Goodbye Charlie... (OFFICIAL I am Leaving DISH Thread)

I had D* in 05-06. I then switched to cable for a year, and now have Dish. The Standard Def was better on D*, but I see no difference in the HD quality between the 3.

That's interesting as I have had just the opposite experience,I have noticed the SD PQ is better with Dish Network and since The Krell told me that Dish Network's SD in MPEG2 is 544x480 I figured that must be the reason?.When I had D* for 3 years(2006-2009) there seemed to me that something was different but I couldn't quite figure it out but I did know that D*'s MPEG2 SD was 480x480 when I was with D*.:confused:

I have left dish after thirteen years. The final straw was not being able to see my NHL team, due to the MSG dispute.

My locals channels have had low signal strength due to the satellite slipping and the spot beam moving. I had directv installed on 11-29-10, and am happy with it so far. The picture seems sharper with better color, and I love the multi-room viewing.

Sorry Charlie, perhaps being cheap and screwing over customers isn't the best business plan. I would have stayed if the MSG dispute would have been resolved in a reasonable manner, but I have missed over a quarter of the season. Will dish get MSG back in HD? Who knows. I don't have to worry any longer.

I have left dish after thirteen years. The final straw was not being able to see my NHL team, due to the MSG dispute.

My locals channels have had low signal strength due to the satellite slipping and the spot beam moving. I had directv installed on 11-29-10, and am happy with it so far. The picture seems sharper with better color, and I love the multi-room viewing.

Sorry Charlie, perhaps being cheap and screwing over customers isn't the best business plan. I would have stayed if the MSG dispute would have been resolved in a reasonable manner, but I have missed over a quarter of the season. Will dish get MSG back in HD? Who knows. I don't have to worry any longer.

Agree with this statement. They will start losing more and more customers, especially the way they seemed not to care about keeping me. Not a sports fan but with the VOOM debacle and then Smithsonian Channel and replace several good HD channels with a fishing network and ANOTHER crime channel and a huge bill every month we had enough. D is getting installed Wednesday am. Like previously said. Thanks for the help in the recent past.

Jeff

I have a co-worker who just scheduled a FIOS install for a few days from now. She's leaving for the same reason -- the failure of DISH to get MSG back so she can watch Sabres games. And she's been a subscriber for at least 10 years.

I have to believe that DISH is losing hundreds, even thousands, of subscribers in the Buffalo area because of this. And they must be losing alot more in the NYC area. Someone at DISH HQ HAS to be noticing the defections to the competition in New York State.

Apparently, they don't believe that keeping a customer is easier than getting a new one.

You have that right. I will be gone in April as soon as my contract and subscription to NHL Center Ice expires. I believe Dish must be losing hockey and basketball fans in the NYC area by the thousands. It amazes me that nothing is being done by Dish. Although I suppose the way that Dish has approached the YES network situation I shouldn't be surprised. When MSG was first pulled I received emails from the Devils saying I should switch to Cablevision, Direct TV or Fios. Come April I will.

I really didn't want to switch, it was a choice, but I really felt backed into a corner. It's not that I'll watch every single minute of the Buffalo Sabres' games, but I want the choice to watch it. I haven't heard any news at all on the negotiations with MSG, and felt the time was right for me.

I must say, that I am soooo impressed with directv receivers, very slick. It is a bit different than dish, but I'm adjusting. The channels are numbered differently, that has been the biggest difference, but it's good for my brain to learn new things.

I think the fourth quarter numbers for dish are going to show a hemorrhage of folks leaving. I can see dish dropping sports completely and going with just family programming. It is too bad because I was a loyal customer for a long time, sorry Charlie!

It's really sad to see that E* is going somewhere such as oblivion. I feel that if someone other than poverty Charlie is at the helm of E*, than we would not be able to be seeing these pull-offs of major channels over $1. It's sad too see that happen to what used to be a great company, but now it's just a pile of ruins. IMHO, I think that Charlie just needs E* to go bankrupt and be bought off by another company and than become An hero for his treatment of E* so that he can be remembered by what he did with his own company, Cheap and junk channels and unfriendly to Sports fans.

It's really sad to see that E* is going somewhere such as oblivion. I feel that if someone other than poverty Charlie is at the helm of E*, than we would not be able to be seeing these pull-offs of major channels over $1. It's sad too see that happen to what used to be a great company, but now it's just a pile of ruins. IMHO, I think that Charlie just needs E* to go bankrupt and be bought off by another company and than become An hero for his treatment of E* so that he can be remembered by what he did with his own company, Cheap and junk channels and unfriendly to Sports fans.

Maybe VOOM will come back and buy them out!! What did Kahn say..."Vengence is a dish best served cold!"

Jeff

Actually DISH has quite a few channels that D* doesn't have, like Indieplex, Retroplex, now another plex, ID-HD, NGC-HD, E-HD,etc. ...But I depend on DISH for sports in HD (that even FiOS doesn't have). They need to add at least the major city RSN's in HD 24/7. I am awaiting the CSN fiasco/fallout with the remaining CSN's (which are still there BTW) (another post is wrong about this as of 12/2 a.m.).

Last edited:
I am sick to death of the buggy VIP222K-HD receiver I have. It is the second one, and it does the same thing as the first. Whenever you have not touched the remote for a while, it decides ON IT'S OWN what channel it wants you to see. It always changes to a channel with infomercials. I schedule a show for an hour, and tape it, I come back and find it got 10 minutes of my show and 40 minutes of "Cindy Crawford's skin secrets". I get rain fade BEFORE there is any rain, because a the slightest hint of dark colds, the receiver starts seeking satellite(s) again. I am 20 months in to a 24 month contract and as soon as I can, I am going with another provider. They have sent me new receiver unit on time, and new remotes, and the damn thing keeps sending me to the infomercial channel, the same one each time.

Signal fade, and channel changing, as well as having a USB port that DOES NOT WORK mean I was promised WAY MORE than Dish Network delivered. I can't really post my opinion here, as it's pretty low! The service stinks, and the channels you get on the basic package are not so great.

Anyone else have a receiver with a mind of it's own?

The one and only advantage is I know about 5 minuted before it will rain, because my signal goes away.

I don't have the exact same dvr, but once in awhile, tv2 will start changing channels all by itself. I'm just waiting for a break in the weather then I'm done with dish.
going with direct tv - can't wait!

Also, the hd channels lose audio for about 5 seconds, mainly on the CBS network shows. Strange.

Ok here we go...

One big Goodbye Charlie Thread for those who feel they must leave DISH.

Folks remember to try not to judge members because they are leaving for another provider. They are making the decission they feel they must make to have the entertainment they want.

I actually like that people post that they are leaving so the companies know why and hopefully make changes to keep others from leaving as well.

Thanks for being SatelliteGuys!

Thank you Scott for your voice of reason.... I will always be a SalelliteGAL because of it. :)

Well, just got off of chat with the Th**** of the Loyalty department. We are cancelled as of 2/1/11. A number of factors, but ultimately it comes down to not enough value for what we get. I'm amazed at how people who have expressed dissatisfaction over the Disney/Dish quarrel have been ridiculed on occasion, but yes, that honestly was a 'last straw' for us. We decided we would give Dish a quarter to resolve, but they offered nothing for the loss in programming, and we do have two kids who are avid fans (and YES, I do watch the shows on occasion with my kids!).

We're not making a decision at this point with what we'll do next. Direct and Comcast all have their issues, so for now we'll take the time to make an informed decision rather than rushing into a replacement. We've got HD locals coming in OVA, and we may pick up a TiVo to simplify a single-source access to netflix, Amazon, etc.

Looks like we'll be paying the $15 to return our 722.

I will say kudos to Th**** who helped us out on chat tonight. She was quite courteous.

I've appreciated all the info that I've read here, though I've posted little. I wish you all the best. :up

Well, just got off of chat with the Th**** of the Loyalty department. We are cancelled as of 2/1/11. A number of factors, but ultimately it comes down to not enough value for what we get. I'm amazed at how people who have expressed dissatisfaction over the Disney/Dish quarrel have been ridiculed on occasion, but yes, that honestly was a 'last straw' for us. We decided we would give Dish a quarter to resolve, but they offered nothing for the loss in programming, and we do have two kids who are avid fans (and YES, I do watch the shows on occasion with my kids!).

We're not making a decision at this point with what we'll do next. Direct and Comcast all have their issues, so for now we'll take the time to make an informed decision rather than rushing into a replacement. We've got HD locals coming in OVA, and we may pick up a TiVo to simplify a single-source access to netflix, Amazon, etc.

Looks like we'll be paying the $15 to return our 722.

I will say kudos to Th**** who helped us out on chat tonight. She was quite courteous.

I've appreciated all the info that I've read here, though I've posted little. I wish you all the best. :up

E USED to offer departing subs something nice to remain, but that ended about a year ago.

Interestingly charlie would rather spend about a grand to replace you, aquisition costs plus free premiums, rather than invest 20 bucks a month or less to keep you around.

the beancounters have convinced charlie that subs will quit leaving, will be interesting to see what the 4th quarter churn was. I believe sub numbers will continue to drop even as costs to get new subs esclates.

Its a interesting business model that will likely come back to bite the stock price....

E USED to offer departing subs something nice to remain, but that ended about a year ago.

Interestingly charlie would rather spend about a grand to replace you, aquisition costs plus free premiums, rather than invest 20 bucks a month or less to keep you around.

the beancounters have convinced charlie that subs will quit leaving, will be interesting to see what the 4th quarter churn was. I believe sub numbers will continue to drop even as costs to get new subs esclates.

Its a interesting business model that will likely come back to bite the stock price....

It's interesting that you don't have any thing else to say except for this over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and...

It's interesting that you don't have any thing else to say except for this over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and...

Just wait! Any minute now DISH Network is gonna crumble! You just wait! Comcrap will prevail! /Hollar

Hell if he cares so much about E*'s finances why doesn't he get a job with them...

Sometimes no matter how often you say something the bulb just won't go off. Over and over and over just isn't enough.

That's actually kind of funny given how many people have said the same thing how many times about & to the same person about the same subject over and over and over and over and over? :D :eek:

I canceled my service a few days ago. Previously I was living with two other people, so paying 1/3 of the bill wasn't a big deal. Now I've got my own place. I can't justify spending $116 a month to watch tv shows. I thought about downgrading, but even at $50 or so, I'd be missing out on a lot of things I normally watch. So I called Dish and told them I'm leaving. They tried to give me some offers to stay. What sold me on leaving was when I asked the rep about an ETF, and she said I wouldn't be charged one. I signed a new 2 year deal in Jan 2010 when I got another 722k, so I thought I was going to be hit with the fee. Depending on how much it was going to be, I would consider moving to a really cheap package instead of paying money for nothing. But again, with no ETF, I was out the door. I made sure to ask a few times that I wouldn't get hit with the fee, and she told me flat out I wouldn't be charged. I will be sending my dvrs back in a few days, and be done with Dish.

Between Hulu and the websites of shows I watch, I can still see just about everything I want. It's a little less convenient than sitting on my couch and having DVR functionality, but the money saved is worth it.

I left DISH as well last month after 14 years. It was hard to do, but too many failed carriage agreements with various channel providers this past year, with the last straw being the lost of Comcast Sports California. I gave them a month to resolve that dispute and they couldn't come to terms, so I order Direct TV. I got a great deal through AAA, and I'm a happy camper again. So far so good with Direct TV. I get to see the channels I want, and I must admit the HD picture quality seems to be a bit better than what I was getting from DISH. I do miss the DISH DVR, but I'm slowing getting used to using my new Direct TV DVR.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts