Getting ready to get rid of Dish

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
It's not Dish's fault the programs are encrypted. It's the broadcasters forcing them to do this. You will burn everything to DVD, but remember that you'll be watching in SD not HD, as you likely do not have a HD-DVD recorder. Go to a friend's house and use their SA box for a while. You'll see there is no comparison. Also keep in mind if it wasn't for the launch failures, Dish would have new HD up already. If you are willing to give your cable company 18 months to deliver more HD, why wouldn't you give Dish another 12 months? They will likely add more after their 1st new satellite is launched in March and even more later next year. Bye!

I don't need to go to a friend's house to see the SA box. I have two. As I said, I subscribe to Dish and BHN. I have had BHN for over a decade when it was Peragon and then Time Warner. I was unhappy with their HD offerings and lack of channel adds so I subscribed to Dish as a second service to get my fill. Now BHN has pretty much caught up. I agree with you that the Dish DVR is way better than the SA box. I've been dealing with both for a long time. I am a computer guy and could monkey around with building my own DVR with far better capacity, but I just don't want to screw around with it. I want a dedicated DVR. I will miss the 622, but nothing else.

This wasn't just about this thread, it was also about comments he has made in other threads.

In some other thread, he basically threatened to cancel then because he found out that Dish is going to a use lot of space of their new sats to add more HD Locals. He didn't care if other people got their locals in HD and basically demanded that Dish do what he wants and use all that space for more HD national or else he was out the door. Basically he said screw everyone else and that really pissed-me off. I speak this not as a technician, but as a fellow HD customer.

If you'll look again, I wasn't the only one saying good riddance to him.

Please cite the thread and don't mix my words up like this. You have serious issues. Go talk to somebody about your anger.

skottey - Goodbye, good luck, enjoy the cable forums. Every one needs make the best choice for themselves and then move on.

NightRyder

skottey - Goodbye, good luck, enjoy the cable forums. Every one needs make the best choice for themselves and then move on.

NightRyder

I'm not going away from the site any time soon... unfortunately, for some that are angry at my posts and those that miss-quote me. haha.

I am down to 30 movies on my external drive to copy off to DVD-R. Yes, I realize they are not HD as somebody made sure to point out. But that doesn't matter to me. At least they maintain their 16x9 ratio and are good enough to watch. I don't record things to keep. If I want it bad enough I will buy it on SD DVD, blu-ray or HD-DVD format to add to my collection. But since I have paid for these things for months I should get my monies worth and watch them. Somebody accused me of stealing a while back before external drives when I tried to free up DVR space by burning my stuff to a DVD-R. I posted about not being happy how Dish has Macrovision copy protection on some content. I wasn't exactly burning copies on DVD-Rs and selling them or even sharing them. Like now, I was burning it off to a DVD-R for my own use. This person didn't believe my intentions. I wasn't happy about the inability to burn to DVD-R since I was and am after all paying for the content. My cable service has no such Macrovision. I had to go out of my way to buy a filter just to be able to record my own purchased content without it fading in and out. It all around cleans up the picture, even on non-Macrovision stuff. Ridiculous.

Anyway, somebody pointed out in this thread that Film Fest was down to two movies in rotation. Today I compared the Dish guide, which is accurate for January (finally after two months) to the guide on my 622. It looks like almost all of Voom is now in a 4-6 hour block repeated over and over each day. I used to love Monsters HD and now it is crap. They must have seriously cut the budget over at Voom. What a let down.

Seriously, Dish is a joke compared to many cable companies and DirecTV at this point.

I admit that I'm a pessimist when it come to Dish. My feeling is that you subscribers can expect every little additions or improvements to the service over the next year. Charlie is in sell mode and he ain't about to put any money into a company he wants out of. This year is going to be all about maximizing profits and minimizing costs. More content = more costs. Offering less for more money is the mantra for 2008.

I admit that I'm a pessimist when it come to Dish. My feeling is that you subscribers can expect every little additions or improvements to the service over the next year. Charlie is in sell mode and he ain't about to put any money into a company he wants out of. This year is going to be all about maximizing profits and minimizing costs. More content = more costs. Offering less for more money is the mantra for 2008.

Putting up two new satellites in 2008 doesn't sound like not putting $'s into the company

Who do you think he is selling to???

Each area served by Cable is a little different of course, but if I was ever to think of leaving Dish, a few days with Charter would send me flying back.
I just love these guys who make a big deal of threatening to leave whatever service they have. I just read the many many complaints about Direct TV and their apparently new way of charging for HD on one of the other sites.

The grass is always greener I guess.

Each area served by Cable is a little different of course, but if I was ever to think of leaving Dish, a few days with Charter would send me flying back.
I just love these guys who make a big deal of threatening to leave whatever service they have. I just read the many many complaints about Direct TV and their apparently new way of charging for HD on one of the other sites.

The grass is always greener I guess.

I guess I currently own both sides of the fence (both plots of grass), as I subscribe to both Dish and cable. I am not looking over the fence thinking the grass is greener. I have been holding onto both properties for a while and I am going to dump the crummier plot, Dish Networks. I can afford to keep both, but why? BHN has caught up to Dish on HD minus the Voom, which has turned to sh*t. So what is left of Dish that I should stay for? The DVR is nice but that is about it. I am certainly not dumping cable.

I guess I currently own both sides of the fence (both plots of grass), as I subscribe to both Dish and cable. I am not looking over the fence thinking the grass is greener. I have been holding onto both properties for a while and I am going to dump the crummier plot, Dish Networks. I can afford to keep both, but why? BHN has caught up to Dish on HD minus the Voom, which has turned to sh*t. So what is left of Dish that I should stay for? The DVR is nice but that is about it. I am certainly not dumping cable.

Why do you have such a problem with Dish using space on the new sats to provide more people their HD Locals??

And I saw your post where you mentioned that Dish should just offer a national HD feed of the networks (ABC, CBS, NBC, and Fox) instead of using space for various HD Locals.

That is not an option for Dish. The FCC and the courts "sunk that ship" a long time ago and Dish can't even "legally" consider it.

Why do you have such a problem with Dish using space on the new sats to provide more people their HD Locals??

And I saw your post where you mentioned that Dish should just offer a national HD feed of the networks (ABC, CBS, NBC, and Fox) instead of using space for various HD Locals.

That is not an option for Dish. The FCC and the courts "sunk that ship" a long time ago and Dish can't even "legally" consider it.

I don't have a problem with Dish using space on the new sats to provide more people with their HD locals.

The problem I have is that Dish announced that the new sats would for the most part be used for HD locals with no mention of HD nationals. I expected them to announce HD nationals and lay out somewhat of a plan to catch up with DirecTV. If they said "we will be adding 20 HD nationals in 2008" that would be nice, and may keep myself and others around. But they haven't done that. I don't even need specifics on channels, so the crowd that says they can't announce a channel until the deal is done has nothing to say about that. Let 'em add all the HD locals they want, but put some HD nationals on the table too.

Regarding my post about the networks, I was referring to the way networks handle things, it wasn't specific to Dish. It would be a change in the way things are handled by the networks, not Dish or any other provider.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)