Going C-Band ... Have a question!

Status
Please reply by conversation.

KJ6EO

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Apr 16, 2013
118.3W 34.3N
I've enjoyed my motorized 90cm Ku Band Dish and MicroHD receiver for months now. I've decided to dump
the 90cm Ku Band dish and install a 1.8m Prime Focus C-Band dish with a dual band FLNB. Not only will this
give me C-Band but I imagine that it will help me with some of the weak Ku Band signals (like OETA, which
fades out at night). Maybe even COZI will be stronger so that I won't have to run allot of skew.

I'm posting because I have a question about which actuator I'll need. I have a pretty clear view of the Southern Sky here so I can tune in SATS on the Ku Band from 60w - 129w. I want to have that range also with the C-Band Dish. I've already assumed that a 12" actuator won't be enough. So, would an 18" actuator get the job done? Should I just go all the way and get a 24" acutator?

Your expert advice and guidance would be appreciated!

Regards,

Bill - KJ6EO

I would think an 18" actuator would easily have enough travel to go from 60W-129W.

Don't be surprised if you get better signal quality on Ku with your 90cm offset dish, than you will on a 6' prime focus, especially with a typical dual band LNBF.

Your best bet is to keep your 90cm offset for Ku, and run a C-band only LNBF (or better) on your BUD.

And 8-10' BUD is better, (if you can do that).

I wouldn't dump the .9m Ku all that fast. Especially if it's on a motor. Put up the 1.8, tune it up, then compare performance. You may find the little Ku dish does better. The dual band LNBF's have to 'trade off' performance on each band in order to accommodate both bands. Tuning them for one band usually adversely effects the other. Many are tuned to a compromise the user can 'live with'. YMMV. (you can run a VBox and a USALS motor from one receiver. Receiver>Vbox>motor>switch>LNBF's)
Cozi in many instances a 'tough one' for many. (There's posts to that effect) Best bet is a dedicated dish*. Maybe you can get by with a dedicated .9m dish? How's the signal on Cozi when you skew -26 degrees from normal?
*That may be the case until the replacement satellite comes online. IMHO Because of the skew issue many have opted for a dedicated dish. Many have opted for a dedicated dish @ 125W also.(different reasons, same principle, better performance- more reliable)
Actuator - an 18 should suffice. But a 24 inch would also. And the 24 inch would be capable of moving the bigger dish that's in the future. They are equipped with an adjustable limit switch so as not to overextend on the 1.8.

Last edited:
I'm in the same boat you are -- potentially. I'm going to do some experiments comparing the 90cm to the 1.8 but it might not happen until the July 4th weekend, or maybe even later. I will post my experiments and results as soon as I can get around to it.

I'd still use the smaller dish for KU, I don't think you'll like the results the cband dish will do on KU. OETA is a pain to get in the first place. My old 36" Primestar will get it during the day but not at night in most cases. I've got a 24" actuator on my 8 foot dish and get 58W-139W without issues. I agree that getting Cozi is a pain also.

Don't go 1.8 and spend money unless that is your only option(some kind of restriction, land lord, HOA, WIFE). It will just leave you wanting more and you will dump it very quick and go with a bigger dish.
Also like others have said, your .9M dish will out perform it on Ku.

Thanks to all of you for your replies. I have received allot of expert advice here and your help is always appreciated. I wasn't aware that a dual band FLNB wouldn't perform as good as a mono band one. Regarding my 90cm GeoSat Pro dish and DG 380 HH Motor, MicroHD Receiver, they have performed flawlessly together. I can easily tune between 60w-129w. I hit a range limit at 60w. I haven't gone any further than 129w, so I haven't hit the other range limit.

Regarding a larger dish, I'd certainly entertain the idea of getting something like a 8' Prime Focus Dish. But then ... there is
the problem of where to get it from. I live in SoCal and I can't find a single new 6' or 8' Prime Focus Dish out here. I know
that a BUD is the best, but I like the look of the Prime Focus Dishes. Would anyone happen to know where I could buy a
resonably priced 8' Prime Focus Dish here in SoCal?

Regards,

Bill - KJ6EO

Maybe an offset BUD (Big Ugly Dish) instead could be called a LUD (Less Ugly Dish). :clap

This post made my day! That was funny, I knew you had a night job Brian.

Overview of BUDs

Prime focus BUDs come in all sizes from 5' to 25'!
Many of us spend our time looking for, reviewing, promoting, and recycling BUDs from the 80's & 90's.
Always cheap. Sometimes free. :)

Really exceptional 8'ers and average 10'ers are the best choice and most plentiful.
12'ers are rare; few members need or hunt them.

14' and above were probably on fixed mounts at TV stations.
They give you bragging rights, but are otherwise useless for the average viewer.

5' & 6' dishes are fun toys, but you eventually WILL want more. :)

Over the years, commercial dishes and those promoted for home viewing have been constructed various ways.

A common and less expensive type is mesh.
Triangular metal panels of expanded steel or aluminum are fitted to a light weight frame.
The holes are diamond shaped.

Next up the food chain is the perforated.
It can have sheets on a frame as the mesh, above.
Characterized by metal panels, punched with little round holes.
The 10' Winegard Pinnacle is a fine example.
The flexable aluminum panels are fitted to an aluminum frame.
Perfs also come as one-piece, made from thicker metal.
The large perforated blank is either stamped or spun into shape.
Examples are Birdview perf, the Paraclipse Hydro, and the perf in my signature .
They hold their own shape.

Solid dishes have been made a number of ways.
We recently had a thread about a commercial DH 10' spun aluminum.
The metal is 1/8" thick and it needs no additional support.
There are commercial dishes molded in four wedges.
Commonly built by Channel Master (later renamed Andrew), and Prodelin.
These dishes have ribs molded into the backside, and are generally prized.
There were also some dishes constructed with Fiberglas boat and dune buggy technology.
They are generally heavy, and over time, some sag and loose their shape.

We won't even talk about the various mounts! :)

Thanks again for all the information. I have spotted a few BUDS in my area. I have no idea if they're being used or not. I hate to go to their door "cold turkey" and ask if they want to get rid of it. Maybe putting a want ad in the local shopper mags would be the way to go. In one of the earlier replies, someone asked what the signal strength of OETA was here at my location. During the day the signal fluctuates between 25%-50% with no break up. At Sunset, the signal peaks drop down to around 25% and the signal begins to break up (unwatchable). The majority of the channels I watch from 72w to 125w are 75% solid. I've noticed that some of the weak signals can be improved by skewing my FLNB by -5 degrees. That's where I currently have it set.

Why not knock on their door and ask? They might be inside praying that they could find some sucker to take that ugly old thing out of their yard, and then here you come, and answer to their prayers!

Just do that sort of thing with a truck (or trailer) and with tools already with you if at all possible! If they say "Take it!" tear it down then and there, and get outa Dodge quickly...

Nothing worse than leaving to come back later, and it's gone when you come back...

I can get a 210cm Prime Focus Dish out of Canada (Digiwave) for $320.00 plus $69.00 shipping. I'm asking right now if it
comes with a Polar Mount. Any comments on Digiwave Dishes?

The panels are very thin, .7t. Same product design as the "out of production" Fortec Star version from Jonsa. Digiwave (now Homevision) products are known for low prices.
Not a strong candidate if you are looking for a quality dish with good performance. Personally, I would find a good quality dish on Craigslist.

I can get a 210cm Prime Focus Dish out of Canada (Digiwave) for $320.00 plus $69.00 shipping. I'm asking right now if it

Am 99.98% certain those DW dishes are stationnary.

The panels are very thin, .7t. Same product design as the "out of production" Fortec Star version from Jonsa. Digiwave (now Homevision) products are known for low prices.
Not a strong candidate if you are looking for a quality dish with good performance. Personally, I would find a good quality dish on Craigslist.

Keep an eye on Toucan's almost hourly updated DISHES thread. Recently we've seen a few good dishes out of Cali.

http://www.satelliteguys.us/threads/304781-more-Craigslist-dishes-for-your-perusal

Pure junk. I own one and its the bain of my existence. Its incredibly cheap and flimsy metal, you look at it funny and it'll bend and warp. Ive wrapped baked potatoes in stronger tin foil.

Dont spend your hard earned money on one. I think I paid $75 for mine and I feel ripped off.

UDL

First when I started with C-band I had a 7 1/2 footer mesh dish, which was ( just ) ok, but I was missing channels.
1/2 to 3/4 year later I got a 10 footer mesh dish for $50, which improved everything very much.
If you have room , get a 10 footer.

I tried a C/KU band LNBF on the 7 1/2 and 10 footer, but it is not perfect because it is not possible to get both bands tuned in to max performance at the same time.
On the ku band, your 90 cm dish would perform better. My turbo dish that dishnetwork left behind performed better on KU than the KU on the 10 footer.

I use my c-band dish for c band only and my Ku dish for ku band.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)