Getting Started (Advice?)

FTARock20

Well-Known SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Nov 28, 2019
USA
I've been following FTA hobbyists for years, and I've decided to get into it myself. I've bought a used GTMedia receiver (not the best, I know, but it was cheap used), a 33 inch dish, a universal LNB, and a satellite finder. I don't plan to have the system setup full time as of yet. But I have several questions; I hope this is the appropriate place to ask.

1. Is this all legal? (Simply putting out a dish and pointing it at G19 for example)
2. What is the best way to set up a system temporarily? (Can be assembled/disassembled quickly)
3. How do I explain the hobby to others? (Everyone around here seems to think the hobby involves hacking and piracy. I've tried to explain that FTA is not about that, but nobody's convinced. Any ideas regarding that? Not that it matters much, but I don't want friends and family considering me a satellite pirate.)

Thank you all very much for the help and I apologize if these are quite noobish questions.

:welcome to the forum FTARock20
1. Yes this is very legal. And fun too :)
2. Many ways to set it up depending on your wants, needs and situation. Lots of us here are eager to help. :)
3. There are many services that are not encrypted and meant to be viewed with FTA equipment. ie. NASA, Glory Star, an assortment of religious oriented and family programming. Many international and religious channels are served this way. G19 has many of them. There are game feeds that can be found and viewed as many are not encrypted. It is not hacking and is not a replacement for normal cable or satellite pay services.

2. What is the best way to set up a system temporarily? (Can be assembled/disassembled quickly)
I recently had to move my dish to a temporary location because we had a patio put in.

Here is what I did:
1) Got a 4' x 4' piece of plywood from Home Depot
2) Bolted my dish pedestal to the plywood
3) Put about 300 pounds of concrete blocks on the plywood

But I was lucky because my dish pole already has a pedestal base. Most don't, so you may need to buy a 'Non penetrating roof mount', and weigh it down with blocks.

As for the cable run: For a long time I had it coming in through a window that was slightly open. That way I didn't have to drill a new hole through the house. But now I have the cable in underground plastic conduit which goes to a watertight box that has a hole into the house.

You can source wooden pallets for free, bolt your fixed dish using a J-mount to a pallet, then literally carry your dish around your yard to try to determine best site for permanent installation. You can find free or almost-free dishes via Craig's List or kijiji (in Canada). Don't give up searching for your first satellite. The first is the hardest to find in the sky.

Sent from my SM-G950W using the SatelliteGuys app!

To bring your cables through a difficult crank window, you can fill air gap with pipe insulation. Forms to air gap nicely and insulates well. Sliding window is much simpler. Slide window down on 2x4 lumber with F-connectors mounted in wood. Countersink holes as necessary.

Fixed dish is OK to start, but a motorized dish is the cat's-pajamas.

Sent from my SM-G950W using the SatelliteGuys app!

I have a dish on the way. I picked up one online. I have pallets on the property. Where exactly can I buy the proper equipment to mount my dish on the pallet?

Reactions: spongella
Also, the dish I've bought online specified "SUPPORT: TUBE AND TWO SUPPORTING FEET FOR BETTER STABILITY". What would this entail?

Just a kit marketed as a 33 inch dish on ebay. From the looks of it, it seems I overpaid a good chunk. The listing was titled "33" KU BAND SATELLITE DISH ANTENNA + FTA FREE TO AIR LNB CHINESE PERSIAN 97 118", also bought an LNB titled "Avenger KSC321S-2 Single Universal Linear Ku LNB". After I purchased this equipment, kind of regretting not getting it from a dedicated FTA site.

Also, the dish I've bought online specified "SUPPORT: TUBE AND TWO SUPPORTING FEET FOR BETTER STABILITY". What would this entail?
I looked at the eBay ad and it appears to come with everything you need to mount it on a wood pallet. Just need some wood screws to lock it down.

Also it comes with an LNBF, so you probably didn't need to buy the Avenger KSC321S-2.

Hate to take this thread any further off topic, but what would the difference be between the standard LNB that came with the listing and the universal LNB that I bought? Thanks a ton for the help, everyone.

A universal LNB allows you to receive a wider range of frequencies including down to 10.7 GHz. However, most of the signals you will receive in the U.S. will not require that capability. So in the U.S. and Canada, a standard LNB is usually all you need. But it never hurts to have a second LNB. In time, maybe you can install both on your fixed dish and be able to receive two satellites without moving the dish. The Avenger series is good; I use one. Next time you buy an LNB, buy one with PLL. It will lock the signals in nicely. I've never had to source a mount for the dish separately since the dishes I've obtained have come with them.

Welcome! For something temporary I've used 1/2 of a wooden pallet loaded down with bricks/concrete blocks, but it should be leveled. See pic below. To attach the dish I used the mount that came with it when I bought it new. I found this setup to be pretty stable and reliable.

Good idea to temporary mount the dish because you may need to move it around to different areas of the property for optimum performance.

As others stated this is completely legal. As for explaining to others about FTA, well this is an area most of the general public is unaware, like shortwave radio, ham radio, etc. Get some experience setting up the dish and watching what's available and you'll eventually figure out what to tell them :).

You came to the right place for assistance, this is a very friendly and knowledgeable group. Enjoy.

Attachments

• 100_3320.JPG
    100_3320.JPG
    146.1 KB · Views: 184
Welcome to the viewing world of signals instead of the forum . I also spent a lot of time lurking at this forum and ricks before I got my setup.

Hopefully you can get it set before the 4th even though that may be unrealistic timing, get a little taste of 103 before NC leaves. Kinda reminds me of the analog shut off for ATSC dtv.

Reactions: FTARock20
Yep- there are people today who think receiving over-the-air channels on a TV antenna is illegal!
Been busy the last couple of days and mostly just scanning the site every few hours and not posting much....so catching up a bit.
But, I was thinking the same thing, when I read the first post about the number of people I have ran into that thinks it is illegal, to put up an OTA antenna! :D

:welcome to the forum FTARock20!

Thank you all for the help. I'm quite excited. My receiver is coming today, and my coax and other LNB come Monday, and my dish should be here Tuesday, just before the 4th. What's on 103 if that's okay to ask?

Also, regarding mounts, I've talked with my father, and well, there are an overabundance of DirecTV mounts laying around my area, like 3, are they useful for anything?

Thank you all for the help. I'm quite excited. My receiver is coming today, and my coax and other LNB come Monday, and my dish should be here Tuesday, just before the 4th. What's on 103 if that's okay to ask?

Also, regarding mounts, I've talked with my father, and well, there are an overabundance of DirecTV mounts laying around my area, like 3, are they useful for anything?
103 (SES3) has NBC, NHK World, Cozi, and some news feeds. Here is a good website to look up the channels on each satellite: SES 3 at 103.0°W - LyngSat

Reactions: FTARock20

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)