Give DirecTV the BOOT if they don't add Philly Comcast Sportsnet NOW!! (search this on Facebook)

Status
Please reply by conversation.

PhillyPhreak

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Jun 9, 2011
Uganda
Are you a frustrated DirecTV subscriber and Philly sports fan who only wants to see thier local Phillies, Flyers and Sixers games the way other local fans do? Want to catch the Eagles Pre and Post Game Live broadcasts? Yeah, so do we! :mad:

Join our group at the following link and help us send a message to DirecTV to get us our CSN Philly NOW!! NO MORE EXCUSES!!

http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.1566995143842.2076675.1504329091#!/home.php?sk=group_192572164127058

Share this with any other DTV subscribing Philly sports fans you know!

Last edited:
You do realize that Comcast is withholding the channel from the satellite companies right?

DIRECTV and DISH both want the channel but Comcast won't give them access. In fact I believe there is a lawsuit about this.

If you are unaware of what's going on here with DirecTV and the Comcast Sportsnet Philadelphia Regional station, Comcast originally put the kabash on DirecTV carrying Philly Comcast Sportsnet (despite already allowing them access to the New England, Chicago, Washington and several other regions of the Comcast Sportsnet channels)l because they claimed DirecTV had a monopoly on the NFL Sunday Ticket, and therefore they were going to withhold the Philly channel until DirecTV shared it's licenses. Well, DirecTV took Comcast to court for this dispute, and on January 20th, 2010, DirecTV WON the battle and the courts stated that Comcast now had to share it's coveted Philly Comcast Sportsnet with satellite providers. THIS WAS A YEAR AND A HALF AGO!!

Yup they won and Comcast STILL has not given them access yet... even though the courts say they must.

Comcast is appealing the ruling... this is one of the big reasons why I didn't want to see them approve the Comcast NBC meger.

The answer that we are getting from DTV is that "they are still in negotiations" with Comcast for access to the channel. There was talk of an appeal a while back, but there was (not to my knowledge) and official appeal going through.

Last edited:
I should also add that my/our entire frustration is not with DTV, but also with Comcast. IMO, DTV is far superior in every other aspect that cable TV, which is also why I want to see DTV acquire the channel so I DON'T have to switch.

As far as Comcast, me and thousands of other people are TIRED of their monopoly over the entire Southeast PA/Philly region. And I agree the Comcast/NBC merger is ridiculous. It's turning into the Dark Empire.

What's adds even more salt to the wound (and I apologize in advance for rambling on), is that I live in the Philly area and people from the West Coast, or Texas, or Wisconsin, etc can see more Phillies, Sixers and Flyers games than I can! Even the DirecTV customers! Someone in California can watch the Philadelphia Phillies play the Washington Nationals on the Comcast Sportsnet Washington channel (which DTV carries) and get to see the entire game. If I try to watch that SAME game on the SAME channel, it is blacked out because COMCAST is carrying the game on their cable channel. How messed up is that? The same goes for the Comcast Florida, Dallas, New England, etc networks. Philly sports teams play on them all the time and local fans are blocked.

I know it is more difficult than this, but if they are not going to get access to CSN Philly, despite already winning the court battle, they should at least not black-out Philadelphia games that are being aired over Comcast cable. That it the definition of MONOPOLY!

Comcast is to blame...Scott already touched on it. They used a loophole for decades until ti got closed. Now they're playing the old "well we will charge you 10 bucks for our feed"

As for the rant on the game...the out of market packages are just that...out of market. In market games are blacked out. Doesnt matter if the local RSN is not carried. Its blacked out locally. They have to go by the rules.

Hell talk to a Dish sub who ordered NHL CI and Dish lost a couple RSN's in the process so they couldnt see games that they should have

What's adds even more salt to the wound (and I apologize in advance for rambling on), is that I live in the Philly area and people from the West Coast, or Texas, or Wisconsin, etc can see more Phillies, Sixers and Flyers games than I can! Even the DirecTV customers! Someone in California can watch the Philadelphia Phillies play the Washington Nationals on the Comcast Sportsnet Washington channel (which DTV carries) and get to see the entire game. If I try to watch that SAME game on the SAME channel, it is blacked out because COMCAST is carrying the game on their cable channel. How messed up is that? The same goes for the Comcast Florida, Dallas, New England, etc networks. Philly sports teams play on them all the time and local fans are blocked.

I know it is more difficult than this, but if they are not going to get access to CSN Philly, despite already winning the court battle, they should at least not black-out Philadelphia games that are being aired over Comcast cable. That it the definition of MONOPOLY!

Uhh no. That's the definition of BLACKOUT RULES. They are REQUIRED to black it out to customers in-market because they don't carry the channel. You have no idea what you're talking about. This is 100% Comcast's fault. Yes, DirecTV has access to the feed in order to provide OUT OF MARKET ST/EI/CI customers their product. But they can't just tell Comcast, "Screw you, we're just going to open up this channel to everyone". That breaks 27 different broadcasting rules, and the FCC would be all over them. Not to mention Comcast and whatever sport in season would sue them and win for illegally broadcasting their program and ignoring blackout requirements.

Cablevision used to do the same thing. I don't know if there is such thing as ''overflow" in the Philly market, but in the NYC market with 3 hockey teams and 2 basketball teams, there was often 3 games on in a given night, but only 2 main channels (MSG/MSG+). The 3rd game would get shoved over to a Cablevision exclusive channel called Metro. This channel was not on DirecTV, and even though the feed was available to them for Center Ice, it remained blacked out to in-market customers. It's the exact same thing. Now, Cablevision did away with this channel long ago so it's not a problem anymore to DirecTV, but they used the same FCC loophole that Comcast is hiding under.

