Good Article -

Status
Please reply by conversation.
Why dont we wait till the new sat D12 that launches in december is up & running & then on the quarters 6/30/10, 9/30/10, 12/31/10 lets see where we stand.

Then all u blurry picture non sunday ticket dish people can rag on directv if they havent come thru with more HD by then.

Because even with the new launch, Directv would not be able to meet the demands of their costomers. Right now directv is about 50 channels behind the game, when compared to everyone else especally uverse and Fios wich is eating a big hole into their coustomers. When, I called to cancel, they said (the lady on the phone) that Directv has the most HD. I called BS and asked if they carried any of the HBO / cinimax channels in hd such as HBO 2HD/ Outermaxhd, or any of the Comcast channels in HD such as E!. Silence was on the other end, and then the lady said that they only air 5 min of programming a day in hd. I said no they dont, the only ones that do are the viacom channels such as MTVHD, CMTHD, and those are channels YOU CARRY! If anyone is the HD leader its not Directv, its uverse where I get 150 plus channels in HD. (granted the quality is questionable on 5% of them. ) But anyhow, the point still stands.

Now Im getting bombarded with calls from Directv trying to get me back. The simple fix to that was to block there number!

But i could say there problems with fios too....in NY here fios doesnt have MSG HD....Directv does....& thats the 2 major NY basketball/hockey teams so thats a major problem.

Now if your 1 of those guys that isnt into sports (dont hit me with your purse) then it isnt a probelm but for alot of guys it is.

I signed up for Directv because they're great with HD. All the baseball games have been in HD, this Sunday every football game will be in HD, my friends will be watching this new UEFA soccer in HD. And the US Open with all the HD was great. I looked and didn't think all that was on other providers. I'm new here but people seem to be so negative. I'm loving Directv. My son just started using this nfl player tracker too and seems happy. This has been great.

Why dont we wait till the new sat D12 that launches in december is up & running & then on the quarters 6/30/10, 9/30/10, 12/31/10 lets see where we stand.

For people who have already been waiting for many months, in this age of exploding HD programming and new HDTVs, it isn't that satisfying for the response to be why don't we just wait another year.

When our provider is not providing 50+ HD channels and falls behind further every month, it gets frustrating.

I agree with those who have identified John Malone as the culprit. This is clearly the case. He is not a champion of HD. And he may have a good business case. The D* target market appears to be to provide a lot of sports in HD, and just enough of the non-sports national HD channels to be reasonably competitive in that arena. Then focus on getting the HD Locals up.

This will satisfy a lot of customers. The ones least likely to be satisfied are those who place a high value on non-sports HD: national HD channels and movie channels.

It does puzzle me that they are dinking around on providing Vs HD and ESPU HD, as those address their primary market.

Then all u blurry picture non sunday ticket dish people can rag on directv if they havent come thru with more HD by then.
That's what was said last year when we all waited for D11.

I signed up for Directv because they're great with HD. All the baseball games have been in HD, this Sunday every football game will be in HD, my friends will be watching this new UEFA soccer in HD. And the US Open with all the HD was great. I looked and didn't think all that was on other providers. I'm new here but people seem to be so negative. I'm loving Directv. My son just started using this nfl player tracker too and seems happy. This has been great.
DirecTV is fine as far as HD content for sports, it's the non-sports content that blows. The thing that makes people, like myself, angry is that DTV advertised being the HD leader (and they still do) 2 years ago. Many people, like myself, switched specifically for the HD content, and once they got us into an agreement they stopped adding channels and have since been surpassed by many providers.

It is amazing how this industry goes around and around in cycles. It was not that long ago when DirecTV customers were gloating over the incredible expansion of HD, while Dish network languished for more than 8 months. Then Dish started added channels, and DirecTV stopped. And we are just at the inverse of where we were.

The downside of this is that when both companies were trying to be competitive everyone won. More HD for all. I'd like to see that happen, of course, I kind of wish half of those cable HD channels that have been added would actully run stuff in HD. :)

DirecTV is fine as far as HD content for sports ...
You're right, Directv has been great for sports. Best ever. Everything has been in HD and the mix channels for golf and tennis were super. For me, non-sports has been great too with local channels in HD and dozens of other channels. Can't hardly keep up with what we record. Also, from reading these posts and the links in these posts it's great to hear that the new satellite will have more space for more channels. The only channel we want is ESPNU.

Because even with the new launch, Directv would not be able to meet the demands of their costomers. Right now directv is about 50 channels behind the game, when compared to everyone else especally uverse and Fios wich is eating a big hole into their coustomers. When, I called to cancel, they said (the lady on the phone) that Directv has the most HD. I called BS and asked if they carried any of the HBO / cinimax channels in hd such as HBO 2HD/ Outermaxhd, or any of the Comcast channels in HD such as E!. Silence was on the other end, and then the lady said that they only air 5 min of programming a day in hd. I said no they dont, the only ones that do are the viacom channels such as MTVHD, CMTHD, and those are channels YOU CARRY! If anyone is the HD leader its not Directv, its uverse where I get 150 plus channels in HD. (granted the quality is questionable on 5% of them. ) But anyhow, the point still stands.

Now Im getting bombarded with calls from Directv trying to get me back. The simple fix to that was to block there number!

Unfortunately in my area there is only Charter cable,Dish or DirecTV no FIOS or Uverse here or probably ever will be.I am an SD subscriber and DirecTV has the most offering of SD national basic channels I have seen to date,does DirecTV need to add SD basic channels in my view? only Hallmark Movie Channel,but I would not go back to Dish to get one SD national basic channel and lose the rest.It's kind of ironic that I had to subscribe to a company that is mainly known for sports(plus I don't really care for sports) to get my national SD basic channel fix.Who would have thought?.;)

HD Premium sports : Still DIRECTV-sans Versus.
HD Premium Movies and national cable channels : Still DISH.

Too bad that we can't get a hybrid system that would allow you to sub to one for sports and the other for every thing else , using one sat receiver. That would be really cool.

HD Premium sports : Still DIRECTV-sans Versus.
HD Premium Movies and national cable channels : Still DISH.

Too bad that we can't get a hybrid system that would allow you to sub to one for sports and the other for every thing else , using one sat receiver. That would be really cool.

Wont work, Directv requres you to sub to a programming packge inorder to get sports packages.

By many accounts, D* does have some available bandwidth. If they would utilize that plus dump a few of the HD PPV channels, to add another 8-10 national HD channels, they would make up a lot of the ground lost.

For example, they could add the following 10 HD channels - which offer a variety of programming and which are available from many of their competitors:

ESPU
Versus
Travel
Lifetime
Lifetime Movie Network
Hallmark Movie Channel
2 additional HBO channels
2 additional Cinemax channels

I'd be pretty happy with these additions, even though I wouldn't watch a few of them.

Here is my biggest issue: the same people complaining about a lack of HD channels used to complain about HD Lite. You can have some of the channels in great quality. You can have all of the channels in crappy quality. But you can't have all of the channels in great quality. Dish has added and added and their picture quality has gone downhill.

For years, DirecTV subscribers ripped into them for lack of picture quality on HD channels. We all got what we requested. Now people are clammering for less quality and more quantity. One side of the fence or the other gentlemen or it gets very uncomfortable.

Last edited:
Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)