Getting Los Angeles Channels w/ Antenna

talian

Original poster
Jul 5, 2006
I just switched to DirectTV and did not purchase their HD package. I instead bought a TV44 antenna hoping that I would just get the LOCAL Los Angeles HD channels through the antenna. I have been unsuccessful or just missing steps.

here's my situation

1.) I have 3 DirectTV STANDARD-DEF receivers (don't know the exact model...it's a SILVER small box w/ no slots for acesss cards, etc.). Got my service in May 2006.

2.) I installed the TV44 antenna on my dish outside.

3.) And I did the "Auto-channel" search on my TV and it seemed to not be getting the HD Local Channels. What am I doing wrong? For instance, the KABC-7 website told me to switch my TV to channel 789 to get their Channel in HD...but my TV doesn't even let me switch to that Channel. I'm testing this on a Sony Plasma. Just like the directions on the TV44 my DirectTV receiver is off for me to get my local HD Channels on my TV.

so my question is: What steps am I missing? How do I get my Los Angeles local channels...what channel numbers do I have to punch in on my remote? And what are the HD channels and DT channels. I've searched the atennaguy list and quite don't understand the lingo such as Channel 7.1, frequency, etc. Do I need a separate HD receiver to get the HD Local channels from the antenna? DirecTV made me buy a separate HDreceiver from Best Buy but I'm thinking that it's not needed. ...that my standard def DirecTV receiver would enable me to get the DirectTV Channels and if I switch it off and just use my TV that I would get my LOCAL HD channels from the Antenna.

The reason why I'm assuming that my Local HD channels aren't coming through is because the picture looks squeezed on the 16:9 monitor and the picture is not that clear. Aren't I suppose to get the crystal crips clear picture I see at the Electronics Store?? Granted that my antenna is positioned the right way?

I live on the 9075, California area.

PLEASE HELP! Thanks.

It does get confusing with the duplicate cross posts of the same exact request, but I did go ahead and copy my same reply from the other thread.

Do you have a ATSC HD tuner at all? In the TV or set-top box?

If you do, I am willing to bet good money that 1) the antenna you have is not worth its weight and 2) that you may not be aiming at the correct heading 3) both.

Attached is you area's DT info (I had to make up an actual zip as yours was missing a digit) I would look into one of these antennas as a replacement and make sure to aim toward the correct heading.

Channel Master CM 4228
Antennas Direct DB8
Winegard PR 8800

Attachments

• antenna.jpg
    antenna.jpg
    101.8 KB · Views: 299
In LA that is really not an unreasonable expectation. In Moreno Valley, about 50 miles or so out from Mt. Wilson, a small antenna is usually all that is needed. Many people use a single element corner reflector for UHF and do just fine with all of the digital channels, except maybe KCOP-DT which is not at full power yet. I can pick up most of them myself with a small indoor antenna placed on a high shelf (tried it just to see if it was possible). Most of the valleys and just about all of the LA basin have an excellent line of sight to Mt. Wilson. Many people in Santa Barbara and San Diego can also pick up LA stations OTA, and they are over 100 miles away.

talian said:
I just switched to DirectTV and did not purchase their HD package. I instead bought a TV44 antenna hoping that I would just get the LOCAL Los Angeles HD channels through the antenna. I have been unsuccessful or just missing steps.

here's my situation

1.) I have 3 DirectTV STANDARD-DEF receivers (don't know the exact model...it's a SILVER small box w/ no slots for acesss cards, etc.). Got my service in May 2006.

2.) I installed the TV44 antenna on my dish outside.

3.) And I did the "Auto-channel" search on my TV and it seemed to not be getting the HD Local Channels. What am I doing wrong? For instance, the KABC-7 website told me to switch my TV to channel 789 to get their Channel in HD...but my TV doesn't even let me switch to that Channel. I'm testing this on a Sony Plasma. Just like the directions on the TV44 my DirectTV receiver is off for me to get my local HD Channels on my TV.

so my question is: What steps am I missing? How do I get my Los Angeles local channels...what channel numbers do I have to punch in on my remote? And what are the HD channels and DT channels. I've searched the atennaguy list and quite don't understand the lingo such as Channel 7.1, frequency, etc. Do I need a separate HD receiver to get the HD Local channels from the antenna? DirecTV made me buy a separate HDreceiver from Best Buy but I'm thinking that it's not needed. ...that my standard def DirecTV receiver would enable me to get the DirectTV Channels and if I switch it off and just use my TV that I would get my LOCAL HD channels from the Antenna.

The reason why I'm assuming that my Local HD channels aren't coming through is because the picture looks squeezed on the 16:9 monitor and the picture is not that clear. Aren't I suppose to get the crystal crips clear picture I see at the Electronics Store?? Granted that my antenna is positioned the right way?

I live on the 9075, California area.

PLEASE HELP! Thanks.

Talian - hopefully you are still checking this thread...

I am not familiar with DirecTV's channel numbers, but that may be what KABC was referring to. They broadcast their digital channel on UHF channel 53 but when an ATSC tuner finds it it should display as 7.1. From the information you provide it sounds like your DirecTV tuners will not tune in the satellite HD channels as they are SD only. They do not have built-in over the air ATSC tuners so you would need to rely on a tuner built in to your TV or a separate external one. If you can tune in anything with a half-way decent picture on channels 22, 28, 34, 44, 52, 54, or 56 you should be able to get the HD channels as well, as long as your tuner can receive them. Yes, the Terk clip on antenna is usually not a good choice. In close-in areas such as yours with high signal strength you could easily use something like the Channel Master CM3677 or Radio Shack VU-75XR. The CM should be available at Fry's or some Home Depot stores. You may also find it at ITC Electronics if you have one near you.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)