Getting Panasonic BD-35 to work?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

JoeSp

Supporting Founder
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Oct 11, 2003
I had a little problem getting the Panasonic Bd-35 to work with my Onkyo 805. Seems the Panasonic reverts to automatic over the HDMI and the Onkyo checks over HDMI for 1080p first. Since my Pioneer 630HD DVI is 1080i I would get great sound but no video. To solve that I had to hook up the componet and leave the HDMI hooked up also. I had to move the Onkyo back and forth between the Panny and the TV in order to get the setup menu for the Panney to show up on the tv. If I left it on the componet it would default to the HDMI and 1080p. If I just unhooked the HDMI I could not adjust the HDMI in the setup.

This sure was a pain to figure out and took me a little bet of time to figure out how to adjust the setup.. After getting the HDMI set to 1080i my problem was over. But this sure was a rediculous way to the Panasonic and Onkyo to play nice together. I guess if I had a 1080p set this would not of been a problem but you think that Panasonic would have a 720p initial setup so that this type of problem would not occur.

My initial oppinion of the BD-35 compared to my PS3 is first -- it is much quietier. Second, the audio has more base response - I am bitstreaming to my Onkyo. Third, it is sharper and brighter then the PS3 output. I have read where some say that there is not that much differance between the PS3 and the Panny BD-35 but if that differance is noticable and improves the playback, especially on 1080i --- then it is definately in the right direction. Maybe if my Pioneer was 1080p there would not be that much differance but the Panny definately puts out a better picture for 1080i and having the bass and LFE be more responsive to me is a big plus. I would definately recomend the Pannasonic DMP-BD 35 as a replacement to the PS3 especially if you are viewing your HD in 1080i.:)

I'd say it's more of an issue with DVI itself and the Onkyo. Many people have reported issues connecting to the TV using DVI (not just with the panny). The default of "auto" will detect whatever resolution the tv supports, so it is getting some sort of info back from the ONKYO. It could be the connector or cable itself. What do you have the video output set to in the ONKYO? I would recommend "through".

Enjoy your 35. The 35 and 55 are nice little machines.

S~

The Onkyo does do pass thru, but on the 805 I do not believe that there is any setting. What I think happens is the Onkyo is looking at the input for output, The Panney BD-35 was looking for feedback and defaults to 1080p output when it does not receive that feedback, then the Onkyo passes the 1080p thru to the monitor which in my case is 1080i --- and hocus pocus -- no picture! I only have the Onkyo hooked up to my Pioneer thru a HDMI to DVI cable. For the picture there is no differance except the Onkyo is feeding a 1080i picture out based on what is comming in from the source. Therefore the problem as described.

Another solution was if I could of found my old analog cables I could of hook the Panney straight to the Pioneer 633hd componet inputs and then maybe done the same setup adjustments without having to switch back and forth.

Probably the problem delves from the Onkyo outputing lower res input thru HDMI at 1080p, that and the fact that the 805 does not seem to have any settings for upconversion -- it all seems to be done automatically.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)