Good DTV deal?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

LT9000

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Aug 4, 2008
I just signed up with DTV October 7 through DTV’s website. Here is the deal I got:

Startup costs:

Delivery fee 0.00

2 standard receivers free

1 HD receiver $99

1 HD DVR $99 (with $100 instant rebate)

Total startup $198

First months bill:

Plus HD DRV $72.99

DirecTV DVR Service $0.00

3 lease fee $14.97

HD Access $0.00

Total 87.96

- $18.00 online redemption

Total $69.96

Did I get a reasonably good deal? (I think it was called choice plus with the HD DVR special.)

Some folks were saying you can get free showtime or what have you if you call. It won’t be installed until October 20, so I’m wondering if I missed out on something that they might let me have before the install if I call them. Also I’m not a AAA member so that route is out.

Thanks for any input.

They now have a new offer where you can save an extra $5 per month and you could have gotten a FREE HD DVR instead of just a $100 rebate. I ordered on October 6th, and when I asked if I could get the extra $5 savings, after waiting 40 minutes on hold, my answer was that I could get the extra $5 off if I tell the installer when he activates my system that I want the current offer instead of the offer when I placed my order.

Hope this helps!

They now have a new offer where you can save an extra $5 per month and you could have gotten a FREE HD DVR instead of just a $100 rebate. I ordered on October 6th, and when I asked if I could get the extra $5 savings, after waiting 40 minutes on hold, my answer was that I could get the extra $5 off if I tell the installer when he activates my system that I want the current offer instead of the offer when I placed my order.

Hope this helps!

Thanks for the reply.

Any installers in the house? Do they have the authority to do that?

I wonder if I should make my own call to DTV or just wait for the installer and ask him like Mike is going to do. Not that big a deal I guess, but it's irritating to miss out on a better deal after you sign up.

they will also waive one of those lease fees too. also sign up for the going green offer to get a one time $20 credit on your next bill.

they will also waive one of those lease fees too. also sign up for the going green offer to get a one time $20 credit on your next bill.

It it too late? My install is scheduled for October 20. Do I have any leverage?

If you're install isn't until the 20th, I'd call them back. Right now you should be getting the HDDVR for free, not just $100 instant rebate. You should also get HBO, Starz and Showtime for 3 months for free.

The $5 off for a year is for signing up auto bill pay, which you do after your install, if you're on the current promo.

You have leverage . You're leverage is simply canceling the install if they don't change your promo. You can then always re-sign up through other avenues. I wouldn't leave it to the installer to try and get that sorted out.

It should look something like this:

2 DIRECTV® Receiver $0.00
1 DIRECTV® HD Receiver $99.00
1 DIRECTV Plus® HD DVR Receiver $199.00
Instant Online Rebate -$199.00
1 Standard Professional Installation $0.00

Total:
$99.00

PLUS HD DVR— Locals Included $72.99
HBO® $14.00
Starz!® $11.00
SHOWTIME UNLIMITED® $10.00
DIRECTV DVR Service $0.00
3 Lease Fee $14.97
HD Access $0.00
$35/mo. credit for HBO, STARZ and SHOWTIME for 3 months -$35.00

Total:*
$87.96
Additional Discount
-$5.00
Online redemption
-$18.00

Total:* $64.96

If you're install isn't until the 20th, I'd call them back. Right now you should be getting the HDDVR for free, not just $100 instant rebate. You should also get HBO, Starz and Showtime for 3 months for free.

The $5 off for a year is for signing up auto bill pay, which you do after your install, if you're on the current promo.

You have leverage . You're leverage is simply canceling the install if they don't change your promo. You can then always re-sign up through other avenues. I wouldn't leave it to the installer to try and get that sorted out.

It should look something like this:

2 DIRECTV® Receiver $0.00

Total:
$99.00

PLUS HD DVR— Locals Included $72.99
HBO® $14.00
Starz!® $11.00
SHOWTIME UNLIMITED® $10.00
3 Lease Fee $14.97
HD Access $0.00

Total:*
$87.96
Additional Discount
-$5.00
Online redemption
-$18.00

Total:* $64.96

Thanks for all that info tippets.

Another thing I found strange, is that this message was in the email DTV sent me after the sign up:

"You will select and activate your programming package during installation."

That makes it sound like you can change things when the installer gets to your house. And Mike in this thread said after he called in they referred him to the installer.

Just one more thing before I over do this thread here... Can you always cancel your order before the install with no penalty or money lost? (I gave my credit card info online.)

Yes you can cancel before. Like yourself I signed up via the telephone on Monday 10-13. The deal mentioned with HD DVR for Free is what I got and second STD DVR for $99. While the CSR finalized the call she told me I have 5 days to Accept Directv without being pentalized. It worked the same way when I did Dishnetwork 4 years ago. So I assume this is a standard.

What if the installer comes to your house and you don't like the installation methods he will be using. Could you cancel the install without penalty?

What if the installer comes to your house and you don't like the installation methods he will be using. Could you cancel the install without penalty?

yes you can as long as you haven't activated the account after the install. i know this by experience.

Yes you can cancel before. Like yourself I signed up via the telephone on Monday 10-13. The deal mentioned with HD DVR for Free is what I got and second STD DVR for $99. While the CSR finalized the call she told me I have 5 days to Accept Directv without being pentalized. It worked the same way when I did Dishnetwork 4 years ago. So I assume this is a standard.

So what happens after 5 days? I'm already beyond that.

So what happens after 5 days? I'm already beyond that.

They might allow you to cancel the service with no penalty except that you won't get any money back that you paid for the receivers. they'll send you boxes to ship back the equipment except for the dish

I'm gonna update in case it may be of use for others. I called in today to get the new deal and the CSR said he could not do it.

He said I would need to call directv sales and cancel my order and then re-order to get the new deal. Since I last posted, I got a DTV flyer in the mail that appears to be what folks here are talking about.

Friday I may call up and cancel/re-order although it will probably push my install date into mid/late November. I think that new deal is what I already had except it has a $199 rebate and 3 months movie channels free.

I have tow q's as well:

1. How does this look?
1 Handling and Delivery Fee $0.00
1 DIRECTV Plus® DVR Receiver $99.00
2 Internet Connection Kit (Wall Mount) $49.98
Total: $247.98

2. What will this be per month after all is said and done? And do I need to go with the "best" package; or are there just some minor channel differences with the other packages?

PREMIER $104.99
HD Access $9.99
DIRECTV PROTECTION PLAN $5.99
2 Lease Fee $9.98
Total:* $95.95
Additional Discount -$5.00
Online redemption -$18.00
Total:* $72.95

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts