getting locals from different areas?

asmcbride

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jan 20, 2005
WV/VA
Is there anyway possible to get locals from different areas? I currenty get the DC locals, but would really like to have the option to view locals from other areas as well if its possible. thanks in advance.

The address of your STB can always be in a nearby city who's spotbeam covers your area.

You just have to be in the same area covered by the foreign spotbeam.

I've always thought it foolish that most would subscribe for local service when they could pick it up OTA and then have a foreign market for backup of the network feeds.

You never know when the local channel will sell a block of time to Billy Graham instead of running something you wanted to see.

asmcbride said:
Is there anyway possible to get locals from different areas? I currenty get the DC locals, but would really like to have the option to view locals from other areas as well if its possible. thanks in advance.
The problem is that local broadcasters have exclusive rights to provide their stations in your home market. If you were able to select an adjacent TV station, then that would be in violation of their exclusive rights. Congress has authorized a few exceptions, one of which may be available to you since you are in the DC area. But it will be based on exactly where you live.
If you live between DC and Baltimore, you may be able to add some "Significantly Viewed" Baltimore stations to your local-in-local stations. Go to this FCC link to see if you qualify: http://hraunfoss.fcc.gov/edocs_public/attachmatch/FCC-05-187A2.pdf
Dish refers to these additional sets of locals as "Enhanced Locals."

Yea what the hell do think you live in a free country, you do what they want you to do. This is America.

RFtech said:
Yea what the hell do think you live in a free country, you do what they want you to do. This is America.
Ya - the NAB sucks!

It's only a matter of time before the local affiliate monopoly will crash, but it might be decades.

Meanwhile, local-only service on a separate account with a separate receiver will cost about $12/month. You'll need to buy the receiver, and have a good address in the city whose locals you want. Is that enough of a clue for ya?

EDIT: Oh - only cities carried nationally, or in a spotbeam you can receive will work.

Yea, like you can't put a Volvo dealer across the street from another because the first one has the exclusive franchise. It's business that makes this country go around, and it's been that way since I started in broadcasting 47 years ago. That is NOT a monopoly.

OIC. So I guess I have no right to buy and read AP stories from anywhere except my local newspaper.

OTA broadcaster markets are monopolies.

asmcbride said:

There's always Ku FTA.

arxaw said:
OIC. So I guess I have no right to buy and read AP stories from anywhere except my local newspaper.

Isn't it something that I can go on any news website and watch there broadcast but I can't get there programming on the dish.....Who head is up who's ass in this country. I guess it comes down to the control thing and I think we all were against this at one time in this country.......Wasn't this called communism......controlling people on what they see and here......Hummmmmm....Maybe I am wrong......NOT

Its not hard to understand why business owners in say Detroit dont want residents to see commercials from business owners in Toledoe that have the same products at %20 less. Its common sense really specialy if your one of those people that owns a business ya know. If there was a way that the commercials could be blacked out if the programming from Detroit is viewed in Toledoe and vice versa then that could solve the problem but Im sure that somewhere someone is going to say that it costs to much money to do that wich really is nothing more then horse hockey.

arxaw said:

Unless you live in a city with only 1 TV station there is no monopoly.

So unless you live in some small town in Alaska near the Artic Circle, there is no monopoly as there are more than one.

RFtech said:
Isn't it something that I can go on any news website and watch there broadcast but I can't get there programming on the dish.....Who head is up who's ass in this country. I guess it comes down to the control thing and I think we all were against this at one time in this country.......Wasn't this called communism......controlling people on what they see and here......Hummmmmm....Maybe I am wrong......NOT

You are wrong.

You can get the programming you want - you just have to get it from the source in your market who have PAID MONEY to be the exclusive distributor of it.

You can't see every movie at the movie theater of your choice.

You cannot buy Exxon gas at a Texaco either.

You cannot buy a Ford at a Cheverlot Dealer.

You cannot get pizza at a McDonalds.

Get real.

Van said:
If there was a way that the commercials could be blacked out if the programming from Detroit is viewed in Toledoe and vice versa then that could solve the problem but Im sure that somewhere someone is going to say that it costs to much money to do that wich really is nothing more then horse hockey.

Black out the Commercials?!?!?!

What do you think pays for this programming, lol.

HDTVFanAtic said:
You are wrong.

You can get the programming you want - you just have to get it from the source in your market who have PAID MONEY to be the exclusive distributor of it.

You can't see every movie at the movie theater of your choice.

You cannot buy Exxon gas at a Texaco either.

You cannot buy a Ford at a Cheverlot Dealer.

You cannot get pizza at a McDonalds.

Get real.
I am not talking about buying gas, hamburgers, pizza or cars, I just want to watch my home sports teams, and I can't do that in Philadelphia with small dish. I live in a sh!tty city which is home base for crimecast. Because they just about own this city you can't watch home sport teams without buying cable.......now how can you say this is not controlling people. They will not even let me have any out of market sports at all.......Maybe they should be called commiecast........because when communism left the USSR it settled right here in Philadelphia.

Different Locals

Call Dish
Tell them you moved and then get the other cities locals and go Paperless billing and pay your bill online. Thats what my neighbor does to get the Packers games on Sundays.

Rarely do I add my two cents worth because all it normally accomplishes is to generate a flame from someone waiting to find a reason to let off steam.

But I must contradict some statements made in this thread.

-We do not live in a free country in the US. We live in a democracy. In a democracy the majority rules and asserts its power, opinions, etc on the minority.

-When insufficient numbers of the populace fail to step forward to create a majority opinion, their opinions remain in the minority.

-When people do not vote or votes for a politician based on something other than the credibility of the politician and his/her past record, they are allowing the government to be full of the politicians who are accepting the exorbinant financial backing from corporations, etc who know they will receive "payment" for their political contributions, in the form of favors and laws that do not reflect the good of the majority.

-This is not a communistic society, it is just a democracy, with some freedom of speech . Lawfully, you accept the opinion of the majority, and live by their rules. When you don't like their rules, you use the system to change the rules, not by name calling and whining.

Flame away! You are free to do that in democracy

Last edited:
actually if you live in detroit and you have a high powered antenna you could probably get locals from toledo or if you have cable in monroe,michigan you probably get detroit and toledo locals. The thing is there is a way to get it and it used to be before the nab stepped in you could get any locals you wanted to on dbs when it was first launched. Oh well, with on-demand and internet it won't be too long before we lose local affiliates anyways then we won't have to worry about locals as we will just type in our zip code and pull up our local news 24 hours a day.

RFtech said:

AP is not an exclusive program provider, they are a cooperative that supplies news to anyone who is willing to pay. There are no exclusive rights associated with AP.

Using your logic someone could try to sell Big Mac's in the Burger King parking lot and yell foul when the cops kicked him out.

Elchucko said:
Flame away! You are free to do that in democracy
You're also free to do that in the United States of America which is a Constitutional Republic with some democratic institutions.
Elchunko said:
Lawfully, you accept the opinion of the majority, and live by their rules.
Our laws have very lttle to do with the "opinion of the majority" - and that is done quite deliberately. Our founding fathers laid out the law of the land in the Constitution. Fortunately, it is NOT subject to the "opinion of the majority".

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)