
i have directv right now and want to get a hi def tivo to replace a regular tivo. i also see some guy " selling " info on how to get one for under $199.00 or less. any ideas ? my commitment to directv is through so i can switch to dish, but dont really want to go that route. do they still sell mpeg 2's ? and install outdoor antennas ? when i called they told me about them comming out with mpeg 4's for getting locals without a antenna but i dont care about that if directv installs antennas like they used to ? any thoughts would be appreciated - thanx -[
:confused:

Call Directv for your answer. Why would you want a MPEG 2 except for the fact they work seeing both DISH & Directv are using MPEG4 for their new channels?

i keep hearing conflicting reports about the mpeg4 even being available. last time i called ( about 2 weeks ago ) the csr told me sometime this summer ? nothing concrete.

johnml said:
i keep hearing conflicting reports about the mpeg4 even being available. last time i called ( about 2 weeks ago ) the csr told me sometime this summer ? nothing concrete.
The H20 is the only Directv HDTV receiver that D* has out for MPEG4. Late in October or early in November 2005 D* started broadcasting locals in MPEG4 month by month they have increased the number of cities that have HDTV locals in MPEG4. MPEG4 is the future of HDTV on satellite. If you get the HR10-250 you will have to upgrade it to continue to use it for satellite delivered HDTV but if you are just interested in OTA HDTV it will continue to work.

great info. thanks - what im looking for is the mpeg4 reciever with dvr/tivo. is that out yet ? i m replacing a regular tivo/reciever and want to upgrade to a hi-def tivo. - john -

No johnml it is not out. There probably will not be an MPEG-4 capable DVR out until this Fall. If you can get locals via an OTA antenna, I would recommend getting the HD Tivo and using the antenna. The OTA HD is usually better than the MPEG-4 satellite delivered HD, plus you usually will find additional digital and multicast channels in your area that D* does not carry.

It is believed that if you lease a HR10-250 you will be able to upgrade to the HR-20 (the MPEG-4 capable DVR) when it comes out fairly cheaply. However, no one knows for sure at this moment as D* has not announced anything officially.

thanx - stupid question - if i order hi-def from directv, will they install a antenna ? im about 18 - 20 miles form miami television stations / antenna farms. i borrowed a hdtv reciever from a freind and used a indoor amplified antenna. i picked up about 10 channels but not all the networks, so i think i need a outdoor antena. this sucks because i lost my OD antenna from hurricane wilma last year !!!! thanks -

You will have to call D* to find out. I know they used to do it, but they may be hesitant in doing it since they have rolled-out MPEG-4 local in HD in Miami. I imagine they will if you are fairly persistent. If they do not agree to it though, you can do it yourself fairly easily. You will need a uhf/vhf combo antenna though as some of the Miami HD channels are on vhf frequencies.

Your not going to want to antenna they have; get your own quality antenna. You will save money and headaches.

johnml,

The DVR you are looking for will NOT be made.
D* has no plans to make a MPEG4 HD DVR with TIVO, they are going to thier own type of TIVO set up, not what TIVO users are use to.

The object is for them to be able to have it be a D* product exclusively, I cannot say I blame them, they had to pay TIVO a pre determined amount of money for the TIVO software, for each unit in service.

Originally it was a good idea, enabled them to get a DVR into the market, now that everyone has them, they design them thierselves and save a lot of money.

Don't expect thier savings to ba passed along.

Jimbo

since no one said it yet...dont buy info on ebay etc...it just tells you to call retention and deal with them. Last fall it would have worked, but the days of cheapo hdtivos are gone, sorry. Newegg.com used to have HDtivo for 398 so try there first.

Regarding OTA, i'm sure dtv will sell you a 50 dollar OTA on top of their dish. Why wouldn't they? There's no guarantee of reception and you'll have to complain to get a refund. So it's win/win for them.

As mentioned above, getting your own antenna is definitely the best solution. Your money, your problem, your setup. And i mean that in a good way. While you are potentially close enough (and i dont think FL has hills or mountains right?) unless you get a refund guarantee from DTV, i think you would be better off doing OTA yourself.

regarding HDtivo: unless you can get in OTA well (but apparently you can), i dont usually recommend hdtivo. Waivers are pretty hard to come by if you live in a 'major' metro area so the NY feeds probably wouldn't be turned on for you.

and if you do have some vhf stations, hopefully they are all the same direction and maybe you can use jointennas and such things to enable good reception. As you know, you can't 'really' use a rotor with hdtivo.

johnml said:
i have directv right now and want to get a hi def tivo to replace a regular tivo. i also see some guy " selling " info on how to get one for under $199.00 or less. any ideas ? my commitment to directv is through so i can switch to dish, but dont really want to go that route. do they still sell mpeg 2's ? and install outdoor antennas ? when i called they told me about them comming out with mpeg 4's for getting locals without a antenna but i dont care about that if directv installs antennas like they used to ? any thoughts would be appreciated - thanx -[
:confused:

You do not want Directv "HD". only ESPNHD1 and 2 are true HD. the rest is downrezzed bitstarved crap. Run fast and hard away from Directv. If you can get out and go to Dish DO IT. Infact, I have a very special 500 GB, networked D* HDtivo I would let go for $900.00

Last edited:
vurbano said:
You do not want Directv "HD". only ESPNHD1 and 2 are true HD. the rest is downrezzed bitstarved crap. Run fast and hard away from Directv. If you can get out and go to Dish DO IT. Infact, I have a very special 500 GB, networked D* HDtivo I would let go for $900.00

Geez Vurbano, you were sort of quiet for awhile there.....

vurbano said:

Why ???
So he can go to DISH and find EQUALLY but starved crap, just nore of it ???
If ya read the DISH forums, they arn't so happy with thier version either

None of what you said has anything to do with his situation deciding the best way to get OTA channels ...............................

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts