Getting ready to get rid of Dish

skottey

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Feb 10, 2007
Denver Metro, CO
I've really had it with Dish. No new HD. No real plans announced. My cable company has pretty much caught up with the HD offerings of Dish except for Voom, which has been going downhill fast as well. Monsters HD is now playing three movies in a row over and over again, barely changing up anything. I used to watch dozens a movies on MonstersHD. Since about Halloween they have really become garbage.

I want to make this as easy as possible.

First I need to archive all the movies I haven't watched yet from my external drive to DVDs. This will take a long time to do since it has to be done realtime. Damn Dish for not allowing me to hook the drive up to a PC and nobody yet has broken the encryption that I know of. So now I get to systematically record these movies to DVD-R one by one so I can partially get my money's worth watching them over the next few months when I have time.

I will miss the 622 DVR and my 750GB external USB drive won't work with my SA8300HD boxes with BHN. I am just really tired of what is going on with Dish. I wouldn't even care about them raising their prices if it wasn't for the fact that they aren't adding anything new or really saying much. I'll be able to up my Brighthouse package to all premiums, HD, sports, and movie tiers, and save a lot compared to what I am paying now with both. Sure, I'll miss Starz HD, but BHN is supposedly adding Starz HD and Starz On Demand within the next 18 months.

18 months seems like a long time but that is more of a plan than I have heard coming out of Dish.

My only real concern here is the horror stories I have heard here of Dish not sending the boxes in time and then charging the customer $500+ for not returning the equipment. What do I do, change the credit card on file to a wrong card number or expiration date to prevent this or call the credit card company and tell them to block future charges from Dish?? I am certainly not out to screw Dish over, but I'll be damned if they delay in sending me boxes for my three boxes and then try to make me pay for them. I'll send the boxes back the day the UPS truck drops off their shipping boxes. I am not up for a fight with this right now and won't tolerate them trying to screw me over. They can be mad at me all they want for canceling. They should have thought about that before they let their once good service go to Hell.

I just want to get it canceled and send the crap back. Thankfully, I didn't sign a commitment. They sure have gone downhill lately. From the Dish magazine for $4.25 a month having a completely useless and WRONG guide in November and December to the lack of new channels. It is getting really bad.

I wouldn't recommend anybody sign up for Dish for any reason right now. And definately don't sign a contract! You'll regret it. Go to DirecTV or go with cable.

Any ideas on getting rid of this "dead service" smoothly would be appreciated. Thanks in advance people.

Well 1st I think we will see more HD 2nd cable is not any better and in most cases behind and their rates go up more often as well. So dont jump ship to soon..

If cable's bandwidth is being allocated for phone, video, and now hd, how will they be able to keep up in the future; won't their bandwidth not be able to handle new HD channels in the upcoming year? might be something to look into before jumping

I don't love DISH either I'm in the last month of my commitment. But I say don't let the door hit you in the a** on the way out.

If you are willing to wait 18 months for your cable company to add things, then why not for dish? They are launching a new sat in march, another is supposed to launch late next year. At least 2 HD channels appear to be ready to transmit, maybe early next year. I don't think Dish will get as good as Direct next year, but it will be better than cable.

It was only a matter of time until some of the cable companies caught up with at least one of the satellite television providers on HD offerings.

People like you will never be satisfied no matter who their provider is.

As I told you before, there's no one standing between you and the door.

Please don't come back in here when your new provider doesn't plan every decision based soley on what YOU want.

Get over yourself. You aren't more important than everybody else.

They will be launching 3 satellites next year. THe first in March, the other I am not sure when, but some time after the first and the third one is late in December to replace the horrible Echostar 5 at the 129 slot. The first two sats launched will allow DISH to move spare sats Echostar 6 or 8 or even 3 to different slots allowing more use for more bandwith for hd-possibly for the all mpeg 4 service .

Not the answer I was looking for. Maybe I didn't make myself clear. I currently subscribe to Dish and BHN cable. I subscribed to Dish as a secondary service because at the time cable did not have the amount of HD that Dish had. Now cable has caught up and has laid out their future plans. One of the reasons I got Dish in the first place was because BHN would not talk about future plans and was not adding anything new. Now things have changed.

I am not jumping ship and switching providers. I am dropping one of my providers!

One of you asked, if I am willing to wait 18 months... the difference is, I am happy with the cables current lineup and they have at least laid out a plan (finally). Dish has not laid out a public plan other than new sats going up and that they will largely be filling out HD locals. I don't care about that. I want HD nationals.

One of you said I am the type that is never happy. Not true at all. I am just one that wants a heads up of what is going on. You can't go months with nothing new with no real explanation. Dish is simply not keeping up with DirecTV or many cable providers.

One of you asked about bandwidth. Well, BHN has done a lot to upgrade their equipment and recently added a bunch of HD channels. They are slowly but surely reclaiming some of the bandwidth hog known as analog.

Please don't get me wrong in any of these areas. My question is about making it as trouble-free as possible to leave Dish, given the horror stories out there about people not getting their shipping boxes and being charged for not getting the equipment back in time. That is a bunch of bull. I don't want any problems trying to cancel them. An honest business doesn't do that to their customers who are trying to leave them.

Last edited:
If cable's bandwidth is being allocated for phone, video, and now hd, how will they be able to keep up in the future; won't their bandwidth not be able to handle new HD channels in the upcoming year? might be something to look into before jumping

Analog reclamation, and bandwidth expansion to 1 GHZ. Also possible switched delivery systems are in the works in some places.

Analog reclamation, and bandwidth expansion to 1 GHZ. Also possible switched delivery systems are in the works in some places.

Yea.... I like what I hear about the switched delivery system. Part of this means they will be feeding the channels in the neighborhoods where they are actually being watched. For example, if nobody is watching ShopNBC, they won't bother wasting bandwidth on it until somebody turns it on. Right? And it will be broken down more locally into neighborhood feeds. So if in your neighborhood they are watching ShopNBC they'll be using bandwodth, but not my neighborhood if nobody is. Obviously it runs way deeper than this, but this is some of the benefits. What else can you tell us?

First I need to archive all the movies I haven't watched yet from my external drive to DVDs. This will take a long time to do since it has to be done realtime. Damn Dish for not allowing me to hook the drive up to a PC and nobody yet has broken the encryption that I know of. So now I get to systematically record these movies to DVD-R one by one so I can partially get my money's worth watching them over the next few months when I have time.

I will miss the 622 DVR and my 750GB external USB drive won't work with my SA8300HD boxes with BHN.

It's not Dish's fault the programs are encrypted. It's the broadcasters forcing them to do this. You will burn everything to DVD, but remember that you'll be watching in SD not HD, as you likely do not have a HD-DVD recorder. Go to a friend's house and use their SA box for a while. You'll see there is no comparison. Also keep in mind if it wasn't for the launch failures, Dish would have new HD up already. If you are willing to give your cable company 18 months to deliver more HD, why wouldn't you give Dish another 12 months? They will likely add more after their 1st new satellite is launched in March and even more later next year. Bye!

If Dish does not get their act together soon there will be a mass exodus........

WMI your post is totally out of line.

This wasn't just about this thread, it was also about comments he has made in other threads.

In some other thread, he basically threatened to cancel then because he found out that Dish is going to a use lot of space of their new sats to add more HD Locals. He didn't care if other people got their locals in HD and basically demanded that Dish do what he wants and use all that space for more HD national or else he was out the door. Basically he said screw everyone else and that really pissed-me off. I speak this not as a technician, but as a fellow HD customer.

If you'll look again, I wasn't the only one saying good riddance to him.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts