Going from two 722's to one 722 and two 612's

mfoster711

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jul 8, 2010
College Station, Tx
I currently have two 722 DVR's but I recently replaced one standard TV with another HD TV so I have 3 HD and 1 standard.

I want to use one 711 and two 612 DVR's. I am a little confused how the wiring might change. Right now I have 2 cable wires coming off the main satellite dish and one goes to each 722 DVR. Are they going to need to run a 3rd wire from the main dish and to the new DVR? What is involved with making this switch?

mfoster711 said:
I currently have two 722 DVR's but I recently replaced one standard TV with another HD TV so I have 3 HD and 1 standard.

I want to use one 711 and two 612 DVR's. I am a little confused how the wiring might change. Right now I have 2 cable wires coming off the main satellite dish and one goes to each 722 DVR. Are they going to need to run a 3rd wire from the main dish and to the new DVR? What is involved with making this switch?

Yes you will need a 3rd wire. One wire to each box with a separator at each.

Sorry about your change. Haven't read much positive here about the ViP612.

If watching the same program on two HDTVs is ok, you could run component & RCA audio cables from one ViP722 to the second HDTV. Then you only pay for two boxes. Two good boxes. And no extra coax from the dish.

Ever get Dish to give you a discount?

I am needing to go from two 722 receivers on my account to one 722 and two 612 receivers. Dish is wanting $200 to swap out the receivers and $95 for the install PLUS I must agree to 2 more years.

I don't want to pay this money for the privilege to lease their equipment. Since I am at the end of my 2 year agreement I thought they should do it for free if I am willing to agree to 2 more years. Literally, I can save money by switching to DirecTv but I don't really want to mess with that.

Have any of you ever got them to make an exception or give you something for free or at least at a discount?

Sorry about your change. Haven't read much positive here about the ViP612.
Really. Now I am worried. I will have to search the forums for that. I only want to switch because I pay $17 per month for the extra 722 DVR. Adding a third 722 would be another $17 per month. The 612 are only $10 per month.

That's the going standard, $100 per. Freebies are a thing of the past. You can get the $95.00 install down to $15.00 if you have DHPP.

mfoster711 said:
I am needing to go from two 722 receivers on my account to one 722 and two 612 receivers. Dish is wanting $200 to swap out the receivers and $95 for the install PLUS I must agree to 2 more years.

I don't want to pay this money for the privilege to lease their equipment. Since I am at the end of my 2 year agreement I thought they should do it for free if I am willing to agree to 2 more years. Literally, I can save money by switching to DirecTv but I don't really want to mess with that.

Have any of you ever got them to make an exception or give you something for free or at least at a discount?

See my response in your other related thread. You may not want to do this.

Anyway, if you had DHPP (now called Service Plan I think) it might be $15 or even zero rather than $95.

Lately Dish has been more stingy with discounts. It takes them a while to recoup their investment.

That's the going standard, $100 per. Freebies are a thing of the past.
I just don't see the logic in charging me $100 to downgrade a 722 to a 612. Seems like I should get that for free. I would be willing to pay the $100 for adding another 612 but the $100 downgrade really chaps my hide.

Get two 211 pay the $40 fee to add an external drives and you will have two DVR for $7 each per month.

I just don't see the logic in charging me $100 to downgrade a 722 to a 612. Seems like I should get that for free. I would be willing to pay the $100 for adding another 612 but the $100 downgrade really chaps my hide.
You are surrendering a 722. You are paying for two new boxes. Like it or not.

DO NOT cancel and try to come back as a new customer in 90 days. They probably will not accept you as such. Reports vary. Even if you came back under a new name and SS#, they are not going to be eager to give you 3 expensive boxes for next to nothing.

Just cancel, wait 90 days, then come back as a new customer. Get $20 basic cable in the meantime.
Don't want to mess with that. If anything, I will switch to DirecTv. Don't want to do that but their new Whole Home DVR service sounds nice and I could save a couple hundred dollars over the next two years.

I am curious if I decided to come back to Dish in 2 years will they treat me as a new customer and I be able to get the new customer discounts then.