SG9120 Motor not moving after storm

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Duster014

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Jul 20, 2010
Georgia
I had storm come through the other day and now the SG9120 motor wont move. Reset the motor, reset the Pansat 4500. You can manually move it by the button on the motor, but not through the receiver. Green light is on the motor. So it seems to be getting power to it from the receiver. I even put back in the readings, Lat and Long on USALS in the receiver and tried Diseqc on the receiver to get it to move. No luck on anything.

Hope storm didn't kill something in the motor or mess up the Receiver. It even messed up the Directv, but got it going again. Had to end up putting my HDMI cable on HDMI2 to start receiving the Directv again. It wont work on HDMI1 no more. Dang Power surges.

Has to be something simple I am overlooking to get the SG9120 going again.

I set Latitude: 33.592° N Longitude: 85.20°W or do I have them backwards? Receiver shows moving dish but its not actually moving.

Anybody else have any suggestions as what to try to get it going again???

sounds like a cable or connector problem/short....i would start by inspecting the cable that goes from the receiver to the motor for ant cracks or water penetration....im assuming you have no switches between the receiver and motor....next try replacing the cable end that connects the receiver cable to the motor....if all this fails try a different receiver....will it move the motor??....if that fails i would bring the motor inside and connect it to a receiver with a short piece of rg6 for easier testing....

No switches between motor and receiver. Don't have another receiver to try. Only switch is between lnb and motor, 3x4 multi switch. Receiver won't move motor, but shows on screen it is moving motor, but motor not moving.

Was just curious, so this morning when I got home from work and walked out and checked the motor... the light was showing green on the motor. The receiver was turned off. Normally when I turn off the receiver with the remote inside the house the light goes out on the motor and no power to it. I unhooked the lnb and tried to move the motor through the receiver, it still didn't move. So i think that rules out the lnb and 3x4 switch.

Only way I could get the light to go off at the motor was unplug the receiver. I tried turning it off through the receiver but it still stayed green. Normally when you change lnb from on to off with the remote, it will turn off the power to the motor and green light goes off. But that didn't work either.

Everything seems to be working fine on the receiver, just will not show any channels if you manually move the motor and try to scan something. No radio or tv channels show up. But can play the games that are on the the receiver. All my menu screens are showing from the receiver on the tv.

Beginning to wonder if the coax didn't get shorted out somehow when the lightning struck right next to the house or could be something inside the receiver. I will leave the receiver unplugged today until I get back up and see if that helps. If not will go this weekend and pickup another 100' of coax. Really don't feel like taking the motor or dish all apart. I might have some extra coax laying around to try that first.

Sad part I ran most of the coax through pvc that i buried in the ground and the rest is under the house. If not the coax, then something is shorted out inside the receiver, causing it not to move and not letting it turn off power at the motor. Receiver was not turned on during the storm and was not in use, but doesn't mean it still couldn't have shorted out something from the lightning strike.

Well need sleep been up since yesterday. Anybody else guessing something happened to the coax from receiver to motor?

You could always try 'factory-defaulting' the receiver, or reloading the firmware to it, sometimes a receiver's firmware can get corrupted.

Status
Please reply by conversation.