Getting started

clckwrk

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Sep 22, 2011
United States
Hey all I've been lurking for a while and reading a good number of threads about FTA. I just need some points of advice/sanity check before I go and purchase some hardware.

So first obviously I need a receiver and I've posted here because it seems like AZbox is pretty popular and flexible. I'm a systems programmer (low level C) so I'm not shy about flashing embedded systems etc...Although I'm new to satellite hardware/jargon. I've seen this awesome review from 2009 "Review: Azbox Elite HD FTA Receiver" (sorry no link new post wouldn't let me) and it looks like a good box, but I'm concerned about the caveat of not starting on this box.

Given it's 2011 do people think that still applies for the AZbox Elite HD? Or can recommend a good but expandable (more dishes,pvr,mediacenter, kind of stuff) starter receiver for a first timer?

Second the dish. I seem to read a good deal that a 30" is the way to start. I think I'd like to start fixed with the option to expand to a motor as I'll surely get lazy. However, I have this same dish: "Newb looking to get started" (again the link thing, found through google) that thread discourages me from trying to reuse it. I assume it's better to start with a purchased expandable dish with maybe one ku LNB?

I've gone on long enough, let me know what you all think. Thanks.

I believe that the Elite has been discontinued for a while. I have the Ultra which was just recently discontinued. I bought the Ultra for its blind scanning and DVB-S2 receiving abilities, and the fact that down the line I can add a HDD to enable recording of shows.

I have been slowly getting into the hobby over the last six months. I purchased the AZBox to start with, and have loved my choice. Don't be scared off from purchasing an AZBox receiver to start. It has been easy to pick up on its operation. I've got a couple of Primestar 84E dishes, plus two Birdview 8' dishes all hooked into the Ultra, and am loving the results.

I believe that the Elite has been discontinued for a while. I have the Ultra which was just recently discontinued. I bought the Ultra for its blind scanning and DVB-S2 receiving abilities, and the fact that down the line I can add a HDD to enable recording of shows.

I have been slowly getting into the hobby over the last six months. I purchased the AZBox to start with, and have loved my choice. Don't be scared off from purchasing an AZBox receiver to start. It has been easy to pick up on its operation. I've got a couple of Primestar 84E dishes, plus two Birdview 8' dishes all hooked into the Ultra, and am loving the results.

Nice, yeah I've been trying to find the Elite and no one seems to sell it, I'm supposing that's why. So I've been eyeballing the premium plus so I think I'll go with that instead.

Those primestar dishes look very much like the one I have and I think on your blog it talks about replacing the LNBs on those? I'd assume the provider satellite LNB's won't work as I need ones that will do horizontal and vertical (whatever that means?) :)

I'm still a beginner after a few years with FTA but I would say that once you get started, you're really going to want a motor, so you might as well set it up that way from the beginning, (and start thinking about where you're going to put the big dish someday).

If you have about $400 to spend on a receiver, the Azbox is probably the way to go. I own an Elite but don't use it a whole lot, 95% of my receiver needs are handled by a $120 Openbox S9.

If you have a Primestar (or Channel Master) dish that's all you need to start with, they are great dishes. They do take some modification to motorize though.

If you are going to buy a new Ku dish I would go ahead and get at least a 36". Check our sponsors SatAv and Galaxy Marketing for deals on dishes and Ku LNBFs.

I agree with Phlatwound, if you buy a dish get at least a 36". If you don't have a good signal, no receiver will make up for it. If you have a primestar, others report that it is good, I have no experience. I have the Azbox Prem Plus and I am VERY happy with it. I believe that since you are familiar with software and how computers work, you will have no problems understanding its operation and using it effectively. It has many features and therefore the menus are extensive. I think that intimidates those who are not familiar with computers.
Good Luck!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)