Good Article -

Status
Please reply by conversation.
I don't like HD Lite and I applaud D* for at least providing half-way decent HD. I still see compression-related artifacts in many HD programs, but it's usually fairly good.

My gripe is more how they are allocating their HD bandwidth. Rather than provide popular national HD channels, they are using too much for PPV HD and being too conservative in using the remaining bandwidth. By over allocating to PPV HD, I get the message that they over prioritize selling PPV over providing high value for their subscribers. I can understand providing some PPV HD, but I think they take it too far. I pay a lot for HD and Premium Movie packages, yet they still withhold several HD movie channels from me and use it for so many PPV HD channels. So they are flat-out telling me that despite paying $120+ a month, they don't value me as a customer.

I've read many posts of where people say that D* must be very careful in how they allocate the remaining limited bandwidth. But if they never offer anything with it, it might as well not even exist.

I believe that they could offer all or nearly all of the 10 HD channels I listed, with no decrease in HD image quality. If I'm wrong, then I would rather keep the image quality high and have fewer channels.

My gripe is more how they are allocating their HD bandwidth. Rather than provide popular national HD channels, they are using too much for PPV HD and being too conservative in using the remaining bandwidth.
I thought they use all that PPV to share. Yesterday, it seemed like all the PPV were turned off for NFL and Baseball.

It' been mentioned MANY times that all those PPV's are mainly there so they can be shut down and turned over to handle needs of the sports packages and part time RSN's. There's a detailed thread at DirecTV HD - Current Listing - DBSTalk.Com that goes over what's on what transponders and how things are shut down and fired up to cover those sports channels needs.

I DO realize that if I turn on my HDTV right now, that I cannot watch Versus HD from D*.

The point is, it WILL be back (soon) - Comcrap is loosing a bunch of money & this 2nd rate channel, from the loss of all these D* subs.

But FWIW, I DO agree with you on some of those other channels - it's totally asinine that D* is NOT carrying Travel Ch or WGN America in HD! :rant:

I don't like HD Lite and I applaud D* for at least providing half-way decent HD. I still see compression-related artifacts in many HD programs, but it's usually fairly good.
Praising D* for providing half-way decent HD is like praising a consultant for being a half-wit. Just say no to HD-Lite in each form, fashion, and every reincarnation (e.g., DishHD-Lite, TurboHD-Lite, D* HD, etc.)

I agree with the articule, just the other day I called D* about my unhappiness with them and told them I was going to switch to E*. He in turn told me no need because of D* is the number one leader and blah blah blah. I told him straight up cut the BS talk and talk for real. I said why am I paying 12.99 for 2 cinemax channels? He said It's three channels..for anyone who thinks cinemax east or west are two totally different channels is an idiot. He tried to explain the differences to me and that it was two completely different channels, but I wasen't hearing it. I said E* has all there premiums in HD why doesn't D* do the same? He kept on about how they offer the most HD..then I cut him off saying I don't need ST for my favorite team is the Giants and I get them locally. So all those HD channels mean jack squat to me. I could go on with this but you see my gripe.

Back in June my apartment building finally ok'd us to get satellite so I bought D* due to price. I'm happy with the HD content but wish there was more considering I'm paying for it. I would cancel it now and switch to E* but I would have to pay $420 and uninstall the dish myself which is just f**kin crazy. Hopefully things will turn around which the launch of D12 but who knows.

Praising D* for providing half-way decent HD is like praising a consultant for being a half-wit. Just say no to HD-Lite in each form, fashion, and every reincarnation (e.g., DishHD-Lite, TurboHD-Lite, D* HD, etc.)

If I had an option to get better HD quality, I would take it. At present my best option is D*. One of the reasons why I left E* after 10 years with them was their lower quality HD. Living in a rural area, I don't expect to have a better option anytime soon.

This just affirms that Direct TV continues to be the king of marketing among all pay-tv services. It is true: people really do believe Direct TV is the HD leader because their extremely effective advertising tell them so.

This just affirms that Direct TV continues to be the king of marketing among all pay-tv services. It is true: people really do believe Direct TV is the HD leader because their extremely effective advertising tell them so.

Omg it my favorite person in the whole wide world it is the guy who thinks Charlie and Echostar are poor. Please again lay off the Kool-aid it not doing you any good.

I believe it to be two fold

1. as mention before excellent marketing

2. Most of the major networks are covered. Yes I know we could rattle off the networks not covered some I would call major but over all we get so few calls on the why dont you have this channel in HD it quite sad. Use to be people would call up about hd channels but since we have a good selection of them now they dont seem to care as much about the other ones. Personally I would like to see Travel HD and AMC HD. So I guess what I am saying is complain and complain alot about HD count again. so it makes it back on DTV operations call trends sheets.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts