Ghetto Satellite Rigs

Status
Please reply by conversation.

SpiffWilkie

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jul 16, 2008
Memphis, TN
Do we have a thread somewhere for ghetto set-ups?
What got me thinking was that I was trying to move my new (to me) BUD over to AMC 11. I don't have anything to move the motor yet, so I have just been loosening the little clamp that holds the motor and moving it that way. Unfortunately, I was about an inch short of getting AMC 11 before I ran out of room on the outer shaft and I couldn't tighten the clamp on the inner one. Fortunately, I had a rubber glove handy :D
sat12.jpg

or 2 - 50 footers with the connections in the house, plug and unplug to move the dish.
break the Ground prong off, then you can flip the connection to change direction

or get a GBox

Well, I made a deal to pick up another free BUD and receiver next week so hopefully I won't have to suffer much longer.

I guess I'm still missing it. Never hooked an extension cord to a car battery before.

I was thinking of taking two PC power cables* (does anyone not have 50 extras around the house?) and cutting off female end of one and the male end of the other. Strip the wires, connect one to the battery (with jumper cables?). Connect the other to the motor. Plug them both in to the extension cord. (And break the ground off of one, like Lak7 said, and flip it around to change direction)

Edit: *Or just use one cable and cut it in half. Once again, I tend to miss the obvious.

Last edited:
How about this...you've seen vehicles painted two different colors. How about a dish that is 2 different colors? :D

I finally got around to replacing the 2 pieces of the 6 foot dish that got damaged a while back. Sadoun had some extra pieces available so I bought some but hadnt put them on because it was winter.

Since it was nice out I fixed the dish...well I noticed right away that the panels were darker shade but oh well. A couple holes didnt line up either but we fixed that with the drill. Then I didnt see now there are 2 "Fortec" labels on it

Talk about ghetto...but hey...it works :D

Attachments

• 100_0155.jpg
    100_0155.jpg
    98.4 KB · Views: 213
  • 100_0156.jpg
    100_0156.jpg
    91 KB · Views: 166
  • 100_0157.jpg
    100_0157.jpg
    97.2 KB · Views: 147
  • 100_0158.jpg
    100_0158.jpg
    72.2 KB · Views: 150
I was re-furbing a 10' C-band dish years ago and I sprayed 7 out of 8 panels with a gloss black paint..........then I ran out. Being as how we lived an hour from any store that sold spray paint and I really wanted to set it up, I put 'er all together and intended on painting the remaining panel later. Of course I never did...........unfortunately no pictures though. That was probably 12 years ago or so.

Hey Iceberg, if you would have evened out the odd colored ones you could have had kind of a cool effect. As it is it doesn't look that bad. Or if you had one more of the darker ones you could have alternated them and had a flower petal effect............I digress.

This is a photo of my multi-lnbf bracket made from a rock. This is rock number two which gave me about 10% better Q than rock number one. Further peaking required a stick be inserted to change the angle of the LNB slightly. I think it qualifies as ghetto...

Attachments

• ghetto_lnbf.jpg
    ghetto_lnbf.jpg
    153.3 KB · Views: 192
Yes, but you could have picked up extra points if you'd used bailing wire instead of zip ties! - :D
Even more if it'd been a natural fiber such as dry grass or reeds.... or an old leather belt, etc... :eek:

I posted this elsewhere...

I just wanted to watch "Pirate TV" for a bit :D

the stake was just lying there...unused and I have this big bag of zipties
So...so...it just happened. It's in the backyard anyway! :eek:

Attachments

• 0317091704.jpg
    0317091704.jpg
    190.6 KB · Views: 209
Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts