Ilya

XXI Century Explorer
Original poster
Staff member
HERE TO HELP YOU!
Lifetime Supporter
Feb 16, 2004
NE OH
Can someone recommend a good Remote Desktop client for the new iPad, that would take advantage of the retina resolution?
I am looking for a true RDP client, not LogMeIn or VNC. Looks like most of the good RDP apps are not free.
I don't mind paying for a good app. Just want to hear some app recommendations from those who actually use them, before I make a purchase.
Thanks!

Sent from my iPad 3 using SatelliteGuys

At first I was going to say Air Display, but that only works on the same network. Not sure if it would do what you want. But I tried it out yesterday, and it works pretty well. My mac was on my iPad, with touch controls for the mouse. The PQ is good, but not quite full retina, since the resolution on the desktop is NOT retina-level.

Has anyone tried Desktop Connect, Jump Desktop, iTap, or PocketCloud Remote Desktop Pro?

At first I was going to say Air Display, but that only works on the same network.

The same network (or VPN) would be fine for my purposes, but as I understand, Air Display is not an RDP client.

The same network (or VPN) would be fine for my purposes, but as I understand, Air Display is not an RDP client.

Air Display does give you touch controls over the desktop. Not perfect, but it works. Was able to load programs on the mac, and do editing.

Haven't used any of those other programs - although I did try Pocket Desktop on the Galaxy Tab way back when....

I'd certainly love such a product to remotely access my desktop PC at work, especially to run the accounting software.

So I'm all ears.

Air Display does give you touch controls over the desktop. Not perfect, but it works. Was able to load programs on the mac, and do editing.

Just to clarify, I am specifically looking for an RDP client. RDP (Remote Desktop Protocol) is the protocol (a.k.a. Remote Desktop Services or Terminal Services) that is preinstalled in most versions of Windows, so it doesn't require any 3d-party software to be installed on the remote computer. And it is much faster and requires less bandwidth than most other remote control protocols, as it doesn't send screen snapshots.

For those who do not require RDP, I would recommend LogMeIn, which is now a free app and it is much easier to use and configure, especially if you need to use it over the Internet.

After reading some reviews and trying out a free version I decided to purchase the Pro version of PocketCloud, currently $11.99.
I like it so far. It's easy to use, does all I need and some more. However, some advanced features, like File Browser and Video Streaming (which I don't really need) require Premium Subscription ($5/month). We'll see how it works.

I use iTap RDP to log into Windows server 2008 R2. It works well on the ipad 2, and I think it would be even better on the new ipad. It is hard to use on the iphone since the screen is so small, but it does work.