Going C-Band ... Have a question!

Status
Please reply by conversation.
Well ... I've spotted a couple BUDS in my neighborhood. I'm going to knock on their doors tomorrow to see if they would like to have them disposed of for free (>: One doesn't even have an LNB on it. So, hopefully that one will be for the taking. If I have to buy a new one, I've got my eye on the Fortec Star 240cm (FC08P). I've noticed the wild fluctuation in prices on the C-Band dishes. One place will ask $365, and the next will ask $799.00 for the same exact dish. As of today, I haven't found a single new 240cm dish for sale in all of Socal. Every time I find one it's on the East Cost where I have to pay a fortune to ship it. Most of the places I've emailed (found on Google) don't even reply. Some of them I've called have been quite rude on the phone "We don't have it, were not getting any more, so goodbye). What a NIGHTMARE! Anyway, I haven't given up yet. So lets see what tomorrow brings.

Most of us here wouldn't let you spend $200 on the 2.4m Fortec.

If you absolutely have to have new, I'm sure we can recommend a nice commercial dish for $1000-1500!
and another $300-400 for a motor.

Meanwhile, used BUDs come with a motor... ;)

Edit: Fat Air gave some commercial dish web sites in post 8, above.
Did you look at those?

Well ... I've spotted a couple BUDS in my neighborhood. I'm going to knock on their doors tomorrow to see if they would like to have them disposed of for free (>: One doesn't even have an LNB on it.
take 10 $20 bills with you.(if it's a 10' $100 for 8') better spent on a used than new junk.
offer $50 and see what happens
leave your phone number so if change of mind happens.
good luck

take 10 $20 bills with you.(if it's a 10' $100 for 8') better spent on a used than new junk.
offer $50 and see what happens
leave your phone number so if change of mind happens.
good luck

I'm not against paying for a good dish, but there's an old rule that covers this: "The first person to mention a price LOSES".

Don't offer money straight off, but keep it open as an option and you can always use the "wouldjatake.." speel...

I'm not against paying for a good dish, but there's an old rule that covers this: "The first person to mention a price LOSES".

Don't offer money straight off, but keep it open as an option and you can always use the "wouldjatake.." speel...

this fellow is ready to spend $400 + for junk
if he takes $200 with him and gets a good 10' dish He is a BIG winner imo

this fellow is ready to spend $400 + for junk
if he takes $200 with him and gets a good 10' dish He is a BIG winner imo

Yup, but even more so if he gets the dish for $100, and spends the rest on the other equipment that he'll need.
Basically, if you hit the "sellers" greed button too quickly, it might not go so good.

Yup, but even more so if he gets the dish for $100, .
true
but real bartering skills are not learned on the net.not for me
hoped he had them. :D

edit
paid
13'BV/DH perf , $100
10'KTI $ 100
10'KTI $ Free
10'KTI w/Ajak h-h, $ 225
10'KTI w/Ajak h-h, $ 325
10'Wineguard w/Ajak h-h , Free
10'Wineguard Free
10'Wineguard $ 150
7.5' KTI w/ Ajak h-h, $75
7.5 Star Trak,$75
8'Echostar, made $250
7.5 Wineguard, $ 100

avg $75

Last edited:
My 7 1/2 footer was free and the guy was happy to get rid off it, since it was laying disassembled in the weeds.
My 10 footer was $50, but the guy disassembled it from his place and brought to the place where I worked, that saved me time and gasoline. Caution on that option though..... this dish was warped a little and I had to straighten it a bit since it was handled rough for disassemble. Also you may have to make sure that you get all the parts ( hopefully ), which I received all the parts. And last...If a dish is close enough to you, you usually do not have to touch the adjustment, but if someone is taking it down for you they may touch them so it easier for them to disassemble it.

For a 1st timer in setting up a used C-band dish, it is much easier and less time consuming if those adjustments are close already.

Well .... everyone has spoken, and there is always good advice here. I've got my eye on a BUD that's just down the street. Most of the BUDS I've seen have been painted black. This BUD looks to be anodized aluminum. I've never seen another one like it (but of course, I haven't been looking until recently). It's partly below roof level so I can't tell what kind of mount it has on it. The good thing is that it doesn't have an FLNB mounted on it, so they aren't using it. One night this week I'm gonna go down there and have a chat with them to see if they would like to part with it. I would never offer to pay anything for it until I've had a good look at it. Then as you suggested .... maybe $100 for a 10 footer. Regarding an antenna, capture area is everything. One can never go wrong by having a larger antenna. I'll let you know what I find out about the BUD down the street.

Gentlemen .... I've got NEWS. The people down the street do want to part with their BUD. The people in the house are renters, the BUD belongs to the owner. However the owner told them they could sell it if anyone
ever inquired about it. Anyway, I've got an appointment to take a look at the dish close up tomorrow. The tenant said that it doesn't appear to be motorized. But, it is mounted on a pole. So I can only assume that it
has a polar mount. I'm gonna take some pictures and post them here. Your opinions would be extremely valuable in deciding if it's a good BUD or not.

Now you're talkin'! :up

Get close up and distant shots, and from various angles.
See if you can get daylight or front-lit shots, as back-lit can be hard to interpret.
Whatever you come up with, we'll try to give you our best advice.

And don't get too anxious to spend all that $100. :)
I seem to find dishes in clusters...
as soon as a good one comes along,
...more show up, as well!

Spend $20 or $50 on this one, and you won't have any inhibition if another (better) shows up next month. ;)

IF they insist on $100~, and you really want the dish, make them WORK for it! If at all possible, get the guy to help you take it down, or whatever else help you need to get it in your truck or trailer. That'll save some time and your back...

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)