Give the consumers what they want.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

twolf58

Well-Known SatelliteGuys Member
Jan 10, 2008
With all of the complaining, lawsuits, and constant problems the providers have with the pirate community; why not give the consumers what they have been asking for the whole time?

A short web search reveals a common gripe the “other camp” has always had; obscenely overpriced packaged programming that no one wants but are forced to pay for in addition to one or two more levels just to get the handful of channels they do watch.

Yes I have heard the providers’ argument about resulting cost increases and possible die off of undersubscribed programming but let’s face the music; the real costs come from sports and Disney programming and the same search will reveal the demand for that will remain.

It seems to me the answer doesn’t lie in fighting the FTA community and hardware suppliers but rather in cooperation with them. Give the consumer a FTA HD PVR hardware solution that has North American provider multiple card support and true A-La-Carte program offerings.

The FTA community then doesn’t have to pay for what they don’t want (free FTA channels already there) and have provider supported access to the premium programming the vast majority are willing to pay for.

Quit force feeding the consumer and resistance will fall to a manageable level and demand for illegal pirate activity will fall to a point that cost vs. profitability limits participation.

As in all free enterprise, the market will work it’s self out in the end.

Would you not end up with a handfull of channels surviving at a reasonable cost and the rest being extremely expensive due to the very low subscriber count? Too bad if you like a channel that does not have a high subscriber rate, as it will not survivie.

Would you not end up with a handfull of channels surviving at a reasonable cost and the rest being extremely expensive due to the very low subscriber count? Too bad if you like a channel that does not have a high subscriber rate, as it will not survivie.

I doubt the effect would be quite as negative as that. We must remember that the terrestrial broadcaster has survived since the beginning of TV without any direct subscriber support until being offered through rebroadcast providers. Commercial ads are as prevalent on cable and satellite systems as they are on OTA so the quality content providers will survive regardless.

I don’t think any one has truly advocated an only a la carte system so those who prefer to assemble or purchase packages at reduced prices still could and I am betting that many will. The real advantage is selling additional programming to those who forgo additional tiers just to get the one or two channels they like and would now be willing to subscribe to them.

An even more significant advantage with multi card enabled IRD’s is the ability to purchase programming from multiple providers thus fostering competition and increasing programming choices. The consumer could very well end up having access to even more programming and almost certainly at better prices. Just think of the extra business that would be sent to installers for adding more dishes and LNB’s to pick up more birds.

A more interesting approach would be an all pay per view system. Different channels may have different rates, but one could purchase credits that get used up as you watch TV. One would be able to tune in to any channel much like buying a phone card with different rates to different countries. Use it untill it is used up and then reload your credits.

A more interesting approach would be an all pay per view system. Different channels may have different rates, but one could purchase credits that get used up as you watch TV. One would be able to tune in to any channel much like buying a phone card with different rates to different countries. Use it untill it is used up and then reload your credits.

I think that is quite possibly the ultimate future of media distribution anyway. Consumers are all about choices and to compete with the variety of delivery methods available right now some pretty significant changes are bound to be necessary.

Larry,
What you are suggesting already exists. Check our DishNow Prepaid System

With this DishNow system and a GREEN DOT MONEYPAK (found at Walmart / RiteAid / CVS and other stores) you can pretty much pick and choose what you want to watch. Pay as you go, no contract, credit card, or commitment required.

Prepai2.gif

The WWW will win the race...unless...

With all of the delivery options I already have at my home including ATSC, cable, satellite, internet, and now fiber from the phone company, the only one that seems to be on the ball is the World Wide Web. Traditional provider schemes are definitely behind the curve and when better web enabled AV equipment becomes available (and you can be sure it will) the rest are going to be in a world of hurt.

The technology exists right now for everyone to be part of the mix but those who hold out will be hurt the worst. The source providers aren’t stupid and will offer their programming to any platform that they see a profit from so the idea that their loyalty to current outlets is exclusive is pretty narrow minded and won’t float for long.

....the only one that seems to be on the ball is the World Wide Web...

It is pretty good but still in it's early stages. If you have multiple TVs at home and want to watch a decent video you will need a super broadband connection (20 mbps or higher). (Check your speed here: Speedtest.net - The Global Broadband Speed Test ). Also, for HDTV one channel will consume the full tunnel speed.

Several areas that have fiber optic connections will have no problem reaching that speed and higher. But copper connections will continue to have limited speeds.

It is pretty good but still in it's early stages. If you have multiple TVs at home and want to watch a decent video you will need a super broadband connection (20 mbps or higher). (Check your speed here: Speedtest.net - The Global Broadband Speed Test ). Also, for HDTV one channel will consume the full tunnel speed.

Several areas that have fiber optic connections will have no problem reaching that speed and higher. But copper connections will continue to have limited speeds.

You are right and I get my internet through the local phone company who recently laid fiber to my house. With it soon to be lit up my options will increase exponentially.

With that said, I don’t want to see any of the current systems die so as I see it the best bet for continued viability for all is for everyone to get their offerings in the home.

I am not advocating giving their product away but to compete it needs to be available at the click of a remote. And it won’t work if it costs the consumer too much just to have that option. I know I won’t pay for any ridiculously high packages just to let them in my door.

The answer lies in getting their offerings into a universally connected hardware solution and let them all slug it out through advertising. Remember “If you build it they will come” and nothing fits this phrase better.

One more thing...

Oh yea…I almost forgot to mention it but if I’m not mistaken the one platform with the existing ability to offer the most bandwidth is where????

You guessed it…in the sky. :)

Change can be terrifying…but maybe not…

The real beauty of this concept is that the providers don’t have to change at all.

Comparatively speaking very little investment is required to accomplish the realization of future growth.

First, stop giving so much hardware away.

The consumer could buy an off the shelf receiver with expansion slots enabling the individual providers the ability to develop their own tuner/adapter cards. Security would be enhanced since replacement (if it ever became necessary) would be far cheaper than swapping the entire IRD and CAM’s can still be used for an extra layer if desired.

Traditional package programming with existing provider supplied IRD’s and equipment can still be offered to current customers and any new ones who desire it.

The only change required will be software based inside the universal equipment allowing a la cart delivery and that too can be updated just like current IRD’s are.

The cost of the tuner card can be passed on to the consumer in traditional ways like one time installation charges or package commitments.

Ok I think I'm done now....just my 2 cents...er...well maybe a little more.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)