Goin on a dish hunt tomorrow!

Status
Please reply by conversation.

shmew22

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Nov 30, 2008
Kentucky
I figured I'd take the weekend and go out on a dish hunt. Got my eye on a couple old Hughes dishes (wimax implementation rendered a lot unused here) and the p* dish i spotted the other day. If all goes well i may be looking at two to four dishes tomorrow! Any tips on convincing owners to let em go?

Offer to remove those unsightly things for free.

Have a tube of caulking and fill any screw holes.

If they want money, open your wallet, show it's bare but for a $10 bill, and offer it to 'em. ;)

If they want more, thank 'em and say you have a list of others to look at... smile and leave.

Thanks for the tips! Hopefully my first hunt goes well... Pics tomorrow if I Succeed. Haha

Be sure to take plenty of pictures so you can win the next "Dish Hunt Photo Contest"!
Take field glasses and wear camouflage so you can sneak up on the dish.

Remember bug spray goes in your left pocket, PB Blaster in the right pocket. Please don't get confused, the results can be ugly.

mjac said:
Remember bug spray goes in your left pocket, PB Blaster in the right pocket. Please don't get confused, the results can be ugly.

Does this come from experience? Lol

It's just a shame Linuxman isn't around to write up some tips 'n suggestions for ya.
He's got to be in the all-time top ten, if not top three around here.
Why, he could talk an old lady out of her Birdview, without even breaking a sweat! :)
And Ku dishes...? He had people bringing 'em to him! :up

Offer to remove those unsightly things for free.

Maybe he should try reverse psychology first. When he spots a possible dish, and establishes with the owner that the dish is no longer in use, ask the owner how much they will pay you to dispose of this unsightly thing for them. Start out high, like a hundred bucks. If that's too much, then try, 75 bucks, then 50 bucks, etc. Then finally offer to take it down and away for free, thus the owner thinking he's getting a real bargain.

Got one dish so far! Couple more to look still... 1 for 2 this far... Pics! ( postin on my iPhone) can't figure out how to rotate the lnb pic.

Attachments

• image-1630157475.png
    image-1630157475.png
    248.9 KB · Views: 220
  • image-3716160694.jpg
    image-3716160694.jpg
    117.6 KB · Views: 187
  • image-1125154669.png
    image-1125154669.png
    272 KB · Views: 187
Nice find.
It looks like the Hughesnet dish I have pointed at T12 15w. I am using the stock lnb works fine. Still has the transmit amp on it (not used for FTA)

Was gonna be my next question... Is if that was necessary to remove to function... Guess not tho. Thanks!

Here it is... Set in the ground and the first one aimed at 97w... What ya think?

Attachments

• image-4173157633.jpg
    image-4173157633.jpg
    79.8 KB · Views: 172
  • image-144977930.png
    image-144977930.png
    244.9 KB · Views: 190
  • image-989650729.jpg
    image-989650729.jpg
    81 KB · Views: 191
  • image-960015141.png
    image-960015141.png
    165.2 KB · Views: 194
  • image-2789448602.jpg
    image-2789448602.jpg
    87.5 KB · Views: 185
  • image-3964829657.png
    image-3964829657.png
    226.2 KB · Views: 200
  • image-1444537607.png
    image-1444537607.png
    280.3 KB · Views: 198
  • image-3475054235.png
    image-3475054235.png
    178.5 KB · Views: 212
That would be correct! And that included a trip to lowes for some concrete lol. :D
only thing i need to work out now is how to get the signal to all three rooms... I assume i need a multiswitch to do that? confused on tht one cause it only has one output. Thanks for the help and tips guys!

only thing i need to work out now is how to get the signal to all three rooms...
I assume i need a multiswitch to do that?
confused on tht one cause it only has one output.

If the dish and feedhorn are round (not elliptical) you could replace your LNB & feed with an aftermarket Standard unit that has two outputs.
Then, you could hook those two outputs to a 2x4, 3x4, 4x8 or 5x8 multiswitch,.
Some of the bigger switches are actually cheaper or easier to find.
For instance, the WNC 4x8 and Zinwell/DirecTV 6x8 (actually just a 4x8 with attitude) could be free to $12.
Here in the Switches Simplified FAQ is how to wire it.
If you go with the 4-input models, you could add an additional dish/LNBF at a later time.
If you insist on using Universal LNBFs then you must use 2- or 3-input multiswitches.

Another choice is to use a 4-output LNBF (they are all Universal)
No switch required.

If the dish 'n feedhorn are elliptical, then you need a bolt-on LNB that will mate with your custom feedhorn.
If that's the case, we'll discuss some choices, including a recycled DishNet bandstacked LNB.
I won't pound away at the keyboard discussing something you probably won't go with unless it seems necessary.

Thanks for the link! read that entire thread :eek:
The dish is elliptical, and i got to thinking on something that in my head works but in practice might not. i was thinking if i used an all port power passing splitter and a 3x4 multiswitch with a diseqc on each reciever... diagram attached of how im thinking... my theory is if the multiswitch just passes the voltages to select v and h the splitter would let both voltages get to the lnb. like i said... a theory that prolly wont work... don't know if that would blow the lnb or what...

edit: reason for the splitter is the lnb only has one output...

diagram.png

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts