Good Article -

Status
Please reply by conversation.
I doubt D* is sitting on their A$$ waiting for someone to buy them. A business will always has a better chance of selling if they are at the top of their game....D* is out of bandwidth. D12 will bring them back up.

I do question my own logic though. If they are out of bandwith, why not dump those old Mpeg 2 HD channels and use that bandwidth to add more HD elsewhere? Or are those on a different bird, so it wouldn't make a difference?

Now when D12 goes up either in mid October (not likely) or mid December (more likely since another satellite is going up mid November) with activation probably in February, I remain skeptical of D*'s ability or willingness to negotiate contracts for additional HD channels. Their recent track record in this regard since Malone bought them is bad.
This is my concern as well.

It will be interesting to see what happens and I hope they load up on good national HD, however if we use the history of the past to show us the future then I think some folks will be disappointed when D12 goes up and they dont get all the new HD they want.

I do question my own logic though. If they are out of bandwith, why not dump those old Mpeg 2 HD channels and use that bandwidth to add more HD elsewhere? Or are those on a different bird, so it wouldn't make a difference?

The old MPEG2 HD channels are on satellite spots 110 and/or 119. 110 and 119 are being phased out for US customers and will only be used for international customers. So the space being taken up by the old channels isn't reusable for new HD channels.

The old MPEG2 HD channels are on satellite spots 110 and/or 119. 110 and 119 are being phased out for US customers and will only be used for international customers. So the space being taken up by the old channels isn't reusable for new HD channels.

Oh...ok thanks...that makes sense....

Wow Perfect timeing today for this thread! I was gone from my house today as I went up north for a job fair, and when i came home I was greeted by my wife and the uverse installer. Apparently my Connie went and called uverse two days ago and set her appointment up for today. She knew that I was getting rid of Directv, and wasted no time! I just wish she got with me first as I was going to get dish, but over all not bad. I think uverse changed their encoders as on most of the channels the pq is now damm good, I was comparing Bio and and history hd from their cband counterparts, and WOW! I honestly couldnt notice a diffrence between the two. QVC HD seemed a little darker, but over all the microblocking that was happening is virtually gone. Well see when it comes to wrestling, but so far im impressed!

I agree with that column and I'm starting to get really disapointed in DirecTv's lack of keeping up with Dish and other providers programming wise. It appears they are locked into a holding pattern for some reason. Last Fall, DirecTv could've easily added a few more HD channels to keep their customers happy but instead added mostly just a bunch of new HD PPV's.

darn DJ Rob I broke my screen on the laptop trying to get rid of that ant. Is that that why Direct Tv is not announcing their plans for HD because of that :D

Swanni...

...as sung by Al Jolscum with lyrics by Rufus Wainwrong

"Swanni, how I love you, how I love you when you finally open your yap and babble something half-way nonsensical. The folks at D* will see me no more, when I get to that FiOS TV shore.

Charlie Charlie, I'm coming back to Charlie. Charlie, Charlie, I love to have TurboHD at home."

I amuse myself... :D

It sure does not seem to be hurting Directv since they are getting many many more subscribers than Dish Network (heck Dish Network was losing subscribers). No wonder why Directv is not concerned about it. Remember a long time ago when Dish Network said that they WOULD be the HD leader?

How many HD PPV channels is DirecTV using now? Especially the ones that duplicate the same movie but are staggered by 30 minutes. If there are three then cut it back to 2 and use the bandwidth for a national HD channel. But, then this thought is moot with football season starting and the need for bandwidth for NFLST.

I'm just hoping that the new Sat going up allows Joplin, Mo to finally get locals.

It's the only thing I miss from Dish Network. I have an AM21 and OTA antenna combo, but it's just not cutting it as only ABC and Fox come in reliably. CBS and Fox never come in.

Sure new national hd channels would be nice as well, but locals are what I'm craving... even if it's only SD locals... as that would be better than nothing.

The thing is this area is dominated by Dish Network due mostly to the lack of locals... for every 2 or 3 DirecTv dishes you see 15 or 16 Dish Network dishes easily.

I do feel at least some would switch due to the increased sports, if only the locals would be added.

Here's hoping.

D*'s lack of new national HD has been very disappointing to me. Swanni is finally getting around to the topic we've been discussing here for several months. I never imagined D* would become so passive on national HD. They aren't missing 36 national HD channels, I think it is approaching 50 now.

A big part of my frustration is that D* has for months been adding HD locals and PPV HD. I never watch either one of them. I get HD locals but couldn't care less if they took them away.

I jumped to D* in June of 2008 after 10 years with E*. I am happy that I can now get MLB:EI, but that is about the extent of my satisfaction with D*. If E* offered MLB:EI, I'd break my contract and go back. I will certainly seriously re-evaluate my options after baseball season ends.

Guys I am just going on what I have been told...

Remember when the last satellite was launch they were promising us over 150 channels... what happened?

Look how much new national HD we got from D11.

Come on Scott you know what happened ?,John Malone.By the articles I have read Chase Carey(DirecTV's ex- CEO) did not get along with him so he left.So we are now left with a DirecTV that is now run very similar to Dish as long as the numbers are up they don't care who is HD leader.I believe John and Charlie may be related.:rolleyes:

John and Charlie are actually good friends who live next to each other.

So as a DirecTV customer are you saying that if John wants to turn DirecTV into Dish Network that it's ok?

My feeling is a lot of the Luster DirecTV had is fading quick. Its actually sad to see.

John and Charlie are actually good friends who live next to each other.

So as a DirecTV customer are you saying that if John wants to turn DirecTV into Dish Network that it's ok?

My feeling is a lot of the Luster DirecTV had is fading quick. Its actually sad to see.

No it's not OK with me but it starting to look( DirecTV/Versus) like it is and yes it's sad to see.If DirecTV starts coming out with alot of "because we can fees" we will know it for certain.:(

P.S. John and Charlie live next to each other? There goes the neighborhood!.:eek:

Status
Please reply by conversation.