Getting OTA if/when Voom goes dark.

SKrueger

Supporting Founder
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Nov 18, 2004
Los Angeles, CA
Okay assuming Voom goes dark and other arrangements are not made, the stb box becomes a doorstop within a couple weeks.

Now I've still got a perfectly good OTA antenna attached to the dish but the feed was combined with the satellite feed with the diplexers. A signal which, if I understand correctly, also contains power and cannot just be hooked up to the OTA tuner on my set.

What would I need to do to split out the OTA feed and send that to the OTA tuner in my set?

Hi , What I have done in the past when I would lose the Fox network , is unplug the stb and run the signal directly into my tv and it came in nice , but not in HD .

OTA with VOOM BOX

As I understand it, if you unplug the satellite feed before you get a "Kill" signal from VOOM, the OTA will still come through the box. You may have problems with the program guide but that's nothing that a local paper won't fix.

gross67 said:
As I understand it, if you unplug the satellite feed before you get a "Kill" signal from VOOM, the OTA will still come through the box...

Well from what I understand, if the box doesn't receive an authorization signal from Voom every 2 weeks or so, it goes dead anyway. OTA included.

ivanzapped said:
....unplug the stb and run the signal directly into my tv and it came in nice , but not in HD .

Well assuming you set has an HD OTA tuner you should get HD. But I understand that on a diplexed feed, the feed is also carrying power which a normal OTA feed wouldn't and that a diplexed feed cannot be hooked directly to a HD OTA tuner.

Can anyone clear this matter up?

is it possible for voom to send a simple update to allow it to be a OTA tuner after it is shut off? I no they dont have any obligations to do anything for their customers but if it is cheap and easy they could do it to make people a little happier

Voom Enables OTA in the box?

So we (this forum) knows for a fact that a Voom box without an active Voom link is just a doorstop?

The hardware for decoding OTA won't work without a Voom link?

As has been mentioned several times in various threads, the OTA tuneer will continue to function after you unplug the sat line as long as the card does not receive the kill signal from the satellite. How long it will function is undetermined, save that I had mine uplugged for 42 days and it was still functioning just fine as OTA.

Voom as OTA

42 days and counting? :)

So if you get a Voom box that was physically removed from the phone jack and the satelite input while the account was active, then you have an OTA HDTV receiver. ..because the box depends on the CARD and the card is only written to when the Voom office commands it. What we don't know is whether or not there is a timeout that tells the card to die if it hasn't heard from the mothership in a while.

Hmmm. Does this make all those Voom boxes a good & cheap STB choice?

Voom Darkness

If Voom goes dark on us, let's hope they do the right thing AND do not issue a blanket receiver de-authorization to kill the OTA reception capabilities.

I just may starting leaving my two receivers off except when I am watching them. I was not too pleased about my receivers getting the most recent software "enhancement" without my prior OK anyway.

Perhaps some kind Voom employee/insider will keep us posted on any pending future OTA receiver de-authorizations...

I hope they take their time on the shutdown, I sure don't relish re-activating my Big Dish setup in order to get reasonable large screen picture quality on all of the NTSC signals (like History Channel, HGTV and CNN). If DishNetwork does not make some rapid progress in standard picture quality and add some more HD channels, too, I will have to put my BUD tools and skills back together.

FlyingSaucer said:
So if you get a Voom box that was physically removed from the phone jack and the satelite input while the account was active, then you have an OTA HDTV receiver. ..because the box depends on the CARD and the card is only written to when the Voom office commands it.
I'm watching this thread very closely...

If you just took the card out when not watching, would that give the same result as removing the phone cord and (or) coax?

shappyss said:
is it possible for voom to send a simple update to allow it to be a OTA tuner after it is shut off? I no they dont have any obligations to do anything for their customers but if it is cheap and easy they could do it to make people a little happier

Considering the potential liability from people like me who bought their receiver, I'd think they would at least leave these boxes in a condition whereby they would be capable of receiving OTA.

That being said, I think the fat lady hasn't sung yet as to what will be offered to us. I wouldn't be surprised if Dolan senior works out a deal whereby Echostar carries Voom service on their newly acquired satellite in exchange for Voom's HD programming.

I have a question that’s sorta related to this thread. For convergent reasons I am dropping Voom for cable. I had the cable folks coming before the news of Voom’s potential demise surfaced.

At any rate, I’m currently watching the Pats/Steelers game via the Voom STB OTA. I lease my box. Will I have to give it back? Or break down and by a digital tuner? Is there an option that’s more ethical than the other and does it really matter in the scheme of things?

I have not cancelled the service yet, but the dish has been disconnected (it was using the original cable line into the house).

Any thoughts/opinions/admonitions regarding just keeping the box and “losing” the credit card right after I give Voom a “Dear John” call are welcome.

Thanks

No longer enjoying the geo-synchronous Voomage in chilly Minnesota

tvrobert said:
I lease my box. Will I have to give it back? Or break down and by a digital tuner? Is there an option that’s more ethical than the other and does it really matter in the scheme of things?

Any thoughts/opinions/admonitions regarding just keeping the box and “losing” the credit card right after I give Voom a “Dear John” call are welcome.
Sounds to me like you already know what the ethical thing to do is. That being said, do whatever you're comfortable with. Probably not much Voom could do -- what, report ya to credit agencies? Will they even be in business long enough to do that? Will they even bother?

As far as if it really matters in the scheme of things . . . not to me. :p

tvrobert said:
I have a question that’s sorta related to this thread. For convergent reasons I am dropping Voom for cable. I had the cable folks coming before the news of Voom’s potential demise surfaced.

At any rate, I’m currently watching the Pats/Steelers game via the Voom STB OTA. I lease my box. Will I have to give it back? Or break down and by a digital tuner? Is there an option that’s more ethical than the other and does it really matter in the scheme of things?

I have not cancelled the service yet, but the dish has been disconnected (it was using the original cable line into the house).

Thanks

No longer enjoying the geo-synchronous Voomage in chilly Minnesota

Technically from the fine print of the lease agreement Voom or their assignee can come into your home to recover their property. With that said I understand the STB will not tune in OTA channels after a period of time when disconnected form the satellite feed because the STB needs to receive a periodic authorization signal or it will lock up and become a doorstop. Time will tell.

Indy said:
Technically from the fine print of the lease agreement Voom or their assignee can come into your home to recover their property. With that said I understand the STB will not tune in OTA channels after a period of time when disconnected form the satellite feed because the STB needs to receive a periodic authorization signal or it will lock up and become a doorstop. Time will tell.

Fair enough. Thanks for the reply.

TheTimm said:
Sounds to me like you already know what the ethical thing to do is. That being said, do whatever you're comfortable with. Probably not much Voom could do -- what, report ya to credit agencies? Will they even be in business long enough to do that? Will they even bother?

As far as if it really matters in the scheme of things . . . not to me. :p

Thanks for your reply as well. I intend to do the ethical thing... Beat the STB beyond recognition with a baseball bat and send it to Voom postage due.

Just kidding, I have nothing against them. I'll cancel and they can have the STB back if they prefer. I did enjoy the service, but more HD isn't always better. I'll miss Rave and Equator. That's about it.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)