Getting the BUD going?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

cliffover3

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Mar 16, 2009
US
Hi all, I have a mesh channel master BUD that has been disconnected for maybe 8yrs. The dish sets 100' to the rear of property. I need to splice the ribbon cable back on,, I cut 6 or 8' off just outside the house, that should't be a problem. I would like to pay for just a movie package and get some FTA.
After reading for about a week here and there I'm finding out the 4DTV Motorola 922 is hard to get and is most likley going to be used. Is the 922 reliable as used condition.
Is there an alternative to this reciever. I'm wondering if the DSR-410 plus a DVB reciever for FTA with a GBox v3000 would work. Or is there another reciever besides the 922 or the DSR-410. New to this stuff would like any suggestions.
Thanks

there are options , but it helps to research and to know what to look for and to ask sellers ( on ebay or wherever)
922 is the newest 4dtv model, will move a big dish & control polarity
920 is a older model , will move a big dish & control polarity
905 was the first 4dtv model and requires another analog receiver to move the dish

several providers are available with some offering al la cart programming.
these units have batteries and some fail, a unit with a failed battery or bad unit id # is toast for the most part. unless you can find someone who can repair like ATS Electronics, Inc. ask seller if battery has been replaced and what the unit id is / if it matches the # on the back of the unit.

the 410 is a newer model set up for one satellite ( all programming is on one satellite) this one can't move a dish shouldn't need to unless you want to do FTA also. programming provider might not sell just movie channels al la cart.... see DSR-410 Digital Programming
be wary of buying these used the program provider might not authroize the units unless you get it from them .... check before you buy

member sale

On the main page here is a section for sale of equipment, I noticed a little while back that one of our members here had a 922 for sale, you might refer to that and send him a message, to see if he still has it. Ebay or craigslist might be a place to find one too but I wouldn't buy one unless the seller will guarantee the unit will power up and the unit ID# will display. Those units have a battery that holds the unit ID and if it dies, so does the box.

Thanks folks for the info, this is getting complicated. I wish there was a reciever to replace the dsr 922. My old channel master has the video cipher unit in it but has been unpluged for yrs so it is toast for sure. I saw the one in the classified but a bit steep in price. Would prefer to get programming wherever I want to with a 922 but, I'll most likely play it safe and go with the dsr-410 and a movie package from the programmer mentioned. They say change out the lnb to a lnbf. so it sounds like a solid system. I'm still wondering if another receiver can be added to the same dish for FTA and if so would the Gbox take care of moving the dish.

Thanks

I am totally 4DTV illiterate, and don't know anything about the DSR410, but you should be able to add a DVB receiver for FTA reception, and yes, a G-Box should handle your dish movement, no problem.

well i can tell you that you don't have to rush out and get a 4dtv or a dsr-410 ( these are the units to receive programming) also almost all or all of the Videocipher channels are gone so its only Digicipher II so the VC-moduals are of little use....

the c-band dish will work for FTA with a DVB receiver you can use the old analog receiver to move the dish or get a gbox.

so you can ease into the hobby slowly and test the waters , i know i enjoy it and lots of others enjoy it .... but don't enter the hobby thinking it will replace paid programming it won't. ( but i rarely watch paid programming, but have to have it for the wife lol ) I tend to watch the wild feeds & sports feeds.

just talk things through ( think about what you like to watch ) and read reviews here on the site (this way you won't buy anything you don't need or get something that others have found hard to use), we will try to help as much as possible

thanks all, I'm still looking at the dsr922's e-bay, my old channel master reciever is the digicpher II, but it has been upluged for years. NPS shows instructions about moving the old cipher unit into a dsr922. Could my old cipher modual work? For buying a used dsr922 as long as it powers up and shows a ID number matching from display to rear, is that what I am gathering here. Battery and modual seperate?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts