GIVEAWAY - DMX241 C Band LNBF Giveaway from WS International

Status
Please reply by conversation.
It's happened in 1997 when I saw some FTA programs at my friend's house; he had big C-band dish and very heavy analog sat receiver; I recall how he manually move the dish for each sat because he wasn't aware of motor wires and did connect just coax cable to LNB :).

I like fta since day one and I never win with this contests anyhow. That my 2 cents.

It's hard for me to remember a time that it wasn't either a hobby/job/business. Since starting in satellite in 1979 it's been a way of life. I would like to win this so I can use it to set up a small C band dish for my daughters family.

WS Giveaway

We got a BUD several years ago and saw FTA equipment advertised in Skyvision's catalog. After we quit using the BUD, we saw SatelliteGuys site and decided to take the plunge into FTA. We love it. This site rocks...

I heard about FTA where I work. After some disbelief, I decided to check it out on the internet, found Satelliteguys.us and got hooked :cool:. I bought a dish, LNB, and feedline from one of the sponsors and a receiver from a co-worker.:D

Thanks for becoming one of the fine SG's great sponsors and thanks for a great contest. :welcome

I've known about FTA most of my life.
My dad bought his 8.5 foot solid before I was born.

Being a techno-head, I jump feet-first back into the hobby after the dish got back up on the pole. I knew all it needed was the latest decoder (whatever the latest-and-greatest system they had moved to these days :rolleyes: :D :cool:)

Funny enough, I just got myself a mesh and am looking to replace the polarotor with a voltage-switched!
I'm an One-Cable-Solution kind of guy

:welcome and good job on bringing your company to the attention of the FTA community!

I found FTa AS a hobby when I worked as an installer for dish. I quickley found out about ku hd, and CBAND hd. I have used FTA from all parts of the world. From Iraq to USA and everything inbetween including korea, I have used a Free to air dish to pick up all sorts of signals :)

I bought a Sky Angel Lifetime Subscriptions in 1987 when It started out with about four channels.
In the 1993, I bought two more life time subscriptions for my sons. After Sky Angel Burnt me, I went looking for Christian programming .:) I found GloryStar AV Satellite and got into FTA Ku .:)

In the last year I was hearing about FTA and have since set up on ku, I love RTN for all the old shows and Retro Jams for the classic tunes. I am in the process of getting two 8 foot BUD's. I am still learning but anything new is always good to have.

One day back in Feb. 2009 I was searching the web looking for a PVR to record TV but not Tivo, because I didn't want to pay the monthly fee. I stumbled across FTA receivers that had PVR built into them. As soon as I figured out what FTA was, I was hooked.

Wondered what was up there since the 80's

Well I wondered what was up there while working one evening at HP in boise. Thinking of the days when BUD ruled the back yards. That is when I decided to search the internet and found FTA. It took a few years to get a receiver, dish and motor. But after that is became a hobby. Now with a BUD in storage and mutiple receivers. The sky will be the limit or at least 4dtv when I get my BUD up.

FTA for now,

Josh

Been interested in ham radio and scanning the 'airwaves' since 1962.
However the radio hobby faded as my interest in computers increased during the 80's.
Then I installed a satellite dish to watch the 1998 world cup....
As soon as I saw the signal meter levels hopping (as I aligned the dish) - I knew I had to have more.
I was hooked on the scanning the 'airwaves' once again.

I got bitten by the FTA bug after a friend gave me a 10' C-band dish, motor, and analog receiver he had removed from a local hotel that was closing. He was going to put it up but no space in his back yard so I lucked out! Thought I would use it for satellite tracking and microwave DXing but I thought I would try and see what I could pick up with the original LNB and receiver. Took a month or so to get the pole planted and the dish mounted and assembled. Then one day I take the small TV, analog receiver, and extention cords and see what there is to see. After maybe a half hour I had a picture of the Canadian Parlament... I had found one of the Anik satallites! Following the arc westward I found C-span, The Arts Channel, and some other stuff. I was hooked! A few months later I graduated to a DVB receiver, same one I am using now.
Great hobby and great to have forums like this!!
Cham.

I fell into FTA sort of accidentally. My DN 301 remote went bad on me and I was searching for a replacement remote on the internet (they wanted $80 or something outrageous at the local shop).

During my searches on the net for a remote, I ran across an ad for the Coolsat 5000 which listed all these odd satellites that I had never heard of before, like Intelsat X and Galaxy Y and others.

I was slightly familiar with the C-Band satellites as my older brother runs a TV repair shop and has set up the C-Band dishes for people in his area out in western Nebraska where there isn't much for local OTA stuff. I was rather interested as I did not realize that there were so many Ku band satellites other than DN or DirecTV, or that they offered FTA signals.

So, on a whim, I just bought one to play with. That was 4 years ago and the same receiver is keeping me company still today. Darn thing won't get RTN now though! :)

By the way, I never did get a remote for my 301 receiver!

RADAR

My uncle got a BUD in the late 70's/early 80's as they could not get any cable at his house. It fascinated me as an early teen and I knew I wanted one. We lived in town and no good southern view. I went to college in the city, went into the army, got out, got job in the city and had apartments. Finally, moved to smaller town in 2002 and in the country in 2005. Found this site in April 2004 and started reading. Moved to the country in 2005 and took me until 2007 to start playing with a primestar dish that my father in law had lying around. Got a receiver (Mercury II) and started playing and have been hooked ever since. Have a 90cm with a motor installed and have 68 inch C-band with me and a bird dog/Merc II as the motor. Love getting those sports and special events feeds.

Dan.

I first got the FTA bug back around 1985 my neighbor had an * foot C Band with the Uniden analog receiver , one day he asked me if I wanted to buy it sure I said, I got a couple of friends from work we took the dish and put it over the fence the pole and attached huge piece of concrete attached we rolled from his backyard to mine (that cost me a few beers for my friends) . Had the setup for many years and the one of our Florida Hurricanes blew it down, but I still want to get back to the C band set up I have a KU system now.

I got into FTA several years ago after cancelling DirecTV and searching online for information about other uses for the dish. I saw an ad for FTA (the wrong kind) which lead me to google FTA and I stumbled across ftalist and satelliteguys and the rest is history. :)

After retiring from the Air Force I bought a house in North Georgia. The property owners left a B.U.D. and an analog receiver behind. I decided to play around with the receiver and found that I could get one of my wifes"s soaps on ABC tv on T-5 that was a day ahead of the broadcast day. That was fun, so I tried moving the dish around and found a few more channels. After learning that things were going digital I decided to see if a receiver existed that could pick up these digital programs. That is where I discovered FTA. Now I'm hooked.

Well, I found out about satellite viewing as a hobby probably either by reading an electronics magazine "way back when", or by the frequent mentions on the old "Signals" shortwave radio program. As for FTA, I'm pretty sure I first heard about that while listening to the late Gary Bourgeois on his "Friday Night Live" show ("Live from Marquette, Michigan, the land that time forgot!").

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)