So yeah, calling for people to dump DirecTV because of something that they have absolutely no control over is pretty stupid. You really need to get your facts straight.

Last edited:
Hell talk to a Dish sub who ordered NHL CI and Dish lost a couple RSN's in the process so they couldnt see games that they should have

Exactly! Back in October I had ordered Dish specifically for Center Ice (even more specifically to get the Devils games) and I told the CSR that.. They never told me that there was a dispute with Fox and Cablevision going on, and that I would not receive ANY of the Devils feeds off MSG. After two weeks of having to watch nothing but opponent feeds and only having one of eight games provided in HD, I was totally fed up that I was not getting what I paid $160 for. I called to cancel, and I ripped several people new ones about being lied to, and because of that I wasn't paying any cancellation fee. They wound up eating the entire bill plus the $30 for the return shipping boxes. That's when I became a (return) DirecTV customer.

I don't know if there is such thing as ''overflow" in the Philly market
there is. IT use to be called CN8 but now its just "The Comcast Network"...usually if more than one team is playing at same time they bump games to OTA TV

Scott Greczkowski said:
Yup they won and Comcast STILL has not given them access yet... even though the courts say they must.

Comcast is appealing the ruling... this is one of the big reasons why I didn't want to see them approve the Comcast NBC meger.

They already approved the NBC and Comcast merger.

Sent from my HTC ThunderBolt using the SatelliteGuys App

If you are unaware of what's going on here with DirecTV and the Comcast Sportsnet Philadelphia Regional station, Comcast originally put the kabash on DirecTV carrying Philly Comcast Sportsnet (despite already allowing them access to the New England, Chicago, Washington and several other regions of the Comcast Sportsnet channels)l because they claimed DirecTV had a monopoly on the NFL Sunday Ticket, and therefore they were going to withhold the Philly channel until DirecTV shared it's licenses. Well, DirecTV took Comcast to court for this dispute, and on January 20th, 2010, DirecTV WON the battle and the courts stated that Comcast now had to share it's coveted Philly Comcast Sportsnet with satellite providers. THIS WAS A YEAR AND A HALF AGO!!

Directv cannot bargain Sunday Ticket rights to Comcast, those rights belong to the NFL. You don't have to believe everything Comcast tells you...

isaacmorseMI said:
They already approved the NBC and Comcast merger.

Sent from my HTC ThunderBolt using the SatelliteGuys App

Yeah I know and after the merger one of the commissioners who voted yes to the merger left the fcc to work for Comcast.

Funny how that happened. ;)

PhillyPhreak said:
Are you a frustrated DirecTV subscriber and Philly sports fan who only wants to see thier local Phillies, Flyers and Sixers games the way other local fans do? Want to catch the Eagles Pre and Post Game Live broadcasts? Yeah, so do we! :mad:

Join our group at the following link and help us send a message to DirecTV to get us our CSN Philly NOW!! NO MORE EXCUSES!!

http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.1566995143842.2076675.1504329091#!/home.php?sk=group_192572164127058

Share this with any other DTV subscribing Philly sports fans you know!

Its Comcast fault not D*

So yeah, calling for people to dump DirecTV because of something that they have absolutely no control over is pretty stupid. You really need to get your facts straight.

Pretty stupid? Why because I want them to act faster on pursuing a channel they won access to a year and a half ago? So what if Comcast is still disputing the rights (although they are bigger douche-bags than DTV in this whole scenario, which I clearly admitted earlier.....which no one seems to have read)? Take them to court or whatever needs to be done and move on with it. When you win a court battle and the loser says "well, the verdict still isn't cool with us, so f**k off", you don't say to them "well, I guess you're right, keep your channel". You fight them legally, which we have no news on.

Again, as I stated earlier, a while back there was talk of a court appeal. From all the information I've gotten, it appears to have never developed into another court battle. I have spoken to DTV several times and numerous friends have spoken to DTV, and their response was that they are not going to court, but that they "are negotiating pricing on the channel and they will be gaining access as soon as possible". If you know some behind-the-scenes information on this that the news outlets, DTV or myself do not know, then PLEASE enlighten us. Otherwise, don't tell me I'm stupid for telling Philly Sports fans to bail on a TV provider who won't push harder at obtaining a channel so that these fans can see their hometown sports teams play! Maybe you're not a sports fan, and I'm guessing certainly not a Philly Sports fan, but seeing your teams pplay is a huge deal. Oh and by the way, I never would have posted something like this a couple of years ago, because I KNEW DTV had their hands tied on the matter. Which is why I stayed with cable for the longest time so I could get CSN Philly. Now, it's a different story.

OK, so this brings up the next question. Is CSN price gauging DTV for the channel, which is also likely? Maybe, I don't know. But I do know that since January 20th, 2010, when they won the court battle with Comcast, DTV has added a slew of other channels which cost plenty of money to add to their line-up. It's not like DTV is hurting for money, given that their are more DTV subscribers than any other TV outlet. And if they don't want to fork out the big bucks, perhaps they could lose some channels like the GEM Network, GOD TV (since there's already 6 different Jesus channels in their line-up), Jewelry TV, and the dozen or so other ridiculous channels that take up programming space. That will free up some cash for the folks in the Philly market who want CSN Philly, regardless of it's big price tag.

Directv cannot bargain Sunday Ticket rights to Comcast, those rights belong to the NFL. You don't have to believe everything Comcast tells you...

What the hell are you talking about? Who said that I said DirecTV can bargain Sunday Ticket with Comcast. Comcast stated that they wouldn't share their CSN Philly channels because DTV had sole rights to the Sunday Ticket. I was never under the impression that they could bargain with Comcast, so I'm not sure why you bother posting that?

Status
Please reply by conversation